Premier Inn Birmingham City Centre (New St Station) Hotel
Ranked #2 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Barnstaple, United Kingdom
“Brilliant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

I spent a night on three separate occasions at this Premier Inn, and on each occasion I found it to be clean, quiet and friendly. Special mention should go to the restaurant staff, Kirsty, Joyce and Tracey, who were attentive and friendly and couldn't do enough for me. The breakfast was excellent and although there wasn't a buffet on two of my visits hot food could be ordered and cooked fresh. Not sure when I would go back up to Birmingham but I would definitely stay at this Premier Inn.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
  • Hungarian first
Surrey, UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

This stay went wrong when I first booked the place as I was aware that a number of people had trouble finding the hotel, and for this reason I took special care. If you go to the Premier Inn website, the map tells you it is in Pinfold Street but this is certainly not the case at all. There is no hotel belonging to anyone in this street, but then glanced the Premier Inn logo in the distance, but this turned out to be the Waterloo St one.

Arriving at the New Street hotel, you are confronted by an anonymous foyer featuring two lifts the take you up to reception on the next level up. Here I was met by a member of staff who merely pointed me in the direction of the adjacent check-in machine which gave me receipts and cardkey. The guy was there but didn't explain anything whatsoever - I even had to ask him what floor the room was on!

Then it was into the lift and this is where the fun and games began. It seems that I was not alone in knowing how to get the cardkey to operate the lifts to the room. I was then helped out by a fellow guest who made it work for me. A while later, at early evening we encountered the same problem and after a while I found myself being catapulted to Level 5 whereas my room was on Level 1. It seems another guest rooming up there had "cracked the code". At this point I was very angry and went to reception to complain, and at the same time one of the women in the lift with me did the self same thing and by now I realised that this cardkey system to operate the lift was an absolute shambles. But here I must give credit to the staff member here as he was cool and polite under pressure, and he was in complete contrast to the staff member I met upon checking in.

So now we know you have to touch the pad with your card and press the floor level *at the same time*. This is not explained sufficiently in the lift notice, and in my case not by the staff member upon arrival either. Then arriving back at the hotel around 10:30pm, another guest in front of me thought the system was not responding to their card and had to call for assistance, so this card system overall seems very user unfriendly.

As a result of all this, I was very stressed up and lay awake for several hours as a result. Not what I expect from a big-name hotel, or any hotel come to that.

This is all a shame, as the hotel itself is good in just about every other respect, although of course the breakfast is overpriced as they have a captive market. Maybe best to dine out in the evening at Cafe Rouge nearby and see if they still have the 2 for 1 full english breakfast offer on.

Room Tip: Room 120 is a corner room with windows of different aspects and for a city centre, decent views. It...
Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank clickaway54
WhitbreadHotels, Online Customer Service at Premier Inn Birmingham City Centre (New St Station) Hotel, responded to this review, 7 March 2014
Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at our hotel. At Premier Inn we always strive to provide customers with a comfortable stay, and I apologise that on this occasion you were let down by various issues with our lift system. Please be assured your comments have been noted and will be followed up with the Management Team at our hotel. Your feedback is very much appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you back to Premier Inn in the future.
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

From entering to leaving I could not fault this hotel.
It is a new hotel and everything was immaculate
Service, food and facilities And stall I could not fault.
It was right in the hub of Birmingham City Centre and beside Station

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
uk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

We stayed at the PI for a three night stay from a Thursday to a Sunday and what can I say........just perfect. Staff are so helpful and friendly especially young Ash who was so patient with us trying to print our boarding passes for our flights on the Sunday night.

Stayed on 2nd floor and room was perfect for what we wanted. Clean and bright, always hot water and the towels were nice and fluffy.

For the price we paid (£128) as we booked it when the PI had a sale on we just cant complain.

Would defo stay here again for its convenience to the trains tation and everything else you want to see in Birmingham as you can walk around the whole city with great ease.

Room Tip: ask for a room away from the lifts as you hear a constant beep if close to them
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Newport, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

Quality of room and breakfast is as you would expect from premier inn.

Very warm welcome from the staff.

Although we were in the town centre we couldn't hear any noise from the city.

At breakfast the staff couldn't do enough for us providing excellent start to the day.

Will definitely be back.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2014

Everything you need for an over night stay in Birmingham, excellent value for money and central location. The one surprise was how quiet it was despite the low price and central location, we were expecting to be woken at 3am by late night revellers but we weren't. My only criticisms were that the check in is a little odd with half being completed by a person and the other by a machine, think I would prefer one or the other. Secondly getting disturbed by house keeping before you check out from a one night stay could surely be avoided particularly when it is hours before you are due to check out. These are only minor points as for the money would still stay here in future.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Leigh-on Sea, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2014

Premier Inns are always good value but this one has the edge when it comes to staff service. The restaurant and reception staff are better than many 5 star hotels I have stayed at and this counts for a lot in my view!

My other half had an evening meal there and said it was excellent. Costa coffee and 'bikkie' half the price of Costas too!

You will have to take your own shampoo and conditioner but that's it! They provide everything else

We stayed two nights and although we had a bit of a problem the second night with noisy air conditioner, the staff dealt with it promptly, nothing was too much trouble.

I would recommend unreservedly! Excellent location too, !

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business