“Worth the expense”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Worth the expense”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

I stayed here for the first time last week. Having been to Birmingham a handful of times before, I had a rough idea of where I was going. Or so I thought. My poor sense of direction aside, this wasn't easy to spot (as I'd previously read on another TripAdvisor review). Staybridge suites is located on a newly pedestrianised street (so don't count on a taxi being able to take you door/station to door), opposite House Of Fraser. As I discovered after schlepping around town, New Street station is literally down the road (out of the hotel, turn left & keep going until you're inside a passageway of sorts, which leads you into the Bullring & New Street station depending which door you take upon entering said passageway).

Enough of my waffling.

Staybridge Suites are pretty well located which was exactly what I wanted. Great.
When I arrived at the hotel & had found my way into the lift to Level 2 & the reception desk, I was greeted by smiley, friendly reception staff who were happy to help. (Apologies for not checking your name badge, but to the young blonde girl that greeted me & checked me in, you were very welcoming, thank you!). Checking in at some hotels I've found to be a chore, but a signature here, a key card there & I was back in the lift, on my way to the TENTH floor of twelve. If you've a fear of heights, stay elsewhere. (Yes, of course they have lower floors, but what's the point!?).

I stayed in a one bedroom suite which felt like an apartment in miniature. It was a lovely suite with everything you could possibly need (including tea towels, washing up liquid & a detergent tablet for the dishwasher. Yes, I said dishwasher!), however long you intended to stay. I read some reviews before booking, so I knew where to find the manual for the microwave and I did need it! If you don't plan to cook, there is a Sainsburys around the corner but it is only a small store. And of course, there are countless restaurants city-wide too.
What else is there to say about the room other than it was spotlessly clean, the bed was REALLY comfortable, the curtains are total blackout (perfect!) and there was even a sofa bed which you could use to have guests over if you so wished.....I don't know ANY other hotels that would bring you additional bedding for the sofa bed so you can invite guests to stay with you.

The hotel has a pantry service located next to the recreation so you're able to buy food & drink 24 hours a day. I did take a look & found the selection somewhat limited but I didn't make a purchase so cannot comment on price. Price lists for the pantry are available from the reception desk, however they're behind the desk meaning you need to ask for one.

As I mentioned before, I don't have the best sense of direction & needed some help finding the Hippodrome. The (same blonde) reception staff & someone I took to be her manager/supervisor helped me out by giving me a map, noting my route while I wrote down their directions. Well, thank you to those staff, I found my way there & safely back again without getting lost!
Upon checking out in the morning, staff again we're friendly & helpful but a little slow....I had a train to catch you know! ;). While checking out, the manager/supervisor who helped give me directions the evening before arrived and greeted me, appearing to recognise me....when people remember (or appear to recognise) those they've met it makes the service feel much warmer & I know I'd be more likely to return. So that's an A* for customer service!

Many thanks, I know I'll be returning some day!

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor, the views of the city are great. The suites are worth the extra money.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank MegG360
Daniel Y, Guest Services Manager at Staybridge Suites Birmingham, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Thank you for your detailed and positive review. We appreciate you taking the time to go into detail as it gives TripAdvisor readers a better insight into what it's like to stay with us. I will be sure to pass all of your comments onto the relevant departments. We look forward to seeing you again!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights recently whilst on business in Birmingham recently.
Was in suite 1101 on 11th floor - there are no such thing as just rooms here.
Suite was spacious, contemporary, well equipped and spotlessly clean.
Sleeping, living and cooking areas and wet room.

No restaurant or bars - they have a living room, pantry, den etc as they want to make it more like home. When you first enter lobby to get lift to reception, you think there is nothing further detached from home but when you settle and understand the concept, you realise it has all the amenities of home and more.

Staff pleasant and efficient (particularly army of cleaners) when marching to thier duties with zeal and enthusiasm. Free hot drinks in pantry 24/7 and 24/7 fridges (at reception) if you fancy a snack or cold/alchoholic drink.

Centrally located - 3.5 min walk from Birmingham New Street, 1.5 min from Temple Court (Would recommend hotel website put some simple directions by foot from station on website) with easy access to shops, bars and restaurants.

Welcome drinks/nibbles on the Tue/Wed is a great idea (especially for a single traveller) who can often feel isolated at city centre hotels.

I really love this concept and the quality of provision and I will be returning and using the Newcastle & London sister hotels when I next do business there.

Thoroughly recommend. Well done to all the team.

Room Tip: I had a disabled room on 11th floor with wet room. No problems and presume all are as spacious and...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank alextsUK
Daniel Y, Guest Services Manager at Staybridge Suites Birmingham, responded to this review, 4 May 2014
Thank you for your review. It's great to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and that you like the "Home from home" feel that Staybridge Suites tries to portray. This is the first time our housekeepers have had a mention on TripAdvisor too, so I will be sure to pass on your positive comments! We look forward to seeing you again.
Solihull, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

Stayed here for the third time on Friday 25th April. This is a perfect venue for all the City Centre restaurants,nightclubs and ALL the shops!! Mr Chris Falcus the hotels GM has git his team working perfectly to ensure that you have an enjoyable stay, the rooms are spacious and spotlessly clean, we always used to frequent the Crowne Plaza but we now use this brilliant hotel instead. Keep the good work going!! We will return again very soon!!

• Stayed April 2014
Dear PAButo, thank you for your review. It's great to hear you were impressed by our hotel and that you were made to feel welcome by the team. We look forward to seeing you again!
Cotswolds
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

When we made our booking for the nights of 14 & 15th April, Jacqueline was our first point of contact. What a lovely lady, so helpful and willing to help on anything we asked. She even sent me some details of a Thai restaurant we could eat at prior to going to the Hippodrome to see Evita.
We followed her directions from New Street Station, which was actually a 5 minute walk - perfectly located in the city centre meaning everything was in easy reach.
Jacqueline was on reception when we checked in. Once again she dealt with everything quickly and efficiently and was very friendly and helpful. All of the other staff we met was very helpful and polite.
The apartment was perfect. Fridge and microwave and all kitchen utensils you might need. The bedroom had a double bed and a TV and there were plenty of sockets for charging the inevitable gadgets we'd brought. WiFi access was free. There was air-conditioning with its own control but I couldn’t get it to go below 20 C. Our room was a little too warm at night so it was off with the covers!
You had Comfort and Convenience, proximity to shops/restaurant / china town Jewelry quarter & theater.
Breakfast is basic but is of reasonable quality and complimentary.
Would recommend this hotel without hesitation and will definitely return if staying in Birmingham again.
We used the following restaurants: Le Truc for our pre theatre meal and Cote in The Mailbox on our last evening. Both were really enjoyable.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jimlad69
Daniel Y, Guest Services Manager at Staybridge Suites Birmingham, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave such a positive review on your recent stay with us. It's great to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. I will be sure to pass on your comments to Jacqueline as it's always nice to hear the Guest Services team are making you feel welcome! We look forward to seeing you again.
A Hillside In Wales
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

Lots of good things: extremely clean everywhere, the bath was the best I've seen in an hotel in years, deep and wide and great for soaking (I don't believe every room has a tub) towels were wrap-around and comforting.

Very helpful staff but under-prepared for helping disabled visitors, they need more information to hand and they need to understand that telling somebody with mobility problems that the car park is "only about a 7 minute walk away" is NOT helpful! 'Jacqueline' deserves a special mention for being so helpful but disability awareness training is needed by everybody.

The fact that Birmingham streets are currently (April 2014) being dug-up at an alarming rate and it is impossible to get a car near to park, or even drop somebody off, meant the visit was something of a nightmare for me; a not-so-young, mobility impaired, seasoned traveller.

The kitchen was reasonably equipped but I'm not tall and could not reach anything in the wall cupboards (I had my husband with me, I'm sure staff would have helped me if I'd been alone) and I found the white/cream/brown decor everywhere decidedly depressing.

There is no bar, no restaurant, just a vending area with ready-meals you can take up to your room and microwave (if you can reach the microwave!)

If you are happy with clinical decor and like the facilities of an apartotel with none of the comforts of a 'proper' hotel this would be great but if you want the ambiance and facilities of an hotel then you won't be happy here.

I can't fault The Staybridge Suites, I just can't get enthusiastic about them. Had I been staying for work purposes I would have been less disappointed but it was a leisure break and somewhere more exciting would have been better.

