“Great Break”

Central Birmingham Lodge
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Birmingham
Central Birmingham Lodge
Ranked #45 of 54 Birmingham B&B and Inns
Dublin, Ireland
“Great Break”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2014

Three of us had a very happy time while staying here right in the heart of Birmingham. Staff on reception were very friendly and helpful during our three day visit. We had breakfast in Weatherspoons close by. Hotel has a very good location within walking distance of the railway station, Museum and art gallery and of course the multitude of shops. The rooms were spacious and very clean. The bed was very comfortable. I love a bath and decent lighting for reading We had both. Hotel is excellent value fore money.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends

Families
Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Sunderland, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2014

Booked a room this hotel back in october 2013 through lateroom.com for 8 march 2014.

And received a really bad written email about 6 days before check in saying boiler break down and reallocated to sister hotel, Portland House, which is 2.7 miles away from city centre.

Initial one is 0.6 miles away, called lateroom.com to help and they did try their best so credit to lateroom.com.

When I call the hotel manager said both hotel is 1.5 miles away from city centre.
Check their website and they advertised the initial booking is 0.6 miles away.

Hotel refused to even pay for consequantial loss(transfer to hotel or so) especially the sister hotel is about 1 hour away by walking and probably 5 to 10 minutes by cab.

We requested another hotel nearby to be booked and they should pay difference, but was refused quoting they can't offer it.We would clarify here, we dont demand any higher rated hotel and emphasised a nearby hotel with about same condition as the initial booking will do.

leaving student like us in tight budger, either to pay for the cab to and from the reallocated hotel + inconvenience or to book another hotel near city centre which is now expensive due to the fact , its near to check in time.

Called hotel staff ourselves and both the staff and manager hanged up the call in the midst of conversations which is totally intolerable.

although its cheap, travelodge or ibis does offer slightly higher priced hotel, probabaly 6 to 8 pounds difference per person (back in the time October when we booked this hotel) and now each of us needs to pay £25 difference due to this fault.

We do appreciate boiler break down could be out of their control, providing its well maintained all the time, but as a hotel, there is also a business ethnics and responsibilities outside the law to at least make attempt to fulfill.

note: I was told the law said they have done what legally required to offer an alternative, despite the distance, and all other costs associated with this reallocation is due to the hotel discretion.

Advice is to avoid booking this hotel if possible, if travel in group, get a travelodge or ibis, few pounds more difference, more assurance, no last minute deal like this and all your advanced planning ( more than 4 months ahead)would then worth it.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank mktiang

Travellers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

Bristol, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2013

Firstly I would like to point out that this room was purchased as a 25th Birthday present for my cousin so I wanted it to be, as advertised, a 3* property.
At the time of booking the room through Laterooms.com, the hotel was described, on the website, with a restaurant (no opening date indicated), a bar, in-house broadband and an on-site car park.
We arrived in the area according to my satnav at around 7.20pm but unfortunately the satnav was unable to navigate us directly to the hotel. So we pulled over and rang the number on our booking confirmation to ask for directions. A lady answered the phone and could not establish my whereabouts, so I named all of the landmarks I could see (turned out that we were in the next road from the hotel). She was absolutely no use whatsoever and was not making sense so we decided to ask a pedestrian who simply advised us the hotel was on the next road along.

We pulled up outside the hotel and there was no sign of a car park so we called the hotel again and the same lady answered. She said that she’d come outside and show us as the car park was right next to the hotel. She then said she was outside and couldn’t see us to which I answered we were right outside the front door. She then said that they had 2 hotels and I had called the wrong one, she was in fact in Edgbaston. As it was double yellow lines outside our actual hotel I stayed in the car and my cousin went inside to talk to the receptionist standing in the doorway. She was informed that the number we called (which was on our booking form) was for their other hotel and the number on their front door was also for their other hotel and they had no onsite parking, no restaurant and no bar and that laterooms.com had made a mistake. Pretty big mistake I’m thinking.

By this point we were losing the will to live. We had had a very long drive from Bristol and it was all very stressful and getting late.
We got back into the car and called some neighbouring hotels which were all fully booked so we had no choice but to stay.

The hotel receptionist directed us up the road to the nearest car park so off we set. It was a good walk away which we did not want to do with our heavy bags so we decided to drop the bags at the hotel and then go and park.
By this time it was 8.20pm. We took our bags into the hotel and told the guy what we were planning, to which he replied our room is not ready! Could things really get any worse? I was totally gobsmacked, how could our room not be ready this late in the day? I indicated on my laterooms.com booking that we would arrive around 7pm. The guy explained to us that another customer has taken our room as they messed up her booking and had to give her our triple room and we had to have her double room. He then said the cleaner had not turned up so the other receptionist was cleaning our room! We booked a triple room and paid the extra for a reason, we did not want a double bed so the guy agreed to put a single bed in our room.
I followed the guy upstairs to our room to drop off the bags to find the original receptionist in our room with no shoes on and his shirt totally unbuttoned exposing himself. I was horrified as it looked like it was his room and had no choice but to give it to us as they had messed up the bookings.
We left to go and park the car and get something to eat.

