“Would be happy to go again”
Review of Mela

Mela
Ranked #235 of 2,207 Restaurants in Birmingham
Cuisines: Indian, Asian, Balti, Bangladeshi
Good for: Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Business meetings, Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
West Dorset
“Would be happy to go again”
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Clean and smart with pleasant staff.
Food good and very well presented but the lamb biryani could have done with a bit more lamb.

• Visited May 2014

Knowle, United Kingdom
“Clean, quiet, discreet Harborne service”
Reviewed 16 May 2014

You walk past it in Harborne High Street... just a doorway and a small sign. But once the stairs are negotiated, the light, airy and not-too-big restaurant greets you with well appointed furniture and equally well appointed staff. Greeted and attended to immediately, the atmosphere was perfect for a meeting with a very old school friend and our respective wives. Garlic naan was cooked to perfection as was the Tawa dish I ordered. My comments to the owner / maitre d'i were comprehensively discussed. The Tawa [sometimes Thawa] I'm used to comes in a blue haze. The conflagration at Mela was more modest, as was the portion. But it was beautifully cooked and was just the right amount for what is a very rich dish. My friends enjoyed a standard biriani and we were given excellent brandies and Bailleys as the ubiquitous complimentary to conclude. Very polite, attentive service even if a little slow. But looks like everything was fresh. Can't have it both ways!

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Arthur T
Worcester, Uk
“The tiny doorway that hides a hidden treasure”
Reviewed 16 April 2014

We were heading home via Harborne and looked on Google for an Indian Restaurant.

Google said 'Best Indian in Harborne' - so high expectations.

We parked around the corner in a side street and followed Google Maps along the High Street. When it said we had arrived we were stood outside a doorway that lead to a flight of stairs - on well we had come this far.

We walked up the narrow stairway and were surprised to find a modern clean looking restaurant and we were greeted by a friendly waiter who showed us immediately to our table.

We ordered two curries. A house speciality with mixed meat and fish for hubby and a king prawn Malayan for me. We shared a portion of veg rice and a plain naan.

I am not a big curry fan and hubby jumps at the opportunity whenever he can if I say I fancy a curry - but I will certainly fancying a curry more often - this one was the best curry that I have ever had and the naan bread was yummy too.

I hate it when curry houses say mild and I get something too hot or something like a stew with no flavour - this chef understands flavour - super.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank GIllyowl
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Really good! ”
Reviewed 1 March 2014 via mobile

Have passed this placed lots of times and always thought is it nice? Well the answer is it yes!!!!Popped in late on a Friday night had the chicken balti with egg fried rice. Very nice indeed. The rice was one of the best I have ever had. Think I will be going back to this place again!

Cheltenham, United Kingdom
“supreme!”
Reviewed 16 February 2014

we have eaten heremany times and have never been disappointed. The food is wonderful, service excellent, great atmosphere and a fantastic takeaway and delivery service

Visited February 2014