“You get what you pay for”

The Birmingham Hotel
Ranked #111 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
“You get what you pay for”
Reviewed 13 December 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed in this hotel for a weekend trip away to birmingham. He booked this without looking at the reviews and I felt like crying when I read them.

Firstly, the hotel is not AS bad as some people make out but this hotel is old and in need of a revamp. Beware this hotel does not have a lift and there are endless numbers of stairs as the hotel is so over sized.

The room itself was suprisingly good. I have never been in such a large hotel room. We were first put in a twin room and even though this was slightly smaller than the double room we ended up in, they both were very large indeed.

We both had a continental breakfast which was good for the price and there was quite a good variety of food to choose from.

The service we had from the hotel reception was good. They quickly changed our hotel room for us and were happy to call us a taxi into town.

The hotel is right next to a small train station which is a cheap fayre away from town, but be warned no trains stop there on Sundays.

Overall we had a nice stay in the Birmingham hotel, but any hotel is what you make of it. I personally wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed October 2011

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Marple, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 November 2011

This was the worst night of my life, Room had blood on the ceiling, NO heating and NO blankets, curtain didn't close, television didn't work and mains cable sticking out of wall!
When i asked for blankets i was given an old double duvet cover and when i asked for heating in the room i was told to turn the radiator knob up (Being a specialist technical engineer for many years I didn't think of that!) though there was NO knob so maybe this is an extra!
They then offered me a pair of pyres to sort the radiator out myself!
You could NOT make this up, I will sleep in my car next time !!
I AM BOOKING INTO FAULTY TOWERS FOR SOME LUXERY in future !!

Tired and fed-fed up, Manchester

Room Tip: Sleep in car
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Stuart O

Travellers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

Croydon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 November 2011

Awful!!! stunk of smoke! guttering outside window ledge filled with cigarette ends and bottles.
NOISY air con unit in room, husband had no sleep. Pillows provided were wafer thin!!!!

Room dirty, stains on ceiling and carpet.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
west yorkshire
Reviewed 8 November 2011

After booking the hotel, I looked at the reviews and was convinced I had booked us into hell.

Nothing could be further from the truth.

Yes the hotel is very run down and is sadly in need of a cosmetic revamp, it also needs sufficient cleaning staff to manage a large building. Grubby in places, tired and worn out the management really need a rocket from head office. Someone is cost cutting, shaving budgets to the bone and the impact is driving customers away!

The reception staff are lovely, helpful, polite, they really couldnt do more. We had an issue with our key which was sorted out promptly but the hike down endless stairs and corridors was irritating.

Geoffrey G, you missed out on a treat not going for the breakfast! Now that's what I call an Full English! The restaurant is clean and bright, the service is fast and efficient. None of your cheap nasty watery bacon here! Made to order, none of those revolting hot plates of luke warm overdone eggs and undercooked bacon, it was fantastic! We did avoid breakfast the first morning because of the general air of neglect in the hotel but after talking to the chef on the first evening we took the plunge and our expectations were exceeded.

We are back in Birminham in March and will definately consider staying at this hotel again,

Note to management, with a little bit of TLC this could be a great budget hotel! Your current cost cutting initiatives may be designed to ride out the current economic downturn but they are having a huge negative impact on customer experience and satisfaction. In a competative market if you want to survive you need to get the detail right! The thermastats in the bedrooms need to work!, the pillows need replacing and extra blankets and pillows need to be in the room ready for guests if they want them. Housekeeping is important! grubby carpets and curtains are a real turn-off. Moldy corners in bathrooms are unacceptable.

Room Tip: No lift, lots of stairs and no ground floor rooms
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 October 2011

First impression dirty in need of TLC, Fire dor on landing hanging open! All appliences in the room PAT tests out of date or No PAT sticker.

I book for Breakfast but after noticing the dirty appearance of the hotel declined breakfast.

Room Tip: Find a different hotel
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
Denholm, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 October 2011

I had read previous reviews regarding this establishment, however this was AFTER I had booked! The bed was clean even although the 'duvet' was like a sheet of paper as was the pillow - on requesting more pillows this was a major problem but eventually 2 were found (there was 4 of us on this trip) The carpets, curtains were filthy, very tired. We then proceeded to the bar, they had Gin but no tonic, they only had Jack Daniels whiskey, the bottled beer was warm so although there was a fridge it was not switched on. As this trip was to visit the National Motorcycle Museum for my Dad's 81st birthday I was disappointed with the Hotel to say the least, after the bar closing at 11 - with no warning and no chance of any other drinks - not that there was much to choose from - we went to our rooms. The fire alarm starting going off about 2.30am and continued until 4.09am. My mother (80) slept with her clothes on as she was afraid, people were leaving the hotel through the night as they had had enough, the whole experience was a nightmare. Upon complaining at reception we were assured that we would receive a full refund, I am still pursuing this through Late Rooms.com which have been pretty good about the whole thing!! This hotel needs to be removed from any star ratings. We did however, move onto The Manor Hotel which was fantastic and I will review this next. We are not a fussy family, however, there is a standard that you expect and this was far from acceptable!

Room Tip: There is not one!
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 August 2011

I stayed for two nights , the hotel was dirty , not in a good area with alot of street noise . The duvet was very thin and the room was cold

• Stayed August 2011