“Best in Indian curry in Harborne”
Review of Mela

Mela
Ranked #244 of 2,323 Restaurants in Birmingham
Cuisines: Indian, Bangladeshi
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 15 August 2014

I have tried all of the Harborne curry restaurants and this is my favourite. Very freindly staff, an extensive menu with some unusual dishes. Good vegetarian options and a nice glass of complimentary brandy with the bill. Cheers guys!

Reviewed 15 July 2014

once you've climbed the stairs, this is a contemporary yet still charming Indian restaurant offering a great choice of well cooked delights. Attentive and humorous service. Will definitely go again.

1  Thank 479lindad
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Clean and smart with pleasant staff.
Food good and very well presented but the lamb biryani could have done with a bit more lamb.

Reviewed 16 May 2014

You walk past it in Harborne High Street... just a doorway and a small sign. But once the stairs are negotiated, the light, airy and not-too-big restaurant greets you with well appointed furniture and equally well appointed staff. Greeted and attended to immediately, the atmosphere was perfect for a meeting with a very old school friend and our respective wives. Garlic naan was cooked to perfection as was the Tawa dish I ordered. My comments to the owner / maitre d'i were comprehensively discussed. The Tawa [sometimes Thawa] I'm used to comes in a blue haze. The conflagration at Mela was more modest, as was the portion. But it was beautifully cooked and was just the right amount for what is a very rich dish. My friends enjoyed a standard biriani and we were given excellent brandies and Bailleys as the ubiquitous complimentary to conclude. Very polite, attentive service even if a little slow. But looks like everything was fresh. Can't have it both ways!

1  Thank Arthur T
Reviewed 16 April 2014

We were heading home via Harborne and looked on Google for an Indian Restaurant.

Google said 'Best Indian in Harborne' - so high expectations.

We parked around the corner in a side street and followed Google Maps along the High Street. When it said we had arrived we were stood outside a doorway that lead to a flight of stairs - on well we had come this far.

We walked up the narrow stairway and were surprised to find a modern clean looking restaurant and we were greeted by a friendly waiter who showed us immediately to our table.

We ordered two curries. A house speciality with mixed meat and fish for hubby and a king prawn Malayan for me. We shared a portion of veg rice and a plain naan.

I am not a big curry fan and hubby jumps at the opportunity whenever he can if I say I fancy a curry - but I will certainly fancying a curry more often - this one was the best curry that I have ever had and the naan bread was yummy too.

I hate it when curry houses say mild and I get something too hot or something like a stew with no flavour - this chef understands flavour - super.

1  Thank GIllyowl