“Disappointed”

Birmingham, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Disappointed”
Reviewed 29 January 2014

I've been to this pub a few times and always found it to be pleasant. However we popped in last night for a bite to eat before a concert at the Syphony Hall only to be told they were not serving food. No reason was given just that "she's taken the menus off the tables so the food must have finished", it was only 6.30pm! We decided to stay anyway for a couple of drinks (and a bag of crisps). Before leaving I had to use the ladies toilets and they were extremely smelly (this fact alone would possibly put me off going back). I appreciate this is a traditional pub and very basic but considering the location being close to the ICC and the NIA I think they need to up their game a bit. Good selection of ales is the only postive thing I can say. It's a shame really as it could be so nice.

Visited January 2014

Oxon, UK
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Pity about the food”
Reviewed 13 October 2013

Visited last Saturday lunchtime before going to theatre. Very quiet, good selection of real ales and pleasant barmaid. All drinks fine but, oh dear, the bar food! My wife ordered a sausage in a bap which had some kind of split cold sausage which was impossible to eat as it was so tough and a bap that was breaking down into dry white bits. We asked for a replacement and this too was only marginally better. Our friends food was similar.
I'm sure in the evening with live music this pub is buzzing - shame about the bar food!

Visited October 2013
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“The world has moved on...”
Reviewed 25 May 2013

Visited this pub on Saturday early evening. It was not particularly busy. Plus points are that it is fairly unique and the beer is reasonably good. Big minus point - when we arrived I asked the barman if food was still being served. He indicated that they were. When I returned to the bar to order food the same barman did his utmost to serve everybody else and totally ignore me. After 10 minutes of this charade my wife and I left. On our way out the barman pretended to be using his mobile rather than meet my eye.
We live in an age where countless pubs go out of business every week. Whilst individuality and character of our pubs is essential the attitude towards customers has to keep pace with current service expectations. The attitude of the barman at this pub belongs in the 1970's. I truly hope that this pub stays in business. With this attitude however I fear that its days may be numbered. Shame.

Visited May 2013
2 Thank Tim F
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“One of the best in brum”
Reviewed 9 February 2013 via mobile

Great pub, good ales, good outdoor area, cocktail room, just get yourself down there and enjoy. Plenty of bars around near the pub aswell for good night out.

1 Thank 21stcenturyrambler