“Great stay in Birmingham” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Express Birmingham - Snow Hill

Holiday Inn Express Birmingham - Snow Hill
Ranked #44 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Holywell, United Kingdom
“Great stay in Birmingham”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

Excellent, well priced, reliable hotel.. The room was quiet and the breakfast buffet was particularly good. Very spacious room and very big shower. There are a number of good restaurants within a five minute walk. Complimentary newspapers provided and free wi-fi throughout. Very pleased overall

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Gillian D, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Birmingham - Snow Hill, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Dear MarcCass,

Thank you for the brilliant review about your recent visit to the Holiday Inn Express Snow Hill. The team are delighted to see such positive feedback and we hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Deputy General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
Winchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

A good, well priced, reliable hotel. It was close to all amenities and in one of the nicest suburbs of Birmingham. The room was quiet and the breakfast was particularly good. We didn't use the restaurant for an evening meal but there are a number of good restaurants within a five minute walk.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank MBM31
Dear MBM31,

Thank you for the fantastic review! We are thrilled to see you enjoyed your stay with us and I do hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Newtownards, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed here with the family for a brief overnight stay on the way to London. Our rooms were on the 10th floor and we had a great view over Birmingham. The bed was quite comfortable and the air conditioning was welcome on a stuffy night. The bathrooms were nice and modern and the shower was huge. The breakfast was just ok it was included in the room rate, it had the usual cereals, croissants etc with limited cooked items such as sausage, beans and scrambled eggs. It was a handy walk to the Bullring and main shopping area. On the negative side the car parking was very pricey although a 50% discount applied to guests. All in all a handy overnight stopover.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Lee G, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Birmingham - Snow Hill, responded to this review, 17 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.
I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I hope to welcome you back to our hotel again in the near future.

Lee Goodman
Guest Services / Front Office Manager
Rct
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

Booked a two night stay. Children's camp bed not made up had ask the reception to do this. We decided to have food in hotel, there is not a children's menu available. On return to room, they had used our pillows for the children. When we phoned for more there was none left in the hotel! We had to ask for more towels.

Room Tip: Don't bother!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Lee G, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Birmingham - Snow Hill, responded to this review, 16 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review the holiday inn express hotel. We are sorry for the inconvenient you had during your stay. We provide four pillows per room and extras are available depending on the availability. Also we have taken your feedback of adding kids menu.
As a valued guest your feedback is always valuable to us and I do hope to welcome you in the near future.

Lucy Thapa
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

Is stayed here a couple of weeks ago and found the hotel to be virtually faultless.

I will concede that it can be a tad difficult to find the car park however. The trick is to follow the one-way system (Queensway - A4400) past the Dental and Children's Hospitals, and then to take the first left into Whittall Street. There will be a clinic on the left hand side, and the NCP Royal Angus car park will be on the right hand side diagonally opposite. Alternatively, if you stay on Queensway (A4400) and drive past the Thistle hotel (immediately before the Holiday Inn), there is an alternative entrance to the same car park on the left hand side. Prices are reduced 50% if you validate the card at reception (i.e. £12 for 24 hours instead of £24)

Having parked the car, check in was seamless and friendly. I had requested a room on a high floor and was allocated a room on the 17th floor accordingly, which enjoyed some fantastic views across Birmingham. The room was of a very good standard - I would say I've stayed in 4 star establishments which weren't as nice. The rooms were spacious, light and had incredibly comfortable memory-foam beds. The blackout blinds were equally excellent.

Being this high up, for obvious reasons the windows don't open. However, I found the air conditioning to be more than adequate and it kept the room at a comfortable temperature with no problems, despite it being one of the warmer days of the year.

Despite the slightly tricky parking, I can't really fault this hotel, not when you consider the price and the excellent location (just 10 minute walk from the Bullring). I intend to stay here many more times in the not too distant future.

Room Tip: Rooms on the higher floors enjoy excellent views across the city - well worth requesting!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Gillian D, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Birmingham - Snow Hill, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Dear Wycombe-simon,

Thank you for your fantastic review. We are thrilled to see you enjoyed every aspect of your stay and I have shared this feedback with the team.

I do hope to welcome you back in the near future for another faultless stay!

Peterborough
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

We arrived at this hotel for a one night stay over the weekend just gone (9th - 10th August 14) (had gone to see a show at the LG Arena...)

We checked in at around 5.00pm, & I was asked how I wanted to pay for my stay. I informed them that I wanted to pay in cash, at which point I was told I would have to pay £25 deposit if that was how I wanted to pay.... I would have been fine with that... IF I had BEEN TOLD that when I booked the hotel! I informed the receptionist that I hadn't been told this would be the case, that I'd never had this problem with any other hotel I'd stayed in in the past, & that I wasn't happy, to which I was told that if I didn't pay the (refundable in the morning but not the point) deposit, they wouldn't be able to check me in.... Staff in reception were quite rude/abrupt... I was told to "check my email" as I'd probably had an email through complete with the small print T&C's...

