“A second stay, a second chance, a second opinion.”

Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham
Ranked #74 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Chester, United Kingdom
“A second stay, a second chance, a second opinion.”
Reviewed 18 October 2012

After an unfortunate stay in Spring 2012, I gave the hotel a 2nd chance after correspondence from the management.
This was a completely different experience. I was allocated an excellent room on the 16th floor with an amazing view over the second city.
My first experience was of a 'smoking room' with rattling noises... this was in a different class!
We ate in the hotel restaurant in the evening and breakfast the following day. Both meals were excellent. The staff were also trained to the highest standard.
The location is idea - close to New Street Station.
I must compliment the staff in sticking to the 100pc guarantee. The second stay was wonderful.
Thanks

Room Tip: Be choosy about your room. There are some excellent rooms... but also some I wouldn't want.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
sarah_duffield, Rooms Division Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham, responded to this review, 21 October 2012
Dear sir,

Thank you so much for rating us on trip advisor, I'm glad that this time around we managed to turn things around and show you our Yes I can! Service. I hope that you will consider us again after your second experience, we look forward to hearing from you again.

Thank you for giving us another oppurtunity, have a great week.

DD: 0121 654 6010

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (476)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 18 October 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for 1 night on a business trip. The room was large with brightly coloured decor and the bed was really comfortable.. There are floor to ceiling windows in the rooms with great views of the city from thr higher floors.. The hotel is situated about 5 / 10 mins walk to the rear entrance of New Street station. If you travel by car then there is no parking at the hotel and the nearest car park is the NCP Albany car park on St Jude's Passage just around the corner. The cost is £20 for 6 to 24 hours but if you pay your parking at reception on checkout then there is a subsidised charge and I paid £14. This was not offered when I checked out though and I had to ask for it ..
The breakfast was buffet style and the bacon wasn't too hot so not sure how long it had been standing but a reasonable selection of cheeses, meats and fruit. There seems to be only 1 toaster which holds 4 slices and is quite slow. I went down for breakfast quite early so not a problem but there seemed to be a queue building as the restaurant got busier.
Reception is busy and you need to be prepared to wait a while at busy checkout times.
I would stay here again if on business in the area.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank JackieH49
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 October 2012

Room was stylish, floor to ceiling windows with a great view of the city from the 14th floor. The facilities were excellent, all clean and everything one could want. The bed was extremely comfortable and big with fab lighting. Bathroom and toiletries wonderful. Breakfast was great one minor point is that there didn't appear to be anyone to cook one of the eggs on display..(I opted for the scrambled in the absence of a chef) . The staff were flawless and the approach to service was exemplary. As I checked out I mentioned that there was a problem in the room with the 'Nespresso' machine and the receptionist immediately said that she was really sorry, that it would be fixed, thanked me for alerting them and then offered me coffee there and then. I didn't accept but I was impressed with that approach. Thank you for a lovely stay, we will be back.

Dear Carla,

I am very happy to read your stay went well, we strive for Yes I Can! Service here and that's what it's all about, creating a great experience for our guests!

Please give me or the team a call when your next In town and we will take good care of you again upon your next visit.

Have a easy week.

Milton Keynes
Reviewed 16 October 2012

This is the first time I have been to the same hotel twice in as many weeks, so I am going to try and distill my thoughts from both visits to be helpful to readers. It's a great building, and the lifts are really fast. I love the design in the comfy area by the bar, and the two bedrooms I had were, on the whole very good. Both times I was on floor 11 and there is no street noise there. I would have put good after time one, but time two has reduced it to average. Let's survey the experience. Checkin: First time, good but cold, second time excellent! Meeting rooms: very good both times. Food: Breakfast in the restaurant, fine but busy, stewed coffee, breakfast in my room, very late, hardly had time to eat the toast. Sigh. Dinner in the restaurant- both times, slowish service and very very small portions. Check what you get with your mains. Puddings and starters better than mains- they tended to be dry (chicken and fish). Watch the mini bar mechanism- it is very touch sensitive! I had no problems at all with the housekeeping in either room, and the mattresses were EXCELLENT- good nights sleep not to be sniffed at. So, in summary, this has the location, design, and staff potential to be excellent. The management need to just think what they can do to lift the experience that extra notch.

Room Tip: I think the higher floors are best, though not if drawing the curtains gives you vertigo!
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your review. I am glad overall you enjoyed your stay and may I thank you for thinking of us the second time round, I hope there will be a third!