We returned to get ready to go out. We had a very small room, with a child’s size mattress on the floor, no hair dryer, no hangers, 1 tiny mirror, no kettle, only a hand towel each and a COLD shower. Totally unacceptable.
We arrived home to banging music from the night club opposite until 5.30am. We were then abruptly awoken 3 times during the morning before 9am by an extremely loud fire alarm.

We were offered nothing in compensation from the hotel or laterooms.com after sending a series of complaints. The response we got was that we were lying and none of what we were saying was true. Clearly the advertising breaches trading standards, their service was unacceptable and for the sheer inconvenience and distress we were caused.

DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!!!!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Hocapontas
Birmingham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2013

Im pretty sure this hotel is now called Birmingham Central Hotel, as the address is the same. DO NOT stay in this hotel, me and my boyfriend had a terrible experience. To begin with it is situated in an area which I can only refer to as the slums of Birmingham, although it is only 5 minutes away from central town. On arrival we were taken to a dingy reception which was basically a small room, with a man who I'm sure does every job in this 'hotel'. When we got to our room it was boiling hot,stuffy and small, to which he replied we should "open the windows". The biggest problem was the mattress which was broken, and all you could feel was the springs. When we asked to the move rooms he told us they were fully booked, we asked him to change the mattress which he did. We then realised we had been given no towels, except a hand towel which was thrown over the radiator. He then bought us a towel which had BLOOD AND BROWN stains on it. The bathroom was dirty, with a toilet brush still in the packaging, hence it had never been used. There was an open small tube of shampoo in the shower, which had hairs on the floor. The handles of the cupboard and drawers were broken. A lot of noise at night. The positives? Hot water and a nice but small TV. I would never go back to this hotel and would never recommend anyone going unless they are used to living in poverty.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank KDee232323
Bristol, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2013

I stayed here with my fiancé whilst attending a showcase at the Nec, we were at first pleased with the price we paid thing we had a bit of a bargain .... You really do get what you pay for! On arrival our room had blood and faeces on the door/toilet/bin, I asked to change room , the next room had a large brown stain showing through the bedding on closer inspection it was again faeces. I asked for another room to be given a card to see if it was ok.... Needless to say 3 rooms later and many trips up and down the stairs as the lift was broken I demanded to be moved to another hotel. One room had a large stain of dried vomit which stunk the room out. On our departure from this hell hole a member of check in staff asked me had we sat on the beds because he needed to put them back out as available! VALUE YOUR HEALTH DO NOT STAY HERE!

Travel lodge refunded me one nights stay as I was relocated despite being moved miles from our planned travel route and refused to refund the second nights stay!

Room Tip: Book another hotel!
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Gothenburg, Sweden
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2013

The hotel is centrally placed in China town and slightly cheaper than other places so it can look interesting on internet, but it is a dump. That could well be if your after just a nights sleep and nothing more, but this is where the problem starts. We got the room furthest from the street and still it was absolutely impossible to sleep due to the Drum & Base Club situated across the hotel, so from 22.00 to 05.00 the following morning there was this incredibly load base beat. We tried to use ear plugs but it didn't help since the the complete bed jumped up and down.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2013

A complete dump! I booked this on a deal, as £25 for the night was very good considering I had another booking there for £60 2 weeks later. Upon arrival I was charged 26.50 as there was 'a credit card charge' & although irritating as I'd have paid cash, it was already processed so I let it go. I was then shown to a small double room despite having booked an executive triple, when I queried this the check in receptionist simply said ‘we don’t do those’ – I reiterated that this was what was booked & advertised on Booking.com but to no avail. I though well it’s just one night & it’s cheap so again I let it go. The room was awful on closer inspection, in the bathroom there was no toilet paper, just a single towel, the complimentary toiletries consisted of 15ml shower gel and a tiny soap bar – as for cleanliness, it has 3 smears of excrement on the walls & the fan does not work. Moving onto the bedroom, the bed is the cheapest mattress ever & very stained & uncomfortable. The 2 pillows are about 5cm thick & the worn bedding stained with black mould. The furniture was like something you would have bought at mfi 20 years ago, there was a kettle, mugs, coffee & sugar, but no spoons. There was also a television, but with no remote it was no use. You also have to hand your key back into the receptionist every time you go out as they get quite forceful if you don’t. I subsequently cancelled my second booking and would strongly not recommend staying there unless you are comfortable with insanitary conditions & a bad night’s sleep

• Stayed January 2013