Some tips: To the not-so-fit : make sure you take luggage on wheels, you might find yourself with quite a walk from your drop-off point. To drivers : I had 2 SatNavs with me, both took me quite some way away when I used the post-code. A better address might be House of Fraser, my SatNav took me to the back, the front actually faces Staybridge - but there isn't any parking at the front or the back so getting an address for a convenient car-park and aiming for that would be a good idea.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on your recent stay with us. It's great to hear that Jacqueline made you feel welcome, but I will sure to pass on your comments to management regarding further training. All comments and suggestions will be taken on board to further improve the service we offer to all of our guests. We look forward to welcoming you again.
Swindon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

Have just come back from staying 2nights in these suites what a fabulous place ....so easy to get to from New Street station, very friendly staff nothing too much trouble for them, the suites are well equipped with all that you need. This is the best place I have stayed in for a long time, very clean, lovely atmosphere, Tescos and Sainsbuys nearby and even Poundland!!!!!

Stayed April 2014
4 Thank Fizz09
Thank you for your review. It's great to hear you enjoyed your stay and will be sure to pass on your comments to the Guest Services team. We look forward to seeing you again!
Camberley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014

Located less than 5 minutes walk from New Street train station and close to small Sainsbury's & Tesco's - which is perfect as you have the kitchenette in the room, but more about that later...

It's very easy to find, on Corporation Street - flanked by two Poundland stores. There is McDonalds, KFC, Greggs and various other take-away places on the doorstep. And nearby, Temple Row and New Street (as well as by the Bullring) are more upmarket eateries. So there's no shortage of places to grab a snack or purchase food to cook yourself.

On arrival: I was greeted by a very friendly receptionist and I was impressed with the communal/breakfast area. There's also a small store where you can buy snacks and even things to cook.

My room is on the top (12th floor), with amazing views. A great size - as well as the double bed, there was room for another, which has a single seat in. A large HD flat-screen TV, a nice bathroom with cubicle and large relaxing shower-head.

Very clean, spacious and the kitchen area was well quipped: fridge, 2 hob stove top, utensils, cutlery and bowls/mugs/plates/glasses, toaster, kettle, microwave/oven* and a small amount of coffee and tea. There is also washing up materials and liquid. There's also very good air-conditioning, which works well. There is an ironing board and iron and plenty of storage space.

Even though you have a kitchen, breakfast is included - which I think is a very nice touch. This includes numerous pastries, breads, hot items (meat, beans and an egg product), cereals, fruit, juices, tea, coffee, water, hot and cold milk and more. Very decent spread.

They also do a "meet" evening Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday - which is an amazing touch. They put out nibbles (cheese, crackers, bread, crisps, meat, soft drinks, wine and spirits & more) and have a couple of "hosts" - who are friendly and welcoming.

Now, there are only 4 negatives - three of which are ridiculously simple to sort out:

1. no salt and pepper in the salt and pepper pots (in room). It's a self-contained kitchenette granted, but people do stay there for a night or two - who is going to pop out and buy these to fill up for a night or two.

*2. Microwave/oven/grill - no instructions! Or so I thought... On speaking to the host at an evening meet I pointed this out, only to be told they are above it, in a cupboard. This is over head height and I never even thought to look inside. On getting back to my room I did. Couldn't see anything, so felt around. A flat piece of paper, not in view in a cupboard unlikely to be used - unless you lived there for any period of time. There was however IN the microwave a cardboard sign saying it does more than one thing...

3. Wi-Fi was very slow and I only ever had 2 - 3 bars. Boosters would be appreciated.

4. The difficult one. Took an eternity to get cold water out of the kitchen/drinking tap. But I'm assuming that's due to being on the top floor. And I mean a good five minutes plus.

If they could iron out these issues they would be onto an absolute 5/5 from me.

But I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again, and will try and book again in future if price is within budget. Recommended!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank r0ckst4r
Daniel Y, Guest Services Manager at Staybridge Suites Birmingham, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave such a positive review on your recent stay with us. We love it when guests go into detail, as it gives TripAdvisor users a better insight into what it is like to stay in our hotel. We will certainly be looking into the issues you mentioned to help us further improve the Guest Experience. We look forward to seeing you again!