We are always seeking for feedback and looking how we can do better, so thank you for adding some constructive points, these are discussed regularly with implementation for the better.

I hope we will be able to welcome you back again, and of your not a member of our loyalty programme then this will definitely .

We hope to see you soon, have a fab week,

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 October 2012

I came here for breakfast with a work colleague as we were passing through birmingham. When we arrived we were directed towards the restaurant area. There was no one there to great us, some tall young man came over and greeted us and I asked for a table for two for breakfast and we were not residents. He asked if we knew how much it was, so i replied i think it is £14.65 n he answered "no its £14.95" which i felt was quiet abrupt. He sat us on a table that was not laid completely. A waitress then came over and offered us tea or coffee, that arrived quickly but we had to wait for our cups to arrive after, I didnt see the logic in this. We were not explained the buffet to us, so we had got up and had a look around. The fruit and yoghurt dishes were chipped, the yoghurt had obviously not been changed as it had a crusty edge around the bowl. The juices were warm. We had some fruits and after 5 minutes our bowls had still not been cleared so we got up and had a cooked breakfast. We did our toast first and had to wait 6 minutes for it to cook! After we went over to the hot buffet, there was a nice selection but the napkins on top of the dishes were dirty. The food was not that hot either, if i had of got my toast after my food probably would of been on the verge of cold. When we got back to our table, our bowls were still there. We asked for more tea and coffee as ours had gone cold. It was only then that our bowls were removed. I was very disappointed in my experience. I would not be recommending or returning to this place.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank naomi l
Daer Noami,

Thank you for your review - I am very disappointed to hear about your experience, I have highlighted all of yor feedback to our food & beverage manager who will look to prevent such issues again immediately, please be assured this is not inherent of our usual standards.

If you would have a moment to contact me below, we can look into options to make things right going forward.

DD: 0121 654 6010

Travellers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 October 2012

Room was a good, spacious size, very comfortable bed, good decor but let down by the dirt and dust that is everywhere! from the tea making facilities, mini bar snacks, magazines, desk, table etc really not what i expect from a 4 star accomodation.

We were on the 14th floor with amazing views over Birmingham. some noise from traffic and sirens going past throughout the night.

Breakfast was good, i did have a problem with their fruit that for some reason must be frozen and bit into what i thought was a large juicy strawberry to find out painfully that it was solidly iced??? the girl waitresing was not interested on hearing about my misadventure. A good choice people coming down to breakfast after 09.30am on this sunday were waiting in a queue of about 5 people to be seated.

Reception staff are friendly and polite on check in and checking out although both processes you will have to wait in a large line and this is tiring when you want to just check in or out no express service.

Good central location for food and theatre and shopping

Dear guest,

Thank you for your review - Firstly I would like to apologise for the housekeeping and restaurant experience, If you would have a moment to send me your details we can discuss in more detail and look into options to rectify moving forward.

Thank you for praising the staff, I am sure they will be happy to hear such great comments, I would agree check in at times can have queuesupon a saturday and sunday, we find on the weekend everybody tends to arrive at the same time, (after 3pm) quieter times are early afternoon we find.

I have left my details below and hope to discuss further with you.

Reviewed 14 October 2012

We stayed here on a Saturday night after a long day in the centre of Birmingham. We queued for 10 mins to check in, despite one member of staff standing idle watching the queue and a free computer terminal that I suspect could have been used to check guests in. The room we had booked was not available, were upgraded, this meant the double room we had booked was now a twin. It was not possible to pay for drinks with cash at the bar which meant we had to ensure checkout again this morning, where the same member of staff that was loitering at checking was standing idle again.
The main problem with our stay came at breakfast. We queued for 10 maybe 15 mins for a table and were then met with chaos. There was one 4 slice toaster for the whole dining room. There were queues everywhere as the layout of the food area can't cope with volume. We were shown to our table to be asked to wait whilst a chair was found - we are a couple. To get coffee we had to go to the coffee making area. One of the fruit dishes I chose was still frozen. An excuse of the hotel being busy is not acceptable.

• Stayed October 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for spending the time to write regarding your recent visit. I would like to sincerely apologise for what would appear to be a disappointing experience, if you would be so kind to send your details to my address below we can discuss further. In the mean time, together with the relevant department heads, we will look into your comments urgently.

Hope to hear from you.