Surprise surprise, not an email in sight, (& yes checked the junk box too) all I'd received was a text message with booking number & confirmation of booking, had not been told this would be the case on the reservations hotline either...

The room was of an average size (expected) we walked in to see a sofa style bed, & the main bed... Overall, didn't get a decent nights sleep, the room was too hot, & there wasn't a window I could open during the night, the pillows were rock hard, & the bed was pretty much the same, very lumpy & uncomfortable, resulting in an extremely poor nights sleep.

Was looking forward to a cooked breakfast in the morning, after such a bad nights' sleep, so was extremely disappointed with the limited selection..... Beans were too runny, the sausages looked plastic bags filled with air, & the scrambled eggs? They were so watery we didn't even entertain the idea of trying them.... Twice I tried to get pure orange juice, & twice all I got was worse than watered down orange juice... Badly organised chaos... Not enough seating for the amount of guests staying in the hotel, & it seems I wasn't the only one that thought so, as I spoke to a couple of other guests who pretty much mirrored my views....

All in all, I'd say I had a terrible nights stay here, that the manager needs to employ staff that can actually do the job in question, without being rude to the customers, or failing that, send them on some intense training courses in "customer service" you may just see an improvement in customer satisfaction & even reviews... Was not impressed in the slightest, & needless to say, definitely will NOT be booking with this chain of hotels again.....

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank cazzie_15
Dear Guest,

We have taken your feed back into consideration in regards to deposits when cash payment is received, which is our company policy. However we are looking into adding this to our booking conformation.
I was surprised to hear that you found our rooms hot and stuffy as all of our bedrooms are fitted with Air Conditioning, Due to the high to our building health and safety regulations state that unfortunately we are un able to have opening windows.
In regards to breakfast we provide continental breakfast with three hot items which are egg, beans and sausages. However we appreciate your feedback as we are always looking for ways we can improve.

Lucy Thapa
Nottingham, UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

We stayed here as part of a Living Social package to visit Cadbury World. We were due to stay for 2 nights but 1 was enough and, even though we had paid for two 2 nights as part of the deal, we opted to go home instead.

We struggled to find the hotel - Sat Nav sends you down a left hand turn which is just before the hotel, so if you find yourself outside a hospital you've missed the turn for the Royal Angus Car Park, where the drop off point for the hotel is. The Royal Angus is discounted by Holiday Inn but still cost is just over £12 for 12 hours...

When we got into our room it was uncomfortably stuffy and hot (as the air con isn't on whilst the key isn't in - quite standard, I know). The air con control is so close to the room door that it's very difficult to operate. I actually ended up opening the door as it was the only way I could use it. It took ages for it to come on and we ended up having to have it on all night as the room didn't cool down.

There were soft and firm pillow choices available which equated to think air or a brick and there were no extras available in the room. I am allergic to bed mites and house dust and my allergy was triggered by something when I tried to sleep, so although the room seemed quite clean to the naked eye, I suspect it hadn't had a good clean for a while.

We had two 6-year old boys with us. They were sharing a double sofa bed, which is usually fine. However they only had a single quilt for the both of them and were fighting over duvet control all night which impacted on all of us. My son then cut his leg on the sofa bed mechanism in the morning. We had to get a plaster from reception - when she asked what it was for and I showed her the cut and said it had been done on the sofa bed, she seemed uninterested; I wondered whether it should have gone in the accident book?

I was already considering not staying a second night before we went for breakfast but seeing the poor quality of the breakfast was enough to confirm the decision. The pastries looked sad and re-heated. The sausages looked like plastic. The beans were runny. The toast had to be out through the machine 3 times to get any colour at all on it. Big queue for hot drinks (in front of the kitchen door). Poor selection of fruit (not even a banana on offer).

So we opted to check out a day early and won't be returning to a Holiday Inn Express any time soon!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank shegoon
Lee G, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Birmingham - Snow Hill, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Dear shegoon,

I was disappointed to read that you didn't enjoy your stay with us.

Unfortunately we do not own the car park so we are unable to control the pricing. We have arranged for all of our air-conditioning units to be checked to ensure they are all reaching the correct temperatures.

I am aware that we have experienced some delays during breakfast on our busier days, we have now started to change our breakfast times on days when we have large groups in house to prevent this from happening.

I would appreciate it if you would contact me on the below contact details as I would like to gain some more information from you so that I am able to investigate this matters further as this is not our usual standard of service.

Lee Goodman