“top curry”

Hen and Chickens PH
Ranked #59 of 2,207 Restaurants in Birmingham
Cuisines: Indian, Asian, Pub, Balti, Grill
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Bar Scene
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
Halifax, United Kingdom
“top curry”
Reviewed 16 July 2014

strange don't be put off the snap is good even if the surroundings are a bit tacky. try the mixed grill the small one peronei on draught

Visited July 2014

Cannock, United Kingdom
“quality food in normal surroundings (one for the proper people)”
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Dont be fooled by the exterior....so much quality food for a more than fair price...the small mixed grill is perfect to share and is so nice.... will defo be back. Keep on doing what your doing guys :)

• Visited July 2014
2 Thank Doug G
birmingham
“Good food great taste”
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Not a palatial setting but good food, a range offered, good service with advice offered and great prices.Definitely worth a try.
Interesting I think that the recent bad reviews are from people who have only made one review ever! Call me cynical...
Book and make up your own mind.

• Visited June 2014
4 Thank dido1
Berlin
“Really good, but order small plate!”
Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

I had the large mixed plate and it was incredibly good!
But what I didn't know, is how extremley large the portion was. The large plate can easily feed three people. So follow my recommendation and order the small mixed plate. You'll love it!

Visited June 2014
2 Thank Jokelife
“An absolute disgrace.”
Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

17:00 on a Friday evening at work and I thought to myself, what better way to end the week with a cold beer and a bite to eat. I had no idea what I was letting myself in for. Myself and two friends went off to Hagley Road for a quite drink before one of my friends mentioned the Hen and Chicken pub. Being a fan of indian cuisine I was keen to experience the food of Hen and Chicken as I'd heard some fantastic reviews by what now seems to be, delusional customers. So off we went to the Leaning Tower of Pisa, sorry Hen and Chicken in the heart of beautiful Hockley. (I'll explain that joke a little later). I didn't expect much from the building inside as most pubs which serve indian cuisine spend more time on the quality of food rather than the surroundings. So in we went. I must say a pleasant atmosphere. A great selection of drinks and I thought to myself we're on to a winner here lads they've got Peroni on tap! Little did I know what was about to be served later. So we looked around for a table. There were only 4 tables of which 1 was available. First sign of a successful eatery is a busy dining area. But when there's only 4 tables in the main lounge it's not hard to find 16 people to fill a dining hall of 4 tables from Birmingham which has a population of over 1 million people. The table wasn't level. In fact the whole pub wasn't level. On reflection, I think Stevie Wonder could have got a building more level than this dive. So we made our order. As we have a mixgrill and curry on a regular basis we went for our usual. 1 mixgrill, chicken curry, 2 naans and chips. The food took about 30-40 minutes to arrive. In short, it arrived and it was an absolute disgrace. Some parts of the mixgrill was cold. I wouldn't have served that to my dog. To consider this in the top 5 places to dine in Birmingham 3 behind Michelin star restaurant Simpsons is an embarrassment. I didn't see a food hygiene rating probably because the experts are too afraid to eat in there themselves. When the toilets are
next to the kitchen you know you're on to a winner....NOT! Those who rate this 5/5 please venture into Smethwick and try the food at Red Cow or Desi 2. In summary, the food was shambolic and an embarrassment to my culture. NEVER AGAIN!!!

16 Thank Gurmeet S