“Great service and wonderful rooms”

Hampton by Hilton Birmingham City North
Ranked #36 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Stevenage, United Kingdom
“Great service and wonderful rooms”
Reviewed 16 December 2013

I went there for a business trip, stayed there for a week. Great location.. Wonderful hotel service and spotless rooms. Loved the breakfast. The staff is friendly to sort things out for you.
Did not find any problems about the hotel..

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
Scunthorpe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 December 2013

My wife and I stayed here for two nights to visit the Birmingham German Christmas Market, do a little shopping in the center of Birmingham and see a show at the Rep.
The hotel is fairly easy to find with satnav but instead of using the hotel address, use the car par address just behind the hotel if travelling by car. B3 1TE will take you there. Parking is only £3 per day (8 to 6). Parking overnight and on a Sunday is free. Remember to come down and renew your ticket at 8 in the morning if needed.
The hotel is spotlessly clean in both the rooms and the public areas. As with all Hampton hotels, the quality is good but everything is compact. This one however, has a little more room then the others I have stayed in. The rooms have digital tv, tea and coffee facilities and toiletries as well as iron, hairdryer and WiFi. The WiFi in my room did not log on but was OK in the public areas. Breakfast comes with the package and although not overly ambitious, has everything you could want from a cooked English to Continental, cereals etc.
St. Pauls square is only 5 minutes walk away with a few nice places to eat (Couple of Italian, Chinese and bar meals) as well as some nice pubs. The city is a little further but is still only a 15 minute walk at most or a 5 minute and £5 taxi ride into Centenary Square which has Broad Street and its bars on one side and New Street with the shops on the other. The Bull Ring is at the other end of New Street another 10 minutes further on.
All in all a very clean and friendly hotel convenient for the city and at a budget price but with a better then budget quality. You can hear the trams in the morning if you listen for them but they were certainly not loud enough to disturb us.

Room Tip: Back of the hotel (even room numbers) have the tram line behind front has the main road
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 December 2013

Apart from the fact that the hotel is a 15 minute walk from the centre of Birmingham, everything about the hotel was superb. The staff, bedroom and complimentary breakfast were fantastic, Will definitely stay again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

england
Reviewed 10 December 2013

Myself my partner and four friends stayed for a night to visit the German market in Birmingham.
Reception staff were fantastic, very friendly and polite, an asset to the hotel.
Parking is very cheap compared to the city centre.
Rooms large and spotlessly clean.
Breakfast fab.
Could not fault a thing about the hotel and will stop again in a heartbeat, good location for both the city centre and the jewerly quater.
A big thank you to all.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Mansfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 December 2013

We had booked an overnight stay on my birthday as we had plans in Birmingham and did not want to drive home late at night. I am a silver Hhonors member and I did notify the hotel that it was my birthday. It is a Hampton which means I have realistic expectations. I did not expect anything other than perhaps a room not overlooking a wall and a roof.
This is the first time I am disappointed with a Hilton family hotel.

Location: I am not overly familiar with Birmingham but the area does not appear 'nice'. We parked at the parking lot recommended by the hotel and the area has an industrial estate feel. We walked to the German market and from the hotel to central Birmingham later in the evening.

Check-in: there was no queue and we were greeted by a very helpful Eastern European man. Check-in was efficient and he went out of his way to provide excellent customer service.

Room: the room was on the same level as a roof and our very small window had a view of the roof and the wall of the other side of the hotel. Not exactly a great view. The room was of an average size for a UK hotel room and it was very clean. The bathroom had a nice shower and it was very clean. The bed was a bit too firm for my liking.

Breakfast: it was the standard Hampton breakfast and it was, as always, nice.

Overall: this is a good hotel, with clean and comfortable rooms. The Broad Street Hampton is much better located if you want to explore Birmingham city center.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 December 2013

Used this hotel for a single night stop over on a xmas party just round the corner and it was a great choice. Clean, friendly, reasonably priced, AMAZING BREAKFAST and really high standards of hygiene. There is an open air car-park just around the corner which is safe really low cost.

Would use again - no question.

Room Tip: The lifts require you room key to operate (security) - ALL rooms!! Four floors available - 3rd floor...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Enfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 December 2013

I haven't been anywhere in a while and me and my partner was looking for a quiet little getaway where we could relax and within budget. We booked to stay at the Hampton by Hilton City North after looking around on a few websites and we were quite impressed by what we read. We arrived on Friday afternoon with 2 staff members at the reception, one of who had greeted us and said she''ll be with us in a minute as I believe she was having a slight issue with the computers or something, and the other who was serving someone else. We waited (not long), then another guy came and was looking at the computer, and barely cracked a smile or greeted us to say that someone would be with us shortly, which I was a bit unimpressed by as the other girl had now left the reception and he didn't know whether someone had spoken to us or not. We were soon served by the other receptionist when she had finished with the other guest. I didn't catch her name but she was very polite and helpful and gave us all information we needed for our stay. Our stay was quite pleasant but first night the toilet was making some weird noises which we didn't really want to be a bother about so we just kept the bathroom door shut. Our second night was also just as nice, but again some of the staff could be just that bit more attentive to guests. We wanted to order a take away and asked if this was ok first and if we could borrow some plates and glasses. We were told this would be no problem and proceeded to get our plates. A staff member walked past into the kitchen and I asked her where we could get the glasses from and she said if we ask at the bar they will give us some. We went to the bar with only one staff member serving so we waited patiently, then surprisingly the staff who had told us to go to the bar had just gone round to the bar also, then another staff member came and they were chatting and hugging (or more putting arms around shoulders and having a giggle and catch up chat, what it seemed like), then what looked like a manager or supervisor came and they chatted some more while we waited, as the other member of staff who was originally there was still serving, and I thought this was very unprofessional as they kept us waiting. After 5 mins or so when they'd finish chatting the staff who told us to go there, then came over and said, 'oh did you want some glasses', she was polite about it, but I was not impressed at the fact that she knew we wanted glasses but yet not one, or two, but three members of staff watched us stand there before we were spoken to. Besides this the bed was very comfy and the room temp was adjustable, though I think there should have been windows that could open just for that slight bit of fresh air sometimes but there was air con. Breakfast I believe was fantastic, IT IS FREE, what can you really complain about and I believe there was a lot of choice and nice touches, like the different types of tea, hot chocolate, mocha. Also very impressed with the rooms and the cleanliness, I think the cleaners do a great job, no complaints there. We did have to ask for more pillows just for comfort, and this took nearly an hour to come as they said they took it to the wrong room (when we did eventually get it) and we had to ask again, but overall a nice hotel. I would have to consider staying again as some of the service could definitely be better and this would cross my mind before booking, but I cannot knock anything else as it was value for money.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor away from the train line, though I was on 2nd and this did not dist...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple