“pleasant enough , no wow factor” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 71 Coffee & Tea in Birmingham
Price range: US$5 - US$12
Cuisines: Cafe, British
Good for: Local cuisine, Groups, Business meetings, Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Boston Tea Party is a small family owned independent cafe group serving simple well-prepared food & drinks made with great ingredients, skill and love. Ethically sourced, affordable, feel-good & excellent quality - made from scratch onsite everyday by people who care about what they do. BTP Birmingham is right in the heart of all the busy happenings of Corporation Street.
Rugeley, United Kingdom
“pleasant enough , no wow factor”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

visited here saturday 26th july , was looking for somewhere for an early lunch and , after reading previous reviews about the place being busy in the week , we thought it ideal for our visit, arriving at 12.30 on saturday.
unfortunately for us it was already very busy and having walked round the place ( its not the biggest and 2 4 seater tables were occupied by 1 person who had finished but were sat there on their phones !) we just found the last free table before another couple.
this table had only been vacated a few seconds so obviously no-one had had time to clear/clean it , however this remained the case even after our food was delivered which was disappointing.
as for the food itself, we ordered an afternoon tea for 2 at £19 , which is comparable with other places, the sandwiches and scones/cakes were pleasant enough but didnt feel anything special and it was somewhat of a shame that this only came with a choice of 3 teas even though there are about 20 on their full menu ( probably the most traditional teas but the choice of others would be nice)
we followed this with a smoothie each which were delicious , including a wonderfully tasty blueberry/ginger number.
the staff were a mixed bag , the guy taking orders was friendly , attentive and going at 100mph, the lady serving the drinks looked like she wished she was anywhere but there and , as previously said, the lady who delivered the food failed to notice that the table was basically dirty with crumbs/spilt drinks from the previous occupier.
all in all , the title above sums it up. they are an independent company trying to do something slightly differently but at times it has the feel of being part of a big chain, and as i said, not all of the staff seem to have signed up to the dream.
will we try it again ? probably, but not in any great rush

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
TellBTP, General Manager at Boston Tea Party Birmingham, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Dear tonyjaynedaisy

Thank you for your comments via TripAdvisor. Its always good to get feedback on areas we need to improve on.

I am sorry to hear that your visit was not completely to your satisfaction though. I will address the points you have raised with the team to ensure that we are all very friendly and attentive to all our customers no matter how busy we are. As well as ensuring that all tables are cleared quicker. There is no excuse for this so can only offer my most sincere apology.

With regards the offering of teas with our delicious Afternoon Tea package, if there was a specific tea that you would of liked to have had then I only wish you’d of asked as we would of happily swapped it for you.

I am glad that you did enjoy the smoothies though and hope that you will definitely pop into to see us again soon so that we can show you that we do take a lot of pride in what we do.

Many thanks

Dale

• Arabic first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Lunch with the wife and kids”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

This was a really pleasant experience in terms of service, atmosphere and food. The only downside was that the building it is in, seems to be subject to the alarm going off which is a bit noisy and disruptive. Still a good experience and I would recommend it.

Reading, United Kingdom
“Huge potential”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014

Stopped by on Monday 14th July. Not too busy and just before lunch. Thought the staff were attentive and the cakes choice excellent. Overall not the cheapest place to eat, but with an eye on the hand made nature of the product it is actually good value. The tables were not comfortable having these really awkward legs meaning I kept bashing my knees. Next time I will try to sit elsewhere and try out their other tables etc. Toilets a little retro and my son thought they were smelly.

Dudley, United Kingdom
“Hidden gem in Birmingham”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

Excellent all round every time - love that there's this sort of place in Birmingham! Worth coming here for the amazing quality of organic food - can definitely taste the difference and thag everything is made from scratch. Love this place! Would recommend the eggy break and blueberry ginger smoothie especially!

York
“Could be great”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014

This place could be great - it has the kind of menu I love, the relaxed feel that I want to find and is well designed - definitely 'hip'.

However, the service needs attention, my order was mistaken and I was delivered something I had not ordered. On correction, some of the ingredients were scraped onto a new plate and added to, but it still came back wrong. There was no apology for this - either time the wrong food came to the table. In the end, I just ate the wrong food - I was in a hurry and didn't want it to go back to the kitchen again.

The food was ok, but the pricing/quality ratio is somewhat off - I would suggest that most things on the menu are about £1 more expensive than it should be (comparing with equivalent places in my home town).

Upsides - the huge traybake cakes look amazing, the coffee is great and I had a very good pain au chocolat. Anybody can have the occasional problem with service - it was early in the morning, and clearly their mind was elsewhere - so I would be prepared to try it again. If they could only deliver on the American-style menu with American-quality service this place has real potential.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
TellBTP, General Manager at Boston Tea Party Birmingham, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Dear dksmith_york

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you about the comments you have brought to my attention via TripAdvisor.

Its very disappointing to read that you were not 100% satisfied with your meal, we spend a lot of time training our staff and I would like to think that when mistakes do happen we respond in the correct manner to ensure the situation is resolved. This obviously was not the case and I will reiterate the importance of not only getting customer’s food orders correct the first time but to apologise profusely when something does go wrong.

I am pleased however to hear that you loved our coffee and that our selection of delicious homemade cakes tantalised your taste buds. Hopefully we will see you again soon, to show that it was a one off problem with service that morning and that I s not how we usually do things.
Many thanks