“Unhelpful staff”
Review of Cannon Raceway

Cannon Raceway
Ranked #3 of 65 Fun & Games in Birmingham
More attraction details
Owner description: We have been providing awesome Karting experience for over 20 years. With one of the fastest and widest indoor circuits in the country you are certain to have an amazing time here! We use only the latest generation of Biz Race Tuned Pro Karts.
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Unhelpful staff”
Reviewed 1 June 2014

I've been to Cannon Raceway a number of times before, the overall the track has a good layout and the karts can be good if you're lucky to get an un-shagged one. The main issue with the karts is that they're all too unbalanced. Health and safety has been lackluster also. On one previous occasion with a work social event, a wheel actually came off on one my friends karts!

The staff have always been less than enthusiastic about their job, but today's visit (and last), takes the biscuit.
I live about an hour away, so travelling is an effort. I checked the night before about 11pm online around to see if there are any slots in the morning. No slots booked, excellent. So I turn up at 9am to be told that there is nothing available until mid-day. I was very confused as the track had about 4 people on it and no customers waiting around. I checked online again with my phone as I got back in my car and low and behold, the slots were still available!
I went back inside to ask why, and I was simply told because I have to pre-book as only pre-booked slots are available?!
This kind of idiocy loses customers. I was almost prepared to jump through the hoops of their ludicrous booking system but instead I left because they weren't interested in taking my money.

This particular employee obviously doesn't represent the company as a whole but as there was no one in charge at 9am on a Sunday morning. It was clear, this employee didn't want to help.

If you do decide to go, make sure you DO book online otherwise you can be left in the same situation as my friends and I.

Visited June 2014
6 Thank Danny S
CannonRaceway, Manager at Cannon Raceway, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
HI Danny,
I'm sorry to hear that we couldn't accommodate you. I checked the diary and he was in fact correct. We didn't have space. Just turning up on a Saturday really is a big gamble as we are usually fully booked. In future feel free to give one of our friendly booking team a call or even better book on line to save disappointment.

Stafford, United Kingdom
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Fast carts and good fun”
Reviewed 6 May 2014

We visited the racetrack yesterday there were 6 of us and had 2 x 20 laps each. There were 12 of us racing and whilst I was not the fastest of our group I was just about midway in the whole group. The Karts are pretty good and the engines are 270cc each so they're a bit quicker off the mark than some others (so I am told). It was well organised and a good bit of tuition (I had not done karting before but will definately try and do it again.

Visited May 2014
HI Chris,
I'm glad to hear that you lost your karting virginity with us! Its even better to hear that you will be returning soon. Thank you so much for your positive comments. We look forward to seeing you back behind the wheel real soon!
Walsall, United Kingdom
“Brilliant day”
Reviewed 19 April 2014

Had a brilliant time at cannon race way although I crashed and broke the helmet... First time on the tracks and will definitely do it again in pain now though but overall a brilliant time on the raceway

Visited April 2014
HI Charleighh,
I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed yourself. We cant wait to have you back again just try not to damage any more of our equipment ;)
Telford, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fun experience”
Reviewed 13 April 2014

I went for my stag do and we really enjoyed the competitive feel and had great fun doing it ! Feeling it the next day as they were hard to control but fantastic fun !! Would recommend to anyone very professional .

Visited April 2014
HI v1990j,
I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed yourself. I hope the rest of your stag do went off with a bang. Cant wait to have you back again. More sure you book the following day off work :)
Stafford, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Poor experience”
Reviewed 2 March 2014

I visited today and thought the experience was quite poor compared with other go karting I had done in the past. Staff were generally rude, the briefing was poor and during the actual race the caution lights were literally switched on every 2 minutes. I was unfairly disqualified by the race marshal after accidently overtaking on a yellow light and having slight contact with another driver. A complete waste of £30 in my opinion and will not be visiting again. If you are considering go karting then I would seriously recommend another venue. For the venue management:- If you can learn anything from this review then you need to improve your briefing video's, actually make more of the lighting system and point it out on the initial lap. Your staff need to speak more clearly and not be so aggressive.

Visited March 2014
4 Thank James T
CannonRaceway, Manager at Cannon Raceway, responded to this review, 5 March 2014
Hi James, Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Our Safety video is vetted and approved by our governing body and local H&S authorities. The video outlines the lights on 4 occasions. We then send a race director into the briefing room to go over the lights and flags twice more. The lights are there to ensure customer and staff safety and unfortunately if you continue to race whilst yellow lights are on (or accidentally overtake and make contact) we have no choice but to remove you from the circuit. As unpopular as this may be our customer/staff safety is always our top priority. This does upset some people however 99.9% leave having had a fantastic experience with no injuries/bumps because our system to control drivers racing in an unsafe manor is faultless. We hope to see you again soon and will gladly go over the lights in more detail with you before you drive if you are unsure about the meanings.