“Great city centre location and awesome views”

Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham
Ranked #74 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Cambs
“Great city centre location and awesome views”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2013

We stayed en famille in two rooms on the seventh and eight floors for one night while shopping and going out in central Birmingham. The fact that its a huge blue glass tower makes it easy to find in the city centre's difficult one way system. We parked outside in the slip road to drop off luggage which was good and then parked in the rather grim NCP place round the corner (but which has a deal with the hotel making it considerably cheaper to park there.) Front desk staff were v helpful (young Russian chappie) and two of us had a drink in the ground floor lobby bar, which was fine but later in the evening was v crowded so we gave it a miss later on.
Our rooms were good with interesting views and plenty of space. Wifi was fine and bathrooms big and warm. The decor was a bit "tired" and could do with a refresh. Key positive point was that even tho this was a Friday night and there were people there on a hen night, the rooms were quiet and we didn't hear any corridor sound. In fact we had a really good night sleep.
So the one issue which was disappointing was that we planned to eat in the hotel restaurant but as it closes at ten and we wouldn't be back till ten fifteen that wasn't going to happen. I guess with so much happening in terms of night life around the hotel it probably isn't worth them competing.
Two of us used the gym in the morning and the view was pretty awesome from the 19th floor.
We would use this hotel again.

Room Tip: The odd numbered rooms look out to the front.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (467)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Cleobury Mortimer
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2013

This hotel gives the impression of being smart and cosmopolitan. Our bedroom on the 17th floor was tatty and disappointing. The curtains were hanging off the rail, there were several stains on the carpet, the TV remote didn't work and we couldn't work the coffee machine as the were no instructions. The staff were professional, but every time we passed through reception there was someone complaining or challenging their bill. We may have been unlucky with our room, but bearing in mind the cost of staying here, there are better value hotels. We were taken in by the smart facade and were disappointed.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
sarah_duffield, Rooms Division Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham, responded to this review, 11 March 2013
Dear Carron,

Thank you for your review - I apologise sincerely you were not satisfied with your room, to read of your experience and accommodation standard is clearly not acceptable, I would be very grateful if you could provide the hotel with further details so we can investigate internally and resolve any issues immediately.

Please contact my colleague Dimpy Wason to provide your details so we can work together and resolve your previous encounter positively. You can email dimpy on Dimpy.Wason@radissonblu.com

Thank you for your time, we look forward to hearing from you.

ALCESTER
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2013

I arranged to stay here as it was my birthday and as this was supposed to be a four star hotel I wanted a treat. Check in was good with nice reception staff, I asked for a room high up and we were put in the 11th. Room was ok view was fab. Bed was big but looked like 2 beds put together which was fine. Decor not bad but not the wow factor I was hoping for. Bathroom could have done with updating however it was clean. We went shopping which is why the location was good. We had reserved a table in the hotel restaurant which was Italian. When we went for dinner we were shown to a nice table and given a menu. I didn't feel that there was much choice on the menu so opted for a pasta dish. Wine list was extensive and as I'm not a connoisseur in wine asked the waitress to recommend a medium to sweet. The one she picked was actually dry and I wasnt going to pay the prices for a wine I didn't like therefore opted for lager ad they only had a choice of 2. Overall meal was ok but not brilliant. Went to bed and had a rubbish night sleep due to traffic and the pillows were far to soft. Breakfast was fine had a good selection of hot and cold food.
Overall stay ok but would not stay here again. I find premier inns much nicer and much cheaper!!!!!

Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Emma,

Thak you for your recent stay. After reading through your review I was pleased that we delivered in service, I would of liked for you to be 100% satisfied and apologise that we were not able to meet your expectations.

Being in the city centre, there can be noise outside, higher up and back facing rooms can be a better option to avoid hearing any traffic. I am sorry you found the pillows unsuitable, we do have new ones on the way and also can change any pillows during yor stay to make you more comfortable.

I would like to thank you again for your review and hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back to Radisson Blu in the near future.

belgium
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2013

I booked a business class room for my Husband & daughter when they stayed in BIrmingham to look for an apartment ,they were very pleased with the hotel,spacious room,great view,etc.
However, when i went the to visit her,i booked a business class room but it was nothing as they had said,so i was very disappointed,small room, 2 single beds with a view on the back rooftop,mmm!
So,i'am going to give it another try, because it is my husbands birthday,and i want him to enjoy his stay,so i hope they will give me the corner room on the highest possible floor with view on Holloway Circus,as requested wile booking the room.

Josée

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
Dear Josee,

Thank you for yor review - I am sorry to read you were previously disappointed in the room allocated for your daughter. It would be great if you could give the hotel a quick call with your details so we can locate your booking and ensure you revieve the best possible room for the category you have booked.

You may contact myself until Wednesday or alternatively Russell Markou, our Operations Director by calling the hotel 01216546000, I hope you enjoy your stay, thank you for thinking of us again.

Paris, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2013

This is an imposing, modern, multi-story hotel in the heart of Birmingham. We found the check-in for a two night stay (March 2/3 2013) fast and efficient and handled by charming staff which applied equally to everyone on the highly cosmopolitan team.
The public areas are spotless and immaculate as are the large, tastefully furnished and excellently equipped rooms - everything and more from free Wifi, through an iron and trouser press, to mini-bar and tea and coffee maker.
We dined in the strongly Italian themed restaurant on the first night