“Good in most areas but a few niggles”

Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham
Ranked #72 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Manchester, United Kingdom
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,313 helpful votes
“Good in most areas but a few niggles”
Reviewed 16 December 2011

I stayed here to attend an event hosed by a client. The hotel was fairly good in most areas and the bed was very comfortable although the soft furnishings in the room were past their best. The main negative point was, I was with a number of clients and colleagues and after the event had finished (this was in a private suite) some of us made our way to the residents bar for a late drink. When we arrived, the bar area was open but there was only one member of staff who was on the front desk. We asked politely where we could get a drink and was told the bar was closed and the only way a guest could have a drink was to go to their room and order room service or use the mini bar. Now I can understand this in a small hotel or in a quiet town but we were supposed to be in a 4 star international chain hotel in Britain's second city. Every other hotel of a similar standard I have stayed at usually allows residents to have drinks in the bar area, maybe served by the night porter but this kind of put a dampener on the evening and especially considering my client had spent thousands of pounds with the hotel on their event earlier in the evening and the number of guests attending the event gave the hotel thousands of pounds more in accommodation revenue.

5 Thank Mikeo111
sarah_duffield, Front Office Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham, responded to this review, 19 December 2011
Dear Sir,

Thank you for your recent visit with us - I hope that you enjoyed the event you attended and that you are now ready to relax and enjoy the Festive Season.

After reading your review, I am sorry to hear that it was some what difficuit to get a drink, we normally say for guests staying in house to leave the bar area open until around 2am, would yu be so kind to provide me with more details? I would definately agree that service should of been available to you being a resident with us.

I have left my details below, and hope that you make contact so that we can discuss this further
Have a great week.

Sarah.Duffield@Radissonblu.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (483)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Sunderland, UK
Reviewed 14 December 2011

Radisson are excellent for room value and they've proved it with this hotel. Ideally placed and excellent room prices at around £73.The free wireless internet is excellent although higher rooms do get a poor reception, however Ethernet your way to guarentee a usable connection.

My only complaints were the Spa which had a tiny gym and the drinks, which came to £4.80 a pint. The service at the bar is quite poor and they even ran out of draft beer in the afternoon?

Dear Sir,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us here at the Radisson Blu - Im glad to see that you found our accommodation prices competitive and will pass your feedback onto our food & beverage manager with regards to the prices of beer, we are always reviewing our menus and looking at this from our customers perspective so thank you for sharing your opinion with us
I hope that you will get back in touch next time you are visiting Birmingham, please do get in contact so that we can ensure you receive the best possible service and guest care.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Contact number: +44 121 654 6000
Leicester
Reviewed 14 December 2011

I used to like staying at the Raddisson, the bling factor of this Hotel is obvious; The outside of the building is impressive, so it the professional, helpful service at reception. The rooms too, with the floor to ceiling windows and stylish room design are excellent. But where all of this is let down increasingly as time goes on is that the rooms are looking increasingly tired.
Scuff marks appearing on the walls over time I can ignore to a degree but the last time I stayed there I ended up picking hairs off of the throw that they put over the bottom of the bed for half an hour and another half an hour scraping 'something' that was stuck in the carpet at various location in the room becuase I didn't want my guest who was arriving later to see this.

These are very small failures but they take the edge of what should be a special occation and if I want to impress someone, the Raddisson is sadly no-longer my choice

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
Dear Sir/Madame,

I would like to thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay here with us in Birmingham. I do apologise for any housekeeping issues which you experienced during your stay, this is clearly not acceptable and not inherent of our usually excellent standards of accommodation and care.

May I ask you to provide me with further details if you have a moment, it is useful for us to investigate further into the matter and action accordingly. I have left my details below and hope to hear from you soon.

Until then, have a great Christmas and thank you once again for your review and time.

Rooms Divisiom Manager
Contact number: +44 121 654 6000
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 December 2011

Really good clean hotel. Its in a great location for Birmingham city centre and a short walk from New Street station. The hotel staff were friendly and efficient and tried to get 4 colleagues on the same floor.

The room was a really good size, clean and modern. Really don't have a bad word to say about it. Only thing is that the bar was understaffed at a really busy time but again the barmaid was really friendly and apologised for our wait.

Room Tip: the wind was a little bothersome so try to ask for a room on a lower floor to reduce the noise
Dear Sir,

Thank you for spending the time to put your experience with us in writing! I am glad that you found the room comfortable and your were happy with the service which you received, I will be sure to share your kind comments onto the bar staff as well as addressing the staffing to our food & beverage manager.

Please do get in touch with us again when you are in Birmingham! Have a great Christmas, and a happy new year from all the staff at Radisson Blu!

limavadyuk
Reviewed 5 December 2011

my wife and i stayed at this hotel last w/end 2/12 /11 to 4/12/11 .
the location is in the city centre of birmingham , we arrived by rail from birmingham airport so you will
arrive at birmigham new station . the hotel is a short walk from the train station .
on arrival at the hotel , check in was very swift with really pleasant and friendly check in staff . we asked for a room on the upper floors of the hotel which was no bother we got a room on the 17th floor .
the rooms are well appointed with a king size bed which was really comfortable . the bathroom was well finished with a powerful shower unit , rooms have a well stocked bar . breakfast is a self service buffet ,which i had tea + toast and cornflakes then a fry .what a start to the day .i will be back in birmingham again shortly and this is the hotel we will be staying .

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank desi3
sarah_duffield, Front Office Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham, responded to this review, 12 December 2011
Dear Sir,

I would like to thank you for your recent feedback - Its great to hear you and your wife enjoyed your stay, and Im sure the hotel staff will be really happy to see such great comments which you have kindly left!

Well, until next time, Merry Christmas, and we are looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Email: Sarah.Duffield@Radissonblu.com
Yorkshire
Reviewed 4 December 2011

Two night stay with breakfast. Nothing to fault in any way.
The staff were very helpful.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Sir/Madame,

Thank you so much for your kind comments! I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us, We are looking forward to hosting you again in the furture.

Email: Sarah.Duffield@Radissonblu.com
Sheffield, UK
Reviewed 4 December 2011

I have stayed at this hotel quite a few times and I am happy and would gladly stay again. It is a bussiness hotel in the city centre and is really everything you would expect from a Radisson.

The only comment I would make is to warn future guests about the slippery nature of the bathtub after a shower. There are no mats for use to avoid slipping and this is a real risk as has happened to me. You need to be very careful once you have finished your shower.

1 Thank md1mm
Dear Sir/Madame,

Thank you for your recent feedback, I do hope you enjoyed your stay with us.

In regards to our baths, they are all provided with Anti Slip survives, also mats upon request. Taking into consideration your stay, it would be useful if you would be so kind to provide me with your full details and room number so that we can look into the particular room you stayed further.

I do hope you will be in touch next time you are staying in the city, hope to hear from you soon.

Email: Sarah.Duffield@radissonblu.com