Premier Inn Birmingham City Centre (New St Station) Hotel
Ranked #3 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

Very good location just 2 minutes from the train , clean, quiet and comfortable. Breakfast was lovely with plenty of choice and a special thank you to Joyce for excellent service. We were in room 601 with good views and would recommend a higher floor as they have the best outlook.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 22 March 2014

I stayed at the hotel last night for the first time although I am a regular user of Premier Inn. I arrived by train and asked for directions at the station information desk and was at the hotel within minutes.

As previously mentioned in other reviews, the ambiance on the ground floor is pretty shabby but when you go to the reception things get better. However, personally I would prefer a human to welcome me rather than a machine.

On this occasion there was a member of staff in reception who was very helpful, but although she explained the card key and the lift it didn’t work for me and it was another guest who helped me to understand how the card key worked.

Premier Inn a simple remedy would be to place an insert into the card folder explaining how the key card worked.

My room was 210 and whilst the room was excellent as usual I had a serious concern that the window did not open. Should there be a fire I would have only one exit route and would be unable to call for help.

I was kept awake by the noisy fire door and the pinging of the lift alarm every time it arrived at the floor.

The rooms do not have telephones and so contacting the emergency services would be difficult, I could not set an alarm call, I was unable to contact reception and was unable to make any personal phone calls.

I booked a table in the restaurant which was sensible because the local area did appear a little rough and the restaurant looked good.

I ordered a bottle of wine which after a long wait eventually arrived, but the screw top had not been removed and I was not invited to taste the wine. I know that this is a value for money hotel, but these are basic expectations. However, I must say that drinks are reasonably priced, especially wine.

As a non-meat eater the restaurant menu is limited and I found the food to be somewhat disappointing, but maybe I was expecting too much. I have frequently stayed at the West Bromwich Central Premier Inn and the restaurant there is really is superb.

I went to bed reasonably early because I was working the next day………………..but at 05.00 the fire alarm was activated………because somebody was smoking on the 6th floor!!!!!!!!!
There must have been around 700 people staying in the hotel who had to spend around 45 minutes outside in the cold because of some irresponsible guest. The two night security staff deserve a special mention because they had the situation in hand from the start and kept us informed and up to date on developments as and when they occurred.

Managing 700 angry guests at 05.00 is no easy task but they kept their calm and were extremely courteous. Well done!

As I stood in the dark cold night I saw guests with babies in their arms, people who had been very scared by the incident and guests like me who were just very annoyed.

If the person that set off the alarm with their smoking reads this review I hope that they feel thoroughly ashamed and embarrassed by their behaviour and the disruption that they caused to a large number of guests last night.

This was not the fault of Premier Inn….just some stupid immature guest who thought that they could smoke in their room even thought there was a very polite notice asking them not to do so because of the sensitive alarms.

They should write an apology on this site saying that they realise that what they did was immature, irresponsible and very annoying for other guests.

This morning I was very impressed that a member of staff was in reception and offered me a no quibble refund of my stay. Well done Premier Inn.

Premier Inn must have lost a huge amount of income as a result of somebody’s irresponsible behaviour………this really is not acceptable………….if it was you…….own up, apologise and make sure that you never do something as irresponsible as this again!

YOU ARE A DISGRACE!

Well done Premier Inn……………….keep up the good work!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank Sandyman53
Reviewed 22 March 2014

I have stayed in a number of Premier Inns. Almost without exception they offer excellent value. What makes this one particularly good are the efficient and friendly staff. The hotel is very clean and appears to be relatively new. Don’t be put off by its central location –it is remarkably quiet.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank farthingate
Reviewed 22 March 2014 via mobile

This hotel is in an ideal location and is surprisingly quiet, it was also spotlessly clean with friendly staff.

We ate in the Thyme restaurant one night and this was pleasant - decent quality food at a reasonable price.

However, on the second night of our stay the hotel was evacuated in the early hours of the morning. There was a complete lack of organisation - only one member of staff to deal with all the guests in the hotel.

Noone ever gave us any explanation as to what had actually happened. Will be interesting to see if they stick to their word in regards to the 'good night guarantee' and refund us for the night in question.

• Stayed: March 2014
2  Thank SG0788
Reviewed 21 March 2014

Visited in March 2014 for a 2 night stay.
Lovely room, spotlessly clean.
Had full English breakfast both mornings, very good, nothing was too much trouble for the staff. Kirsty was lovely to chat to!!
Fantastic location, a stones throw away from New St train station and the Bullring shopping centre.
Would 100% recommend and will most definitely return in the future.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jojo1969
Reviewed 20 March 2014

This great place was perfect for us. We wanted a place where we could access the train and our venue at walking distance. At first we thought we were lost but we managed to find it after we came out the building.

Spoke to two staff members and they were both brilliant giving us directions to the O2 academy and also a great restaurant called Miller and Carter

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jonathan S
Reviewed 18 March 2014

We stayed here for one night, and without realising it, has chosen one of Birmingham's busiest days, with the huge St Patrick's Day parade taking place. Despite all this, and the noise and disruption from the rebuilding of the station and its precincts, the hotel was an oasis of calm and serenity. There was very little noise from outside and at night there was none.
The staff, as we almost always find at Premier Inns, were helpful and pleasant.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends