Premier Inn Birmingham City Centre (New St Station) Hotel
Ranked #2 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Will be back.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014

Stayed here for a couple of nights and the location is very convenient. A minute or two's walk from New Street Train station and close to many shops and places to eat. Despite its central location, it was pretty peaceful and the hotel itself was quiet despite it being a Friday & Saturday night. My friend and I had a room each on the top floor so an extensive view over the city. Each of our rooms were spotlessly clean and although almost minimalist, essentials such as hairdryer, tea-making facilities, TV, extra pillows and quality towels were provided. The bedding was obviously freshly laundered and the mattress great quality if a little too firm for me. The bathroom was a good size, filled quickly and plenty of hot water. Bliss.My friend and I booked the breakfasts and there was plenty of choice and good value for money. We also had dinner there on one of the evenings and it was very tasty, nice setting, reasonable choice and price. Brilliant as all this was, one of the things that made the stay special was the quality of the staff. The welcome and help checking in was efficient & friendly as was checking out. Our meal and drinks staff were also great but the highlight was the warmth and helpfulness of Kirsty & Joyce at breakfast time- really can't praise them highly enough, an asset to the hotel. Will definitely return.

Room Tip: Top floor rooms have extensive views over the city.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
  • Hungarian first
newton abbot
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014

We received a warm and friendly welcome at reception, in fact all the staff were welcoming. The hotel was spotless and couldn't fault it so all down to first class housekeeping. Breakfast was cooked to order on our first morning and the staff were very helpful and friendly, especially the efficent Joyce who took care of everyone from 6.30am to 7.30am on her own and appeared to love her job.
When we arrived there were workmen with pnuematic drills outside our window, but presumably due to super efficent double glazing we amazingly didn't hear a sound. Also given our room overlooked the railway station we enjoyed a peaceful night.
Would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank carole d
Athens, Greece
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2014

Excellent Downtown Location Next To New Street Rail Station, Shops And New Street. Nice Fresh Rooms With Beautiful Views. Very Quiet For Those That Want To Have A Good Nights Sleep. But Be Aware That At The Moment There Is Road Work In New Street Outside The Hotel And Some Noise Can Be Heard During The Day .

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Gloucester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2014

Great Premier Inn! Location is superb - right in the centre of the city and within easy walking distance of pretty much all the attractions.
The room was immaculate, very quiet, and the linen and towels all good quality.
Although there is no parking at the hotel, there are plenty of car parks nearby.
We would definitely book this again on another trip to the city.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Exeter, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2014

Having read fellow TA`s comments on Birmingham hotels, i booked this one and wasn't disappointed. (Thanks to the earlier reviewers who left good "how to find the place" tips, i went straight to the hotel. It's worth saying that you enter on -1 level and need to go to 0 in the lift for reception. This confused a few guests).

It's a nice, clean and modern hotel where the staff are excellent. As said in previous reviews, the breakfast staff are especially nice. The food at breakfast and dinner was very good.

Only downsides were:

that you only get 30 minutes free wifi per day, then you have to pay. Not ideal if you intend to work from the hotel.

I booked a table for the evening meal on the second night as advised (having just turned up and got a table easily for the first night). On arrival I was advised there was a 15 - 20 minute delay, so i sat and read a book. After 30 mins, I queried the delay and was shown to my table within a short time. No explanation was given, and the restaurant wasn't busy (short staffed in the kitchen I found out the next day). When seated, i did suggest that a complimentary glass of wine would be a nice gesture for the delay, and this was happily supplied. It would have been much nicer if this had been offered during the wait however!

All in all, a nice, comfy stay and somewhere I'd return to.

Room Tip: No noise of all the building works around the outside of the hote heard, so guess each room is quie...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Barnstaple, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

I spent a night on three separate occasions at this Premier Inn, and on each occasion I found it to be clean, quiet and friendly. Special mention should go to the restaurant staff, Kirsty, Joyce and Tracey, who were attentive and friendly and couldn't do enough for me. The breakfast was excellent and although there wasn't a buffet on two of my visits hot food could be ordered and cooked fresh. Not sure when I would go back up to Birmingham but I would definitely stay at this Premier Inn.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Surrey, UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

This stay went wrong when I first booked the place as I was aware that a number of people had trouble finding the hotel, and for this reason I took special care. If you go to the Premier Inn website, the map tells you it is in Pinfold Street but this is certainly not the case at all. There is no hotel belonging to anyone in this street, but then glanced the Premier Inn logo in the distance, but this turned out to be the Waterloo St one.

Arriving at the New Street hotel, you are confronted by an anonymous foyer featuring two lifts the take you up to reception on the next level up. Here I was met by a member of staff who merely pointed me in the direction of the adjacent check-in machine which gave me receipts and cardkey. The guy was there but didn't explain anything whatsoever - I even had to ask him what floor the room was on!

Then it was into the lift and this is where the fun and games began. It seems that I was not alone in knowing how to get the cardkey to operate the lifts to the room. I was then helped out by a fellow guest who made it work for me. A while later, at early evening we encountered the same problem and after a while I found myself being catapulted to Level 5 whereas my room was on Level 1. It seems another guest rooming up there had "cracked the code". At this point I was very angry and went to reception to complain, and at the same time one of the women in the lift with me did the self same thing and by now I realised that this cardkey system to operate the lift was an absolute shambles. But here I must give credit to the staff member here as he was cool and polite under pressure, and he was in complete contrast to the staff member I met upon checking in.

So now we know you have to touch the pad with your card and press the floor level *at the same time*. This is not explained sufficiently in the lift notice, and in my case not by the staff member upon arrival either. Then arriving back at the hotel around 10:30pm, another guest in front of me thought the system was not responding to their card and had to call for assistance, so this card system overall seems very user unfriendly.

As a result of all this, I was very stressed up and lay awake for several hours as a result. Not what I expect from a big-name hotel, or any hotel come to that.

This is all a shame, as the hotel itself is good in just about every other respect, although of course the breakfast is overpriced as they have a captive market. Maybe best to dine out in the evening at Cafe Rouge nearby and see if they still have the 2 for 1 full english breakfast offer on.

Room Tip: Room 120 is a corner room with windows of different aspects and for a city centre, decent views. It...
Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank clickaway54
WhitbreadHotels, Online Customer Service at Premier Inn Birmingham City Centre (New St Station) Hotel, responded to this review, 7 March 2014
Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at our hotel. At Premier Inn we always strive to provide customers with a comfortable stay, and I apologise that on this occasion you were let down by various issues with our lift system. Please be assured your comments have been noted and will be followed up with the Management Team at our hotel. Your feedback is very much appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you back to Premier Inn in the future.