“Friendly, local pub with a great mixed grill and no frills”

Hen and Chickens PH
Ranked #59 of 2,252 Restaurants in Birmingham
Cuisines: Asian, Barbecue, Indian, Pub, Grill
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Friendly, local pub with a great mixed grill and no frills”
Reviewed 2 August 2014

If you want a bit of a change from your usual pub grub and enjoy Indian food with your pint then this is the perfect place for you. This isn't a posh Indian restaurant so I'd ignore the bad reviews, most of which didn't seem to realise it was a pub.

The staff were extremely friendly and the atmosphere was relaxed. I'd recommend this place particularly for a group of mates to go have a pint with some great food. Try the mixed grill, you won't be disappointed, the large one will easily be shared between 2-3 people.

We'll be going back soon to try out the curry. It really is a hidden gem with no frills, great on a budget.

• Visited August 2014
2 Thank Jordw

Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Unbelievable jeff”
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Went here with a group of 8 , we booked a table in the back room and what can I say the food was fantastic .
Look past the exterior and interior of the pub itself . They put the effort into the food and it's well worth it. Great selection of drinks friendly staff and a great night .
Will be returning

5 Thank Laurence0121
Sutton Coldfield, United Kingdom
“Quality”
Reviewed 1 August 2014

cant fault any thing we had, excellent service, excellent food, nice drink, dont be fooled at the look of the place, better food here than any of these posh looking places. if these places spent more time on their food!!! than how the place looked, they may cook food as good as the hen and chicken. value for money to, will be going here many times again. lee&ele

• Visited August 2014
3 Thank lee431
London, United Kingdom
“Great Food on a Budget”
Reviewed 1 August 2014

If you want a good Curry and like your food plentiful at such a great price then go here. It’s actually a pub that serves food so don’t expect a lavish restaurant with all the trimmings. It’s a pub that serves bloody good food. I’ve read some of the bad reviews on this place and allot of what they mention are not even important. It’s a pub that serves bloody good food. And I’ve been to alot of pubs and restaurants in Brum and this does deserve to be top of the charts. Food tastes good. Staff were welcoming, beer was what i expected from beer....good. So what if the floors are wonky and the plates a little chipped. I'll say it again......It’s a pub that serves bloody good food.

3 Thank BoiledEgg1
Iver, United Kingdom
“Outstanding food in this Gem of a place”
Reviewed 30 July 2014

I visited this Public house by chance, whilst staying in Birmingham for a night. My normal restaurant of choice (Not anymore after visting the Hen & Chickens) was closed due to Eid/Ramadan, so me and a colleague started looking on this site for an alternative and turned up this real Diamond of a place. The postcode suggested it would be miles from our City centre hotel, but it turned out to be a 3 minute walk.
So off we set with no real expectation of what was to come. We looked at the menu and the first thing I noticed was the amazing prices. Curries were priced in the £6 bracket and the large mix Grill was £12. Being greeds BastarXs we promptly ordered the Large Mix Grill , Chicken patia, Lamb Karahi and a Keema peas, with Nan, Rice and Chapati's. The waitress did laugh, when she asked how many were eating and I said 2. I would come to undertsand why she laughed a short time later.
We then sat back with our Pints of Stella and Thatchers Cider and then we were staggered when the Mix Grill arrived. I have eaten Mix Grills in restaurants in Southall (where I was born and raised) and across the UK, but I have never been as gobsmaked as when this Behemoth of a mix Grill was put down in front of us. It was sizzling, steaming and the aromas were incredible. We both looked at this food mountain and realised we had ordered way too much food. I then promptly cancelled one of the curries we had ordered. The mix Grill itself was the star of the show, the platter (mountain) of Fish, Chicken tikka, Sheek Kebabs and Wings etc was truly stunning. It was spiced brilliantly and was juicy and succulent. It is definitely one of the best I have ever eaten.
In fact we both said at this point, that we could quite easily call it a day, as we were well satisfied at this stage. We then asked for a hold to be put on the main courses, for at least 30 minutes. I think 30 minutes turned to 45, before we felt able to take on the next hurdle of our night. The Lamb Karahi was excellent, whilst the Chicken Patia was a bit too sweet for my palate, but was nonetheless good. The Chapati's and Nan were freshly prepared and were excellent.
I do not understand the one or two negative reviews people have given this place, but when you read them you realise that they are probably written by people who have a vested interest in trying to ruin the outstanding reviews and reputation this establishment is gaining, ie jealous rivals.
All in with Several pints of Stella and Cider to wash down the delectable Smorgasbord we had eaten our billl came to £50. Which is truly excellent value. The staff are wonderful, friendly and are also a reason why I recommend this place to anyone who wants to eat outstanding food in a friendly establishment with smiling happy staff.

6 Thank ManjUtd