“Missed, not by much but ...”

Holiday Inn Express Birmingham - Snow Hill
Ranked #45 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Missed, not by much but ...”
Reviewed 10 July 2014

I've stayed in a few HIE places and they've generally been okay. This one is slightly lower on the 'liked it' scale purely on details.

Location is fine for City Centre Access, well it will be when all the tram works disappear, but that's not the hotels fault. It's a nice bit of the city and getting nicer. There's food and pubs and shops nearby, all V convenient.

Internally the place is pretty standard fare; staff are competent, it's clean with the usual amenities. WiFi is free and pervasive (and better than most others for speed and reliability, you can stream telly!!!)

The bar/restaurant area is spacious, clean and fit for purpose and there's a (really expensive) car park right next door. You do get a 50% discount but given the place is so dear in the first place it's a bit of a con, imho; 24 quid a day? Pfah.

Where the place falls down though;

The bed is like an air filled bouncy thing, way too soft and, well, bouncy. Given the quality of Premiere Inn and even Travelodge beds, these are awful.

Air con! There are no ventilation sources at all in the rooms so AC is your only hope. Mine was noisy and directly over the bed, so I was either too hoe with it off or blown and kept awake with it on.

Breakfast though, I mean, no bacon? Why? Just why? They do sausages but not bacon!

I'd stay here again if there wasn't anywhere else to go but it's far down my list of places to stay in Brum. The Premiere Inn at New St is wayyyyy better.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else if you can, but avoid the Britannia at all costs. If you do end up here use ear...
1 Thank tjz1100
Lucy T, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Birmingham - Snow Hill, responded to this review, 13 July 2014
Thank you for your review. I am sorry your stay was flawed by our breakfast, maintenance issue and the comfort-ness of mattress.
In regards to breakfast the Holiday Inn Express brand provides a complimentary self-service continental breakfast with three hot items only. About the comfort-ness of mattress I have reported this to be looked into. The NCP car park we currently offer a 50% discount on their standard tariff and are working with NCP to provide better value for money. Your feedback and comment is always important to us.

Should you choose to stay with us again you will find our service much improved

Kind regards
GSM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
  • Arabic first
Wimborne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 July 2014

We arrived at the hotel on Sunday 6th July at 2.15pm. The hotel knew our coach party would be arriving and we were supposed to have allocated rooms ready but they were not ready and were not allocated. They were under staffed as the reception staff were also acting as bar staff. It was a shambles at reception. But the rooms were clean and very comfortable. We were on the 8th floor and had a peaceful nights sleep. The breakfast was very poor and it seemed that they were using very cheap products. It was okay for an overnight stay.

Room Tip: We would always recommend staying away from the lifts as it can get a bit noisy
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Lee G, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Birmingham - Snow Hill, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Dear Guest,

I was disappointed to read that the front desk was not ready for your arrival. I can assure you that I will look into this. however i was pleased to read that you enjoyed a good nights sleep with us.

If you would like to discuss this matter further then please don't hesitate to contact me direct on the below details.

E: lee.goodman@hiebirminghma.com
T:0121-647-3999

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 July 2014

A one night stay ahead of meetings in Birmingham. Much much nicer than a Travelodge - the room was big, bed was comfy, a good shower room and air con (essential as I was on 14th floor and the windows didn't open). The staff were pleasant and the breakfast selection was fine. Much better than I expected for the price.

1 Thank emma_m_01
Dear Guest,

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and we are looking forward to welcoming you back to our hotel again in the near future.

Lincoln, UK
Reviewed 7 July 2014

I stayed on the 19th floor, which was really peaceful. The bed wasn't huge, but it was comfortable. These two things together made for two great nights sleep!

I like the free breakfast concept and have stayed in a Holiday Inn Express before so knew what to expect (i.e. not a full hot range), so quite happily helped myself and enjoyed it.

Overall, a comfortable stay with polite staff in a fairly central location (great for my conference at Aston University).

1 Thank DanD_Lincoln_UK
Lee G, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Birmingham - Snow Hill, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Dear DanD_Lincoln_UK

Thank you for your 5 star review!

I was pleased to read that you had a peaceful and comfortable stay with us.
It is always nice to revive such positive feed back from our valued customers.
I look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Norfolk, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Customer service very helpful, especially Kelly and especially when another rude customer interrupted her welcoming us as if we were not there. Dealt with it professionally. My hotel room was clean and the bed comfortable. No bath but instead a decent shower, the bathroom was spotless.

The only thing I found a let down was the food, if you're not a fan of wedges there is little else available during the evening. During our training course the lunch was provided by the hotel and again it included wedges. The breakfast was a bit disappointing as I have had better elsewhere and expected the hot choices to be a bit more varied, but I guess we got what we paid for.

1 Thank Katarinnna
Lee G, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Birmingham - Snow Hill, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Dear Katarinnna

Thank you for you review.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. We are continuously looking for ways in which we can improve and we will take for feed back about our menu into consideration.

We look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Guest Services Manager - Front Office
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

The location is good for visit central Birmingham. The rooms are well equipped and have a nice bathroom. The breakfast buffet however must be improved - its less then average. There are nice Pubs closed by.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Barron66
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write to us regarding your experience at the Holiday Inn Express- Birmingham Snow Hill.
We give an utmost importance to our guest comments as they help us improve and continually provide the best experience possible.

Thank you once again and we do hope to welcome you in the near future.
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

Staff were lovely and check in was very quick and easy. The room was a good size, very clean and extremely quiet. I especially like the blue light in the bathroom. Much less intrusive than just leaving the bathroom light on overnight.

Breakfast was fine, good choice and all topped up. I would just suggest not cooking the scrambled egg for so long, it tends to go a bit mushy if it's cooked and stored on the display for too long.

Overall, great stay and I would recommend to anyone looking to stay in the city for a good price.

Stayed June 2014
2 Thank Sarah J
Lucy T, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Birmingham - Snow Hill, responded to this review, 5 July 2014
Dear Guest ,

It is always rewarding to hear a five star review and we will take your feedback to continue to improve out services.

I do hope to welcome you in the near future .

Holiday Inn Express Birmingham - Snowhill