“Safe & Sound but in the Centre of Everything”

Staybridge Suites Birmingham
Ranked #3 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
GreenLeadersBronze level
Cotswolds
“Safe & Sound but in the Centre of Everything”
Reviewed 28 April 2014

When we made our booking for the nights of 14 & 15th April, Jacqueline was our first point of contact. What a lovely lady, so helpful and willing to help on anything we asked. She even sent me some details of a Thai restaurant we could eat at prior to going to the Hippodrome to see Evita.
We followed her directions from New Street Station, which was actually a 5 minute walk - perfectly located in the city centre meaning everything was in easy reach.
Jacqueline was on reception when we checked in. Once again she dealt with everything quickly and efficiently and was very friendly and helpful. All of the other staff we met was very helpful and polite.
The apartment was perfect. Fridge and microwave and all kitchen utensils you might need. The bedroom had a double bed and a TV and there were plenty of sockets for charging the inevitable gadgets we'd brought. WiFi access was free. There was air-conditioning with its own control but I couldn’t get it to go below 20 C. Our room was a little too warm at night so it was off with the covers!
You had Comfort and Convenience, proximity to shops/restaurant / china town Jewelry quarter & theater.
Breakfast is basic but is of reasonable quality and complimentary.
Would recommend this hotel without hesitation and will definitely return if staying in Birmingham again.
We used the following restaurants: Le Truc for our pre theatre meal and Cote in The Mailbox on our last evening. Both were really enjoyable.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jimlad69
Daniel Y, Guest Services Manager at Staybridge Suites Birmingham, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave such a positive review on your recent stay with us. It's great to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. I will be sure to pass on your comments to Jacqueline as it's always nice to hear the Guest Services team are making you feel welcome! We look forward to seeing you again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
A Hillside In Wales
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Lots of good things: extremely clean everywhere, the bath was the best I've seen in an hotel in years, deep and wide and great for soaking (I don't believe every room has a tub) towels were wrap-around and comforting.

Very helpful staff but under-prepared for helping disabled visitors, they need more information to hand and they need to understand that telling somebody with mobility problems that the car park is "only about a 7 minute walk away" is NOT helpful! 'Jacqueline' deserves a special mention for being so helpful but disability awareness training is needed by everybody.

The fact that Birmingham streets are currently (April 2014) being dug-up at an alarming rate and it is impossible to get a car near to park, or even drop somebody off, meant the visit was something of a nightmare for me; a not-so-young, mobility impaired, seasoned traveller.

The kitchen was reasonably equipped but I'm not tall and could not reach anything in the wall cupboards (I had my husband with me, I'm sure staff would have helped me if I'd been alone) and I found the white/cream/brown decor everywhere decidedly depressing.

There is no bar, no restaurant, just a vending area with ready-meals you can take up to your room and microwave (if you can reach the microwave!)

If you are happy with clinical decor and like the facilities of an apartotel with none of the comforts of a 'proper' hotel this would be great but if you want the ambiance and facilities of an hotel then you won't be happy here.

I can't fault The Staybridge Suites, I just can't get enthusiastic about them. Had I been staying for work purposes I would have been less disappointed but it was a leisure break and somewhere more exciting would have been better.

Some tips: To the not-so-fit : make sure you take luggage on wheels, you might find yourself with quite a walk from your drop-off point. To drivers : I had 2 SatNavs with me, both took me quite some way away when I used the post-code. A better address might be House of Fraser, my SatNav took me to the back, the front actually faces Staybridge - but there isn't any parking at the front or the back so getting an address for a convenient car-park and aiming for that would be a good idea.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on your recent stay with us. It's great to hear that Jacqueline made you feel welcome, but I will sure to pass on your comments to management regarding further training. All comments and suggestions will be taken on board to further improve the service we offer to all of our guests. We look forward to welcoming you again.
Swindon
Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

Have just come back from staying 2nights in these suites what a fabulous place ....so easy to get to from New Street station, very friendly staff nothing too much trouble for them, the suites are well equipped with all that you need. This is the best place I have stayed in for a long time, very clean, lovely atmosphere, Tescos and Sainsbuys nearby and even Poundland!!!!!

Stayed April 2014
4 Thank Fizz09
Thank you for your review. It's great to hear you enjoyed your stay and will be sure to pass on your comments to the Guest Services team. We look forward to seeing you again!
Camberley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Located less than 5 minutes walk from New Street train station and close to small Sainsbury's & Tesco's - which is perfect as you have the kitchenette in the room, but more about that later...

