“Visiting Shanghai Shanghai once again..... twice in a week”

Shanghai Shanghai Dim Sum Chinese Restaurant & Bar
Ranked #562 of 2,291 Restaurants in Birmingham
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Shanghai Shanghai Chinese Restaurantis located in central China Town, Birmingham (1st Floor The Arcadian) an easy walking distance from the Bull Ring Market, the Local Theatre and Birmingham Train Station. We quickly became one of the most popular Chinese Restaurant in the Birmingham China Town.The Cuisine here is traditional Cantonese style, typical of what you would find in Hong Kong. We are frequented by many of the local families. We are widely regarded as the best Chinese restaurant for the Chinese in the West Midlands. Our Menu has over 250 dishes, as well as a wide range of drink and wine list. We are also very pround to bring out over a wide varity of authentic hot and spicy Sichuan cuisine, specifically designed to the Mainland Chinese Taste.
Reviewed 20 March 2014

Went to Shanghai again on a lunch time as you can have the full dim sum menu at lunchtime as well as the other menus.The four of us (myself,wife and two 14 yr boys) shared the following....Steamed prawn dumplings with chives £3.50...Steamed prawn dumplings £3.20....Steamed beef meat balls £2.80....Steamed glutinous rice with minced meats £3.50....House special fried king prawns £3.50...Deep fried prawn spring roll with sesame £3.00.
Once again all the dim sum were excellent

We (my wife and I ) returned the following Saturday night with friends and shared .....
Salt and pepper chilli chicken wings £5.00.....Steamed prawn dumplings with pork £4.00...Sizzling fillet steak with black bean sauce £12.50....Roast duck with honey and black pepper sauce £8.50....King prawn Szechuan £9.50....Shanghai Shanghai special grilled sea bass spicy flavour hot pot £18.80......Beef cooked with cumin £9.80....Egg fried rice £3.00.....Steamed plain rice £2.00

Every course was very tasty and cooked to perfection....(my favourites the Beef with cumin and the excellent Sea bass hot pot) and as usual all the staff were polite and helpful with advice to the menus.

Reviewed 1 March 2014

Last minute decision to go here. Very efficient service, very pleasant staff. Nice food, bit too much of it but they put it in take away boxes for us to finish off after our theatre visit. will definitely go again

Reviewed 25 February 2014

I took my girlfriend here for our valentines meal (2014) and found that the staff were all very grumpy and a bit rude! Apart from that service was quick and the food was excellent - I tried Dim Sum for the first time and I loved it!

I will definitely come here again as the food was excellent - it just wouldn't hurt if the staff smiled a bit more!

Reviewed 24 February 2014 via mobile

To the reviewer who politely criticized my review, I've been to plenty of chinese places that have served large range of dim sum in the daytime so I don't personally feel that my review was one of ignorance.

If businesses want to survive in this crowded market they need to provide the best possible service and largest range at all times to compete.

1  Thank baddy2shoos
Reviewed 22 February 2014 via mobile

Excellent good for a good value! Usually I come here for a late lunch and order mainly Dim Sum since I'm a big fan of this type of Chinese food.

Service is what one can expect from a Chinese restaurant but the food is really worth a visit.

Btw an important message to a previous poster who was giving a bad review based on the fact that they couldn't get the whole collection of Dim Sum at dinner time: Chinese don't serve Dim Sum at dinner time... If, then usually only few variations... Sometimes one should try to understand the culture difference and not just giving a bad review based on non-knowledge :)