“Introduction to Wine Tasting”

Birmingham Wine School - Day Classes
More attraction details
Owner description: We offer wine tasting and wine courses for people who enjoy wine and would like to learn more about it. We offer a range of wine tasting events, from introductory evenings through to the Wine and Spirit Education Trust (WSET) Level 3 Award. All are delivered in a relaxed manner designed for you to enjoy wine just that little drop more. Our events are always fun and friendly, where you will always taste great wine.
Reviewed 9 May 2014

I purchased this course for my girlfriend and I and I'm glad I did!

Rob has a wealth of knowledge and was keen to share it with the group. The setting was very informal and relaxed and we were encouraged to speak out about each wine, giving it our personal score and comparing notes at the end.

There was a small but varied menu for lunch, catering to most diets and the food was delicious. The cheese board with the red wines was also very good.

I'm currently looking into more courses by the Birmingham Wine School, so highly recommended!

BirminghamWineSchool, Owner at Birmingham Wine School - Day Classes, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

Hi, thank you for your review. I think wine tasting makes a brilliant gift, and I'm really pleased you enjoyed... Hope to see you again soon... Many thanks Rob

All reviews
"port tasting"
"friendly informative"
"tasting session"

Reviewed 1 May 2014 via mobile

I received the introduction to wine tasting with Champagne lunch as a Birthday present from my partner. Although he had been on a previous course this was a new experience for me. The venue (old joint stock) is beautiful and a great atmosphere.
Rob is superb and really made the experience, despite there being about 25 people he had time for each individual answering questions, passing on his knowledge, tips and enthuasium.
We sampled 15 wines and Champagnes in total, slurping (technical term!) and discussing flavours, grape varieties and regions. It was interesting to see the differences in scoring/favourites within the group at the end of the day and despite initial anxieties there was no pretention!! I still havent found a red wine i like, but what a fantastic gift. Will definately book another! Thanks Rob!!

BirminghamWineSchool, Owner at Birmingham Wine School - Day Classes, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2014

Hi Lisa, thank you very much for your review. Just concerned we still haven't found you a red wine you like! More tasting required I think... regards, Rob

Reviewed 29 April 2014

We were gifted this event by our daughter who had been to some evening wine tasting sessions with the Birmingham Wine School. We attended on saturday the 26th of May. Rob is a really good teacher and gave us lots of information on all aspects of wine tasting. We tasted a total of 15 wines covering a great range of wine styles. All of them were of excellent quality and carefully chosen. Rob is a real expert on his subject and has great enthusiasm as a teacher.
If I have a warning it is only that you pace yourself. Fifteen wines in a single session is a lot. I suggest that you taste only small amounts otherwise you risk losing powers of discrimination before the end.
Also I suggest that the experience is best suited to those that have a genuine interest in learning about wines. It is not really for groups looking for just a social event.

BirminghamWineSchool, Owner at Birmingham Wine School - Day Classes, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2014

Hi, thank you for your review. I'm glad my passion for wine comes through, but to be honest, if you can't be passionate about wine what can you be passionate about! Thanks again. Rob

Reviewed 17 February 2014

This was purchased by my sister as a birthday gift, went along last Saturday not really knowing what to expect ! Can I say what a great day out, everyone on it (about 29 of us ) seemed to really enjoy it . Lunch was provided which was good ..also cheese & biscuits back in the room after which was a bonus being able to eat it with the red wine selection!! Recommend to anyone who likes a glass of wine or two !!

BirminghamWineSchool, Owner at Birmingham Wine School - Day Classes, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2014

Hi, thank you for your wonderful review, very kind and much appreciated. You can't beat a spot of wine tasting on a Saturday. Although I guess any day of the week is good with me... thanks again Rob.

See more reviews
Reviewed 30 January 2014

I attended the Introduction to Wine day with my husband as a 40th birthday present and we had a fantastic day. Rob was very welcoming when we arrived and his passion for wine clearly came across throughout the day. He was very informative and happy to answer questions as we went along. We also had a really nice lunch (the course we attended was at the White Swan in Stratford upon Avon) halfway through the day as well. The range of wines to taste was good and we certainly had our minds opened to a few wines we have never really tried before as well as learning quite a lot about the wine making process, grapes and regions in the world. We'd certainly attend another one of the courses in the future when we can and highly recommend this taster day course to anyone who enjoys wine and would just like to learn more about wine in general. Thanks Rob!

1  Thank Loopylou1994
BirminghamWineSchool, Owner at Birmingham Wine School - Day Classes, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2014

Hi, thank you for your review. really please you enjoyed the day. It's quite tough work tasting wine all day - but someone has to do it!! Now all you have to do is taste those hundreds of wines no one has ever heard of... And enjoy. thanks again, Rob