“Lovely new hotel,staff training needed” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Express Birmingham - Snow Hill

Holiday Inn Express Birmingham - Snow Hill
Ranked #44 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Lovely new hotel,staff training needed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2013

Hi,myself husband and 15 yr old daughter stayed here 3 nights in Aug to visit our other daughter who's moved down here,we arrived at 1.30 and told room wouldn't be ready till 2pm which isn't too bad so we went the bar area and bought drinks.there was quite a few people waiting also.At around 2.15 I went back reception and enquired about room again and was told as they had to make up a sofa bed in our room it would take a little longer.We bought another round and went back to waiting,after a 2 hr journey all I wanted was a shower and to relax! At 3pm I was about to explode and went reception again where I was told our room had been ready for ages??? I kept my carm excepted key cards off receptionist and we went to lifts,we surmised as the card said 0619 it was on 6th floor as no one said! We repeatedly pressed 6 button to no avail and tried other lift next to it with same result!About 6 mins this went on till another guest arrived and said you have ti insert card into lift to make it work? Good idea for security yes but but shouldn't of someone at reception mentioned this!! Any way,waffling here ,we found room and inserted key numerous times to no avail,ahhhh!!! patience going by all at this point,we found cleaner who also couldn't unlock door or her supervisor.Maintance arrived quite swiftly though and told us he had to take handle off and replace it which he did as we just sat on bed,releaved to be in the room at all!! Maintance man Keith was a star and soon had us laughing again( full points to him) He was very helpful too( more that could be said about reception) Later that night after a visit out we arrived back to our room,as my daughter entered the room first ,she went flying into the extra bed set up which obstructed the door and got a nasty bruise which is still with her now(4 DAYS LATER) :(
If that wasn't enough we put the tv on to watch a show we were waiting for and 10 mins into it the tv started crackling and finally went off all together( had to text a friend to ask what happened)! I phoned reception and told it would be reported,we left 2 days later and tv was exactly the same.The free breakfast was fab,all you wish for except staff let the whole thing down as even though we had no trouble ,one girl POLICING the breakfast area was rude and even argued loudly at guests and closed the shutters on people still in the area getting food and asked them to leave even though it wasn't quite closing time stated on a sign!I tried to catch name badge as it shocked a couple people round us too but we couldn't.
We stay in hotels alot and realise teething problems with new buildings but staff?
When packing my husband found a hoola hoop pkt by the bed that we didn't eat!! yuk

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Andrea W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Birmingham - Snow Hill, responded to this review, 23 August 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, please accept my sincerest apologies for the problems you encountered during you stay.

Please rest assured we have resolved the maintenance issues you encountered and I have taken action to deal with the service you experienced. I would be pleased to have the opportunity to discuss this with you further.
Andrea Whigham

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
Wetherby, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2013

A group of 12 of us visited this hotel which had only been open only a couple of months On receiving our room cards to I found someone was already clearly staying in the room I had been given. Back at reception I found a small selection of our group all with similar problems. The manager on duty clearly getting frustrated with his system rather than apologising.
Once this was rectified the rooms were clean, modern and had a decent shower. Breakfast was fairly average but we hadn't paid much to stay so reasonable enough.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Andrea W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Birmingham - Snow Hill, responded to this review, 22 August 2013
Thank you for your feedback on the hotel, we have had a few teething problems which we are working to resolve , thank you for bringing these issues to my attention
I am sure that should you choose to stay with us again you will find the experience both smoother and more professional

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2013

This was my first experience at a Holiday Inn Express and one I won’t be rushing to repeat. We booked a double room for a two-night weekend stay. As a newly built hotel the design and décor lived up to expectations. Initially we were very happy with the room, but then we lay on the bed. It sunk down so far that we were practically in the room below us. The mattress was too soft and concaved in the middle. As it was late at night and we had unpacked already we did not ask to move rooms. We had a terrible nights sleep. The next morning we spoke with Dylan who was incredible helpful, understanding and offered to change the mattress for us. I felt sympathetic overhearing housekeeping arguing with him and telling him to change the mattress. The mattress was changed and whilst not as bad as the previous one this was also very soft. Do not stay here is if you do not like soft. Unfortunately the doors don’t provide much insulation against sound. If someone is in speaking in the hall it will sound like they are in your room.

