“Lovely place to stay”

Ranked #29 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Desborough, United Kingdom
“Lovely place to stay”
Reviewed 18 September 2013

Being very new and modern the interior and quality is exactly what you would expect so I will not dwell on that. The only slight complaint about the room would be the noise from other (loud!) guests making their way along the corridor in the early hours of the morning. Breakfast was a buffet affair but we did feel that the quality of the cooked food was a bit low as it had been cooked some time before we ate, and had been kept warm for some time. Something fresher would have been better. Also, the same area is used as the bar and on a Saturday night there were only two staff on duty running both the bar and reception which meant a rather long wait to be served at the bar when busy. The lighting in the seated area was on full and as these are new, bright lights, the ambiance was reduced - it was very harsh. It was much later before the lighting was dimmed and the area felt more comfortable. All in all, 9/10 I'd say - these are niggles but nothing that would stop me staying again

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

1 Thank Kevin N
NeilParks, General Manager at Hampton by Hilton Birmingham City North, responded to this review, 28 September 2013
Dear Kevin N,

I was pleased to see you enjoyed your stay with us.
Thank you for sharing your comments an I will be reviewing these with my Team to ensure we can improve our service and standards where necessary
I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hampton by Hilton Birmingham City North in the near future

Neil Parks

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 September 2013

Stayed at this hotel with 2 friends on a Mums' escape weekend. Really good value. It's new, smart and really clean. Convenient location but outside the busy central core. Interesting bars and restaurants nearby. Really good night's sleep.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Dear Flappy72,

Renfrewshire
Reviewed 13 September 2013

We read some good reviews before booking - and we were not disappointed! The location is good if arriving from the North or want to go to the Jewellery District, only slight nuisance is that there is no adjoining car park - but public parking is quite close. The staff were without exception amongst the friendliest and most efficient I've ever experienced - even in much more expensive hotels. The rooms are not big, but are well planned and well equipped (even have a safe) - but rooms facing the front have a very narrow window. Breakfast was good - reasonable choice and pretty good quality. In short, this is a very good place to stay - especially at current prices - any time I'm in Birmingham in future, this is where I'll stay.

Room Tip: The lift announcements are quite loud so its best to avoid rooms near the lifts.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
NeilParks, General Manager at Hampton by Hilton Birmingham City North, responded to this review, 15 September 2013
Dear renfrewshire_boy

I was pleased to see you enjoyed your stay with us.
My Team check Trip Advisor on a regular basis and were pleased to see your comments about them

London
Reviewed 7 September 2013

This hotel is set in a mainly residential area but also a short distance to the city centre. The accommodation was very pleasant. With a good shower and nicely appointed room. It was a comfy stay with everything that you would want in a room such as a/c, TV, selection of pillows. As is customary with this type of hotel, the breakfast is buffet serve yourself from a wide selection of cereals, fruit and cooked food such as scrabbled egg, beans, tomatoes, mushrooms sausages and bacon. My only compliant was that there is no parking attached to this hotel and they ask you to park in the public car park behind the hotel. The car park did not appear to be very secure as there was no CCTV and was not occupied by any staff.

Room Tip: Get a room at the back of the hotel as that appears to be the quieter side.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Dear macka_splaff,

Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 September 2013

We booked this hotel after reading the reviews on this site as we were looking for somewhere to stay in or near Birmingham. I did have a few reservations due to the price wondering if it would live up to the reviews and am pleased to stay I was not disappointed. The staff were welcoming and friendly and went out of their way to get us acquainted with the area, even photocopying maps and routes to get to the centre. The rooms were equally impressive and everything was new and clean and comfortable which is a massive compliment from me as I am a bit phobic about hotel rooms, the bathroom and walk in shower was fab, the bar on the evening catered well for the kids and breakfast catered for even the fussy eaters amongst us. The only downside which is no reflection at all on the hotel was the walk back from town on the evening. It was only a 15-20 min walk back, but it was pretty unnerving with the subways and the people hanging around them, would definitely not recommend it. I will definitely consider booking Hampton again in the future.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Dear macka_splaff,

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 September 2013

my daughter has just moved to Birmingham and this hotel was the closest to her new apartment
hence why we chose it. I thought the cost per night was very reasonable especially with the free breakfast. The hotel is only a 15-20 minute walk into town or a 5 minute bus ride.
externally the hotel doesnt look much but the inside is quite smart.

Check in wasnt until three but we were literally passing the door at 1pm so attempted check in.
all was quiet but we were told that the room wasnt ready so we checked in and left our bags.

we went back around 5.15. the recepption was extremely busy and when it got to our turn we were told that hey couldnt find our booking. we told them that we had checked in but they couldnt find us on the system. Luckilly I had my booking reference and we were found. we were told that the room still wasnt ready but they would find us one which was. we were going out at 6.30 and were keen to get in and freshen up. whilst we were standing at reception, people were ringing up to be told that the hotel was overbooked and that they had been relocated so we were glad that we had checked in earlier. at 5.30 we were told that our room was ready so we went up.

it wasnt,
it hadnt been cleared after the last occupant. we asked the housekeeper who absolutely wasnt bothered so we went downstairs and they appologised and we had a free glass of wine, whist waiting another couple came down saying their room wasnt ready either. after a second glass of wine we finally got our room just after 6pm

we had an awful nights sleep with groups of people going from room to room and generally being very loud.

breakfast was ok with a basic buffet of scrambled eggs, beans, sauteed potatoes and sausages
plus toast cereals and croissants/muffins
coffee was out of a machine

overall good value but not what I would expect from a Hilton hotel

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tosherinp60
NeilParks, General Manager at Hampton by Hilton Birmingham City North, responded to this review, 6 September 2013
Dear tosherinp60,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments.

I have discussed your comments in full with our Housekeeping Team as I was disappointed to read your room wasn't ready until 6pm. Whilst they were facing some challenges on the day this should not have affected the guest experience in anyway and please accept my sincere apologies for this shortfall.

I will contact you directly to arrange a full refund under our 100% Satisfaction Guarantee, whereby if you are not happy then we don't expect you to pay !!

Hopefully I can look forward to welcoming you back to the Hampton by Hilton Birmingham City North in the near future when visiting your daughter

Birmingham, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 September 2013

I just want to start by saying that i should have been giving this 5 stars, but the morning staff and the breakfast really let the score down, i'll explain why later.. We stayed 31st of Aug 2013.

The price for the hotel is excellent and the location close to the Jewellery quarter is only a 10/15 minute walk from New street station. The staff who checked us in Romana? and another lady were excellent and efficient.. We had drinks in the bar and the high level of service resumed.

We had a little noise outside the room, but considering it was a Saturday night it's going to be expected and wasn't remotely a problem... So far so good!

We went down for breakfast in the morning and it was a complete role reversal from the previous night. The whole place was like feeding time at the zoo - Littered with red trays, finished plates and not one person cleaning them up. We cleaned our own table up (no trouble) and sat down, i ventured over to the breakfast buffet and it was disgusting - Rubbish everywhere, no glasses, no trays and no one seemingly doing anything at all. The breakfast is terrible and even though it's free, a hilton brand should have a certain level of quality. All the cooked food looked like it could have done with a bit longer, and i think another reviewer mentioned the sausages - Wow, these were horrific, under cooked, tasteless and food poisoning waiting to happen.

I'd recommend changing suppliers or at least cooking the food properly.. I'm not sure the staff were overly sure what to do in the morning and no real organisation was going on.

Decent little hotel, good rooms but avoid, avoid, avoid the breakfast!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Byron W,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments regarding your recent saty with us.

As you metion the weekends are extremely busy at the hotel which adds pressure when most guests come down at once in the morning. This was the case on the morning you stayed with us when a large party all met to have breakfast at the same time.

I can also assure you that our food is prepared to a satisfactory standard and the hotel has been awarded a 5* rating by the local authorities. We are working closely with our suppliers to establish an alternative product and testing is continuing.

Please accept my apologies for this shortfall in service on a very busy morning. Hopefully I can look forward to welcoming you back to the Hampton by Hilton Birmingham City North again in the future

regards