“From uneasy to QUEASY!”

Cuisines: International
Whittlesey, United Kingdom
“From uneasy to QUEASY!”
Reviewed 1 December 2013

We saw the sign for Buffet Hut and assumed it was a cheap and cheerful buffet place. Our expectations weren't high but they certainly weren't met. We were shown to a dirty table, behind the food counter. We were told to be careful because the floor was a bit slippy (It was GREASY) but we also had to be careful not to collide with any staff coming and going with food through the single door next to our table. It had no glass panel in and my friend was nearly hit by the door as someone came through. Our table was quickly cleared (not cleaned) as the man who later was revealed as the manager, pulled 2 two tables from the six and told us to sit on the four remaining.
As the floor was LITTERED with food, cutlery and rubbish, I stood back to allow it to be be swept. The manager motioned for me to sit down. I told him I would let him clear the floor first. His response was "it's fine" and again motioned for me to sit down and walked away. I was stunned. When he walked back past our table I told him that I would be using the two additional chairs for my bags because I was not willing to put them on the floor because it was so filthy. I hoped this would prompt him to sweep the floor. No such look - he just nodded.
I was rapidly turning from uneasy to queasy. I looked around and saw there was dirt on the shelves of the food cabinets and under them on the floor - that looked more than a day old.
I asked a member of staff if it would be possible for me to have a look in the kitchen. He referred me to the manager who listened when I told him that I needed reassurance that the kitchen was clean. He said no because he had to think of the welfare of everyone in the restaurant. I told him it wasn't going to be an inspection, I just wanted to look and see that it was clean. I also said if he was looking after the welfare of people he would have slippy floor signs displayed and a cleaner restaurant.
Again he said "no". I looked around again and realised I would not be able to eat here- very little puts me off my food but I was genuinely starting to feel ill at the possible horrors that were in the kitchen and couldn't help think of the images from TV programmes showing filth. The manager seemed surprised that we were going "you are leaving??" I told him that as he was not able to reassure me by letting me see the kitchen, I was not able to eat there. He said "Ok".
I was so pleased we made the decision to leave.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank CandA61

Birmingham, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“wouldnt even feed a cat there”
Reviewed 27 November 2013

we went in their today as saw it was all you can eat for £5 we thought we would give it a go payed got drinks i selected rice and noodles and chips the noodles were dry rice was cold had no taste to them the chips were cold and hard. the garlic bread was just garlic toast the pizza was burnt and looked horrible. the place didnt look clean i wish now i checked scores on the doors befor we entered then it would of shown it was given a 2 by the food hygeine people.
people dont waste your money as you can get a nice tasting meal for he same price somewhere different

Visited November 2013
1 Thank Hayley O
“Speechless.”
Reviewed 26 November 2013

No words can really describe how truely awful this place is. £5 is massively overpriced, we were enuinely concerned about our health with what we put into us that unforgettable day.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank Tomadams1990
Birmingham, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Would have rather burned my £5 note”
Reviewed 8 November 2013

We walked in and our presence was barely acknowledged. They demanded a fiver from us and gave us a plate smaller than what you'd use to put leftover scraps on for your dog. We showed ourselves to our table. The food was something of a joke. The buffet itself looked like a drunk guy had prepared it at 5am, but I gave it a try anyway, as the big 'foodie' i am. So i'm normally appreciative of all types of food.

But i can safely say this was the worst i have every had the displeasure of putting inside me. Spring rolls and samosas that tasted like cardboard, a pathetic excuse for a salad section (tomatoes, cucumber, coleslaw and a big bowl of ketchup next to it) horrible gloopy sweet and sour chicken, a choice of one chicken curry that hardly had any big chunks of chicken, and a vegetable pizza slice that looked like it had been left out in the sun for a week. I didn't bother with the pineapple fritters as by this point I wanted to leave as quickly as possible. I was thirsty because they 'didn't do tap water'. How can you not 'do tap water'? It's literally impossible. There's obviously a tap in the kitchen. Absolute joke. Anyway I didn't want to give this place anymore of my money to get a ONE POUND tiny can of pepsi so we ran up those steps and never looked back. This place should be shut down. Rant over.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank OliB G
London
“Value for money”
Reviewed 8 November 2013 via mobile

Buffet hut. There is nothing more value for money in Birmingham high street or at bullsring. I must say it really annoys me when I see the girl with the bluetooth headset talking on the phone and also serving all together.

4 Thank SaurabhSal