“Very good!”

Pennyblacks
Ranked #619 of 2,245 Restaurants in Birmingham
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Pennyblacks is a lively, contemporary bar serving a wide range of wine, real ale and cider, along with a whole host of imaginative cocktails. With a live DJ from 8pm every Thursday, Friday and Saturday night, plus the biggest sports matches screened live, Pennyblacks is the perfect place to have fun with your mates. Hungry? Pennyblacks have you covered, with a tasty menu to tempt you from lite-bites and bar snacks, to pizzas, burgers and hotdogs galore!
London, United Kingdom
“Very good!”
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Every time I come to Birmingham, Pennyblacks is 'must visit' for me! I been there yesterday first time after the refurb, and it looks amazing! I cannot believe in previous comments about staff being rude, etc. Staff is always attentive and helpful. Unfortunately, we came there after 10pm and kitchen was closed, but we stayed there for drinks. They have a good range of cocktails, we tried few..delicious! Also, I noticed they have a new food menu, so next time I will definitely come here for a dinner!

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank N1511

“Birthday meal ruined by rude staff!!”
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Last night I went to Penny Blacks for a meal and drinks to celebrate a milestone birthday. The food was delicious and the evening started well. As soon as we arrived my friends told the waitress that it was my birthday at which point I was offered a birthday cocktail and I asked if it was free to be told it would be. When the bill arrived I had been charged for it so we queried it, at this point the waitress became instantly rude and defensive telling us that she never said anything about it being free. A friend of mine asked to speak to the manager. The manager, Charlotte, who stormed over and said "Who wants me?" We attempted to explain but she simply put her hands up to us and shouted "Calm down!" She informed us it wasn't company policy to do birthday drinks, I said that I appreciated that but if that was the case it was a member of her staff who made a mistake. This altercation continued with her shouting to such an extent that a security guard came over to check that we were ok! By the end of her shouting we had even been told we were stupid as she had already explained it once!

Highly disappointed as this ruined my birthday meal and could so easily have been resolved!

• Visited May 2014
6 Thank JETurne
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Miss”
Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

A group of 8 of us came here for a friends birthday and got off to a cracking start-attentive waitress who offered my friend a "birthday" cocktail so my friend asked if this was free and the waitress confirmed it was, when the bill came they had put the cocktail on the bill so we politely asked the waitress to remove it to which she denied ever saying it was free, the principle of this annoyed us so we asked to speak to the manager. She came out and said "right who wants to speak to me, whats the problem" my friend calmly explained the situation and she barked at her to "calm down" she then said she couldnt do anything and walked off while we were still speaking to her! A member of the group went to speak to her again and the manager called her "stupid" we told her that her attitude was unprofessional and she shrugged in our face and walked off again-will never return, average food and cocktails and shocking service! Judging by the other reviews we arent the only ones who have suffered poor service here, some people have had a good night but i guess it depends what staff is on when you go-the average main is 10 pounds plus and cocktails are 8 pounds which i appreciate is reasonable but its not the cheapest on the market so i wouldnt recommend taking the risk of falling prey to foul staff when there are so many other lovely eateries in the mailbox! Considering we spent over 120 pounds we expected much better service!

4 Thank NixSP
UK
“Average”
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Very average.

Midweek with a group of colleagues visiting the area, needing somewhere to eat.

Food - OKish, but nothing special. Steak tough.
Beer - Not well kept, a bit flat and a bit cloudy.
Place - Virtually empty.
Staff - Pleasant and helpful.

• Visited February 2014
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Birthday Celebrations”
Reviewed 14 March 2014

a party of 13 of use dined here for a milestone birthday. firstyly the cons: seating arrangemnts were some a bit higgeled, ie uneven tables meaning evertime i touched my plate it rocked because it couldnt balance between the two mish matched surfaces. We were there for 3 hours and only approached twice to order drinks, otherwise we had to queue at the bar. I got served at 19:01 to be told the friday presecco offer finished at 19:00. I showed the time on my phone and explained we queued well before 7 but suppose rules are rules! the addidtion £25 gratuity they added to the £100 bill in big bold writing with the smallest text saying optional next to it. pros: the food was realy good, despite only having a simplistic bar menu the food has a gormet feel and look to it. for a bog standard burger it tasted great. they also allowed us to eat the birthday cake we had brought with us.

• Visited February 2014