It's very easy to find, on Corporation Street - flanked by two Poundland stores. There is McDonalds, KFC, Greggs and various other take-away places on the doorstep. And nearby, Temple Row and New Street (as well as by the Bullring) are more upmarket eateries. So there's no shortage of places to grab a snack or purchase food to cook yourself.

On arrival: I was greeted by a very friendly receptionist and I was impressed with the communal/breakfast area. There's also a small store where you can buy snacks and even things to cook.

My room is on the top (12th floor), with amazing views. A great size - as well as the double bed, there was room for another, which has a single seat in. A large HD flat-screen TV, a nice bathroom with cubicle and large relaxing shower-head.

Very clean, spacious and the kitchen area was well quipped: fridge, 2 hob stove top, utensils, cutlery and bowls/mugs/plates/glasses, toaster, kettle, microwave/oven* and a small amount of coffee and tea. There is also washing up materials and liquid. There's also very good air-conditioning, which works well. There is an ironing board and iron and plenty of storage space.

Even though you have a kitchen, breakfast is included - which I think is a very nice touch. This includes numerous pastries, breads, hot items (meat, beans and an egg product), cereals, fruit, juices, tea, coffee, water, hot and cold milk and more. Very decent spread.

They also do a "meet" evening Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday - which is an amazing touch. They put out nibbles (cheese, crackers, bread, crisps, meat, soft drinks, wine and spirits & more) and have a couple of "hosts" - who are friendly and welcoming.

Now, there are only 4 negatives - three of which are ridiculously simple to sort out:

1. no salt and pepper in the salt and pepper pots (in room). It's a self-contained kitchenette granted, but people do stay there for a night or two - who is going to pop out and buy these to fill up for a night or two.

*2. Microwave/oven/grill - no instructions! Or so I thought... On speaking to the host at an evening meet I pointed this out, only to be told they are above it, in a cupboard. This is over head height and I never even thought to look inside. On getting back to my room I did. Couldn't see anything, so felt around. A flat piece of paper, not in view in a cupboard unlikely to be used - unless you lived there for any period of time. There was however IN the microwave a cardboard sign saying it does more than one thing...

3. Wi-Fi was very slow and I only ever had 2 - 3 bars. Boosters would be appreciated.

4. The difficult one. Took an eternity to get cold water out of the kitchen/drinking tap. But I'm assuming that's due to being on the top floor. And I mean a good five minutes plus.

If they could iron out these issues they would be onto an absolute 5/5 from me.

But I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again, and will try and book again in future if price is within budget. Recommended!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank r0ckst4r
Daniel Y, Guest Services Manager at Staybridge Suites Birmingham, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave such a positive review on your recent stay with us. We love it when guests go into detail, as it gives TripAdvisor users a better insight into what it is like to stay in our hotel. We will certainly be looking into the issues you mentioned to help us further improve the Guest Experience. We look forward to seeing you again!
Grantham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed for two nights in this hotel, the rooms are spacious and very comfortable, the staff could not be more welcoming and helpful. The complimentary breakfast is a great touch. The whole hotel felt very relaxed and informal which really suited us.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank emma g
Thank you for your review. I will be sure to pass your comments onto Nick. It's great to hear you stayed in one of our Two-Bedroom Suites with your family. Please note that the late-checkout as an IHG Rewards Club member is 'subject to availability', however there is very rarely an occasion where we are unable to honour this. Thanks again and we look forward to seeing you soon.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Thank you Nick at Staybridge and all the staff for making our weekend effortless. Suites were clean, well equipped, quiet and the hotel breakfast was good. Only downside was the fire alarm that went off late evening. We stayed in McD's as it was cold outside and waited for the fire brigade to give the all clear. We had an issue with the car park charges which though we validated our ticket at the hotel, still kept charging us the full price. We pressed the attendant button and waited for some help and eventually we were charged £16 for the special reduced price agreed with the hotel. All in all, a good weekend. Hotel is central and you can walk everywhere in the city with huge numbers of pubs, shops, restaurants and take aways on your doorstep. We did a canal boat ride with the kids and spent the day along the canal and had a drink at the Pitcher and Piano. Went to the Thai restaurant, Kinaree, opposite the Mailbox for dinner, again this was good. Did some shopping and spent time chilling in the hotel den as the kids could play. The hotel as such, offered no kids activities but there were plenty of things close by in the city to do.

Room Tip: If you want extra space pay for a suite, we had a two bed and kids slept on the sofa bed in the loun...