“love this place!”

Ranked #174 of 2,192 Restaurants in Birmingham
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Cuisines: American, Cajun & Creole, Bar, Pub
Good for: Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining, Groups
Dining options: Drinks, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Soul Food, Real Ales and Tasty Cocktails served in a traditional pub with a big sunny roof terrace. Keep an eye out for our parties, 2-4-1 Ribs and weekend DJs. All our food is ethically sourced, we have veggie and vegan options and we're kid friendly.
Coventry
“love this place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

This is my third visit and so far I have not been disappointed. The food has been consistently yummy, large portions and service has been fab. It's a bit of a hidden gem, could be easy to walk past and it deserves more customers than I have seen on occasions. I love the ambience of the place, I like to sit in a booth. I look forward to my next visit.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Purplevongie

Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Nice little place which you could easily walk past”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014

The Church is a nice little pub on Great Hampton Road which produces "soul food" and mixes it with a good range of beers.

Yesterday evening I enjoyed a tasty chicken and chorizo jambalaya. It was a tasty plate of food which was rich with meat and a manageable amount of spice. Friends in our party had various other dishes including ribs and even an octopus salad. No complaints from anybody.

Nice staff. [I have to comment and say that when I first visited in the middle of last year there was one bartender who was rude and had told me that "it isn't one member of staff per person", even though a very helpful bartender had noticed I was waiting]. But he now appears to have gone and everybody seems lovely.

Go for a well-stocked bar and a very different range of pub food.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank GLSBirmingham
“Excellent Little Pub”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

I've been to the Church Inn on two occasions now and both times have been brilliant. The Church Inn was bought out and completely renovated some time last year and it's really improved in that relatively short time. Inside it's very traditional with one bar stocked high with spirits and two main rooms either side, both of which are quite small and can get full very quickly. We were welcomed in at lunch time by a very attentive waiter/bartender and showed the menus. Food comes via the Soul Food Project which basically means traditional deep south US dishes. I had the jerk chicken burger with fries which was somewhere between £8 and £10 but the burger was enormous. It tasted great and I was more than satisfied.

Recently I came back for a birthday party and had the opportunity to go deeper into the pub. Through an unassuming red door is a wide, covered outdoor space leading to various other areas, namely the saloon bar which our host had managed to book privately (with its own serving area), a rooftop terrace which I have yet to visit and a larger area at the rear which was buzzing thanks to the DJ who was playing (it was a Friday night). I honestly had a great night and there was a nice atmosphere all round.

Drinks are reasonably priced (£3-£4 per pint for most draft beers) but I wouldn't mind a few more draft lagers and ales to choose from. It's owned by Everards brewery so all the ale is from them and the lagers I noticed tended to be premium exports and wheat beers. But if cocktails and spirits are your thing you'll be spoiled for choice.

So, two visits and two very different but positive experiences. The new owners have done wonders with the place and the staff were all very friendly and quick to get people served. Worth a visit for both food and a good night out, The Church Inn should definitely be on any Jewellery Quarter pub crawl.

• Visited March 2014
2 Thank CitizenWolfie
“Heavenly!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

We had jambalaya and Ribs ...both bang on ...freindly staff and quick service even tho sat night and heaving ....look forward to eating on the roof tearrace in the summer

1 Thank lozzamozza
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Nice relaxed stylish environment”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014

Being fairly new to the city my boyfriend and I are keen to try different places and had several recommendations to try The Church Inn. Being the last day of a week long holiday we thought we'd treat ourselves to a Sunday lunch and we were not disappointed. It has a nice, stylish environment and the Louisiana/Soul theme is not OTT, there are lots of nice touches to the decoration, while at the same time the distinct features of the traditional pub remain. I like the stained glass and fireplaces and seating and the drinks in the bar being visible in the side room. It seems like a great venue for Summer, with an outdoor area and additional bar/function room and it hosts lots of events - the upcoming Crayfish Boil at Easter looks fun! The music is also enjoyable and adds to the chilled atmosphere. The Cajun-style food is also what attracts as it is different from the average standard pub fayre. It is also served all day so you are not restricted by the time which is good. We enjoyed our hush puppies starter which we'd never had before and my boyfriend loved his jambalaya, and I enjoyed my vegetable moqueca, however it could have done with a bit more spice, and maybe more bread or rice accompaniment and it was a little bit samey, so I don't think I'd choose it again, but there is a wealth of other things to try on the menu. There are also lots of cocktails to try, which I love, and I enjoyed my recommended Church Rum Punch (I always like to try the namesake cocktail first!) which had quite a kick! The service was friendly and attentive. I would definitely recommend it and it would be somewhere we'd take our friends when they come to visit as it is quirky and cool and a world away from the same-old chain bars and restaurants which is what we prefer. All in all a great find and we will be back and look forward to sampling more of the food, drink, music and events ! :)

• Visited April 2014