“Better than expected pub grub”
Review of The Red Lion

The Red Lion
Ranked #529 of 2,287 Restaurants in Birmingham
Price range: US$5 - US$20
Cuisines: British
Description: The Red Lion Kings Heath is an award winning establishment based on Vicarage road, Kings Heath. We offer a great range of food and drinks, something to suit everyone's cravings. As well as a family welcoming interior we also boast two well maintained beer gardens for those light summer nights. A function room is available to hire for your special occasion. Pop in and see for yourself and let us know what you think. The Red Lion Team.
Reviewed 22 December 2013

Didn't plan to eat here, I was going to a gig in the upstairs section but was short of time so thought I'd make do with something in the pub. What I had was much more than expected. Lovely friendly staff for a start. I felt comfortable eating alone here before the rest of my group arrived for the gig.

Had the special offer 2 courses and was absolutely stuffed but really enjoyed my burger, lattice fries and pudding.

This is an ember inn pub and I wouldn't hesitate in eating in one again.

Reviewed 22 August 2013

Great pub with friendly bar staff and good atmosphere. The food is consistently above average and fantastic value. I've eaten here more than a dozen times and it always delivers.

Reviewed 1 August 2013

Given that the pub is close to where we were on a friend's birthday, and that the weather was gorgeous and the pub has a garden, and I always like to give nice people another chance, it was the right thing to do to go there and eat. And we were all pleasantly surprised. Food quantities have improved, more care is being taken, and there's a new extended menu due out soon. Don't go for the sticky chicken wings though- over £4 for a measly 3 wings is ridiculous. The nice member of staff changed the order for us and in fact offered to do so. I don't think my mentioning writing reviews for this site influenced the courtesy with which we were treated, I think it was because the staff actually care... I hope to be able to comeback and give the pub 4 out of 5 after our next visit, which will be soon...

Reviewed 1 July 2013

This is a very busy pub. We went on a warm Saturday evening and the gardens and front bar were very busy with people out for a Saturday night drink.
We made our way to the rear lounge and perused the extensive menu. After a wait at the bar I ordered the Barbecue Smothered Chicken & Scampi for my wife.
The food was served remarkably quickly and was very hot, well presented & tasty.
With a desert, the bill was less than £15.
First class pub food at an affordable price - well worth a visit.

Reviewed 23 April 2013

The Red Lion used to be the perfect place for a quick meal and the quality was never a disappointment, but just recently something has happened to the food, and my husband and I would have to be hard pressed to eat there. I'm so sad about this! I love the pub and the staff, and not to be able to take a friend or relative there is not something I expected to have happen. It used to be good value for money, but I don't think it is any more. The 1st sign of a decline was the last Christmas dinner. Then the famous fish & chips did a nosedive. Now there's nothing on the menu I'd pay to eat - sorry to say. The owners (Ember Inns i.e. Mitchells & Butlers) need to look to their laurels. In a time of recession, I think people are being even more careful how they spend their money on eating out. No - I don't just think, I know! We're also rediscovering the simple delights of homecooking: a bacon and egg sandwich, an omelette, a casserole... Sorry I can't recommend The Red Lion any more.