“no mixed feelings over the grill”

Hen and Chickens PH
Ranked #66 of 2,226 Restaurants in Birmingham
Cuisines: Asian, Barbecue, Indian, Pub, Grill
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“no mixed feelings over the grill”
Reviewed 24 August 2014

Always walked past this place and thought it looked very shabby, however after getting recommended it by a local barmaid I thought I would give it a go.
The interior isnt much better then the outside. There are 2 tvs showing sky sports and lots of men cheering, playing pool and drinking (its a pub after all)
Staff at the bar were friendly and jokey which was nice. The other customers were also nice, felt like a little community.
Me and my boyf ordered:
Large mixed grill
Roti
Garlic naan
Chicken jalfrezi
Lamb korma
Marsala fries

Mixed grill was great, it came out sizzling and smelt amazing. It consisted of:
Marsala fish
Lamb kebabs
Tandoori chicken breast chunks
Green chicken breast chunks (coriander?)
Chicken wings
Fried chicken legs
Was a massive portion, also we were given salad dips and lemon. Dips were lovely too. Meat was all good quality, full of flavour and great value for money, we finished the lot - we had to take our mains home in a doggy bag
After the meal we stayed for a few hours, chatting to other diners and some of the locals. The toilets let the place down, the locks on the doors didnt work and was dusty - in need of spucing up. After chatting to the owner he spoke of his plans to extend the eating area and refurbish it, which was good to hear.
Great selection of cider, lager, ale and spirits, including lots of single malts at a reasonable price
We ate the main the next day for lunch. Korma was lovely with good quality lamb and fresh cream. Good quantity of meat. The jalfrezi was also tasty, fresh onions and coriander over the top.the breads were also great value and very tasty. Even the marsala fries which we microwaved to warm up were great.
We have already invited my boyfs family to join us and booked a table for a couple of weeks time. I would recommend booking a table as the pub is very small. 100% recommend this place, however dont expect silver service and fine dining!

3 Thank Becky J

Birmingham, United Kingdom
“decent food, a bit overrated,needs a spruce up.”
Reviewed 22 August 2014

Read some decent reviews about this place so thought I would give it a try.
On arrival I must say I was not that impressed.
A very old tired looking establishment,barman though was friendly and the beer was o.k.
A fairly standard menu on offer. Opted for a chicken sizzler tikka.
Not bad,a bit on the dry side but tasty. Sauces and salad very nice.Not sure if I will try it again but no real complaints.
Establishment is very large and very old,a good refurb would do wonders as they say..'First impressions'.
Not quite sure why it has such rave reviews as I have had better elsewhere.Cheapness isn't everything.

1 Thank Davidwalker111
“Decent enough ale, average-good food, poor surroundings”
Reviewed 21 August 2014

As the title says..... My IPA was a decent pint, chicken tikka sizzler was good altho quite dry as it was breast meat, either way the salad and sauces were great. Wasn't keen on the place itself, it needs a full refurb and a deep clean. Food wise it's great if you're nearby but no better than several other desi style pubs I frequent.

1 Thank Rosskko
UK
“OK food, not quite the rating it seems to have on here tho”
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Firstly its a pub that does some indian food - that's about it - its cheap, so maybe that's why everyone seems to be raving about it. The food we had were starters and they were tasty, but nothing I wouldn't expect from any other Indian establishment. Barman we felt was rude so dampened things.

• Visited January 2014
6 Thank PSP31
“Best curry ever”
Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

Read the good reviews on tripadvisor and was not disappointed with the quality of the food and great value. They sell dortmunder union pils, had a stein of it, would recommend to anyone. Can't wait to go back.