“Gerda and Bjarne Bro Denmark recommends from 3. Juli 2013”
Review of Punjabi Rasoi

Punjabi Rasoi
Ranked #634 of 2,345 Restaurants in Birmingham
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 4 July 2013

We are not experienced in Indian cooking. But we found this restaurant very very god. Good and kind advises. Very tasty dishes. And had an interesting conversation with The waiter abolut Danish and Indian cooking traditions

1  Thank Bjarne B

Reviewed 29 June 2013

Outside the restaurant does not stand out, and we were tempted to drive away.

Once inside our opinions changed, fantastic setting, clean and modern. Food is so tasty and tastes like home made food. Service is good and fast and we were made to feel welcome.

Don't judge a book by it's cover.

We will be going back!

Reviewed 17 June 2013 via mobile

I come here as a regular customer and know the owners and staff well. Whether its a take away or a sit in meal the food is truly second to none. Best local restaurant hands down.

There are far too many Bangladeshi/Kashmiri/ Pakistani restaurants around the area that portray them selves as Indian restaurants. Punjabi Rasoi truly is authentic with real "desi" food you would find in North India.

My personal favourite is Lamb Karahi, with green chillies made "desi hot" how I would get at home. The Keema is also delicious. My wife is vegetarian and often orders the "Paneer Makhani", as a non vegetarian myself I find this dish is delightful!

The prices have gone up slightly since it has been refurbed and changed its name (formerly called "Little Havanna") therefore I have given 4/5 for value. But other than that top notch and food is amazing.

Would recommend any true fan of Indian food to give this place a try!

1  Thank Sun1l
Reviewed 17 June 2013

I have been visiting this restaurant with my family for many years when it was called "Little Havanna" and have ordered many take-aways also. I am passionate about indian food and consequently have eaten at numerous indians in Birmingham and beyond. This restaurant has recently undergone a major refurbishment and it is now very smart. To be honest, its decor wasn't great when it was "Little Havanna" but the food was so good it didn't matter to me. Needless to say they have upped their game and the food in my opinion is better than the likes of Itihaas, Ashas, Lasan etc.
You must try their Lamb chops because they are wonderful and tender. Many indian restaurants fall short on lamb chops because unless you buy top quality lamb you can't "dress mutton as lamb" - so i think it's always a good indicator of the quality of produce you are eating.
Anyway, the curries are full of flavour, well spiced, using fresh herbs etc. Another good sign is that if you take them home and eat them a few days later they get even better.
The really good news is that i ate there tonight with my wife and discovered that they have just employed the head chef and manager from another very good restaurant which i believed served the best biryani in Brum. So now Punjabi Rasoi can do it all!!
In addition the staff there have always been very friendly and attentive so it really has got the lot. In terms of price it's excellent value because they only use the best ingredients and they serve very generous portions. The only thing that stops this restaurant being truly 5* is its location but that aside if you love good curry then you must try it!

Reviewed 8 June 2013

Have been here with my wife & family a few times & every visit has been a pleasure.

Usually a fine dining experience combined with authentic indian cuisine especially if its home style punjabi dishes your looking for can only be found in central birmingham. But have to say this beats them all hands down!

The menu isn't over crowded with dishes. Rather it highlights the best punjabi food has to offer.

A nice atmosphere for all the family.

2  Thank RT2P