“Absolutely appalling”

Ranked #1,570 of 2,206 Restaurants in Birmingham
Cuisines: International
“Absolutely appalling”
Reviewed 10 February 2014

It was terrible. It's made me sick. The chicken was not cooked properly and the service was terrible. We tried to tell him the food wasn't cooked properly and he went over, picked up the food and said no it's fine, put it back down on the tray and walked away. It was disgusting. I wouldn't even let my dog eat from there. Stick to meal deal bab

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank Reganlubke

Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Its £5 all you can eat - stop playing your face!”
Reviewed 10 January 2014

To be honest the title should say it all. You pay £5 and you can eat as much as you like, is there anywhere else around that does a similar offer? no. This place is half the price of the 'Big Wok' and I would say has about 1/4 of the dishes available there but if you've got a fiver in your pocket and fancy stuffing your face then this is the place to go.
Yeah sure its probably not got the cleanest of floors, the décor hasn't changed too much from the days when it was the Yard of Ale pub, there are some comical signs written in poor English, the woman behind the counter has got a Bluetooth headset on and yabbers down it and the only other person in there is the guy serving the food but did you expect a Michelin star for £5?.
You go in, you pay a fiver for your smallish plate (cue Alan Partridge joke), cutlers and paper napkins. Chose a table and then go serve yourself.
'Dishes from around the world' does seem to be mainly Chinese food, 'Italian' pizza (with peas!) and err 'French' fries. The puddings and fruit don't really seem up to much but plate up a load of starters n wolf them down then scrape your plate into the bin and slap some more on! the wet Chinese dishes with fried rice are good and I would say about four dishes worth will fill your belly nicely.
You'll pay a £1 at the counter for a can of pop or you could probably bring your own in if you wanted to be sneaky. Yes you only get on plate and have to scrape it clean before selecting more food but that's the price you pay I guess.......that price is £5 haha.
The food was okay, the sweet n sour and Chinese curry was nice, the rice was piping hot, the serving guy was topping stuff up and for £6 (including my can of pop) I was stuffed.
If you want to pay double that plus extras for beer then treat yourself to the Big Wok or Jimmy Spices.

• Visited January 2014
2 Thank AJMids
Whittlesey, United Kingdom
“From uneasy to QUEASY!”
Reviewed 1 December 2013

We saw the sign for Buffet Hut and assumed it was a cheap and cheerful buffet place. Our expectations weren't high but they certainly weren't met. We were shown to a dirty table, behind the food counter. We were told to be careful because the floor was a bit slippy (It was GREASY) but we also had to be careful not to collide with any staff coming and going with food through the single door next to our table. It had no glass panel in and my friend was nearly hit by the door as someone came through. Our table was quickly cleared (not cleaned) as the man who later was revealed as the manager, pulled 2 two tables from the six and told us to sit on the four remaining.
As the floor was LITTERED with food, cutlery and rubbish, I stood back to allow it to be be swept. The manager motioned for me to sit down. I told him I would let him clear the floor first. His response was "it's fine" and again motioned for me to sit down and walked away. I was stunned. When he walked back past our table I told him that I would be using the two additional chairs for my bags because I was not willing to put them on the floor because it was so filthy. I hoped this would prompt him to sweep the floor. No such look - he just nodded.
I was rapidly turning from uneasy to queasy. I looked around and saw there was dirt on the shelves of the food cabinets and under them on the floor - that looked more than a day old.
I asked a member of staff if it would be possible for me to have a look in the kitchen. He referred me to the manager who listened when I told him that I needed reassurance that the kitchen was clean. He said no because he had to think of the welfare of everyone in the restaurant. I told him it wasn't going to be an inspection, I just wanted to look and see that it was clean. I also said if he was looking after the welfare of people he would have slippy floor signs displayed and a cleaner restaurant.
Again he said "no". I looked around again and realised I would not be able to eat here- very little puts me off my food but I was genuinely starting to feel ill at the possible horrors that were in the kitchen and couldn't help think of the images from TV programmes showing filth. The manager seemed surprised that we were going "you are leaving??" I told him that as he was not able to reassure me by letting me see the kitchen, I was not able to eat there. He said "Ok".
I was so pleased we made the decision to leave.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank CandA61
Birmingham, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“wouldnt even feed a cat there”
Reviewed 27 November 2013

we went in their today as saw it was all you can eat for £5 we thought we would give it a go payed got drinks i selected rice and noodles and chips the noodles were dry rice was cold had no taste to them the chips were cold and hard. the garlic bread was just garlic toast the pizza was burnt and looked horrible. the place didnt look clean i wish now i checked scores on the doors befor we entered then it would of shown it was given a 2 by the food hygeine people.
people dont waste your money as you can get a nice tasting meal for he same price somewhere different

Visited November 2013
1 Thank Hayley O
“Speechless.”
Reviewed 26 November 2013

No words can really describe how truely awful this place is. £5 is massively overpriced, we were enuinely concerned about our health with what we put into us that unforgettable day.

Visited November 2013