The breakfast experience is an awful ordeal. The design of the service area is completely flawed. There are two service entry points on either side of a centre square table. People enter from both ends and once you are in it very difficult to get out. As there is no orderly queue people push in from every direction. The tables are so close together that when people have their chairs out it is like navigating an obstacle course to get to a seat.

When I asked about a late check-out I was told “check-out is at 11am”. I asked if it was possible to extend that a little, I again got told “check-out is at 11am”. I found the receptionist, and by extension the hotel, very rude and inflexible in this regard. I understand you can’t offer this to everyone, but you also cannot clean all the rooms at the same time. In my honest opinion offering a few rooms an extra 30 minutes is a much softer approach than a firm non-negotiable no. It was a disappointing tone to end our stay on.

We won’t be staying here again and my recommendation is that you don’t either. As a frequent weekend visitor to the city you can find nicer hotels for a similar price who offer a much better experience.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to write to us regarding your experience at the Holiday Inn Express- Birmingham Snow Hill.
I am sorry that you found the mattress uncomfortable and that it was a challenge having it changed, we have had in general fairly good feedback on the quality of our beds and bedding but I shall certainly investigate this further.
We did have a particularly busy and difficult weekend during your stay because of a couple of events in the city and I am aware that we did not provide our normal standard of service. We do provide late checkout where possible, and almost always to Priority Club members, unfortunately this is most difficult on a Saturday morning as we have lots of guests arriving very early with a guaranteed check in time.
Please accept my apologies for the issues you encountered, if you wish to discuss this matter further please do not hesitate to contact me. I am sure that should you choose to stay with us again you will have a much more enjoyable experience.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2013

Stayed here in July 2013, a much needed break away. Hotel is 15 minute walk from Birmingham New Street Station, 5 minutes walk from Birmingham Snow Hill Station. Hotel had only just opened but was very surprise in how suspicous rooms were, how good the security is, as the lifts only allow those staying to access the rooms. Free internet throughout the hotel is a bonus as some hotel chains still to this day charge alot for not very long. Staff on reception desk very helpful as i hadnt been to Birmingham in 20 years. If you dont mind looking at the road works (Birmingham going through metro extension program in some areas) out of the window then on a good day you can see for miles.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
LANCASHIRE
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2013 via mobile

Stayed for the night at this hotel in August 2013. The staff were amazing and the hotel was immaculate. Only downfall was the cost of the parking, however booking this hotel gave you 50 percent discount. Overall a very good experience n would definitely go again

• Stayed August 2013
Harlington, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2013

The room was amazing (stayed in room 1210); clean, spacious and had a really nice shower. There even was an option to choose between soft and firm pillows. It was really good value for money. The only slight improvement could be a fridge even if tiny and a toilet brush!

It was also quite which you would not expect being next to major roads and a lot of building work.

Breakfast was included and was very nice; both hot and cold options. The only thing is that as it is school holiday, I aimed to arrive early as after 8 the families took over the breakfast room and there was a queue for toaster, tea and hot breakfast. But as long as you arrived before 8 it was quite smooth and quiet.

Staff were always polite and smiled and greated me every day. Although when checking out I had a bit of a hick-up as they wanted me to pay again even though my trip was pre-paid by my company. However it was resolved quickly and politely once I produced proof of payment which fortunately I had.

But overall, it was a better than expected 4 day stay.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2013

We booked this hotel through a Groupon offer which included a day trip to Cadbury World. I was pleasantly surprised. The rooms looked as though they'd never been used. Everything was so clean and looked brand new. Nice sized rooms and plenty of lighting. Comfy beds.

The only thing I was not impressed with we're the guests that came back at about 3am who were quite noisy.

The restaurant area was a little on the cramped side, so when busy you couldn't really move around freely.

On the whole, a nice hotel. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Stayed on the 13th floor, rooms 1304 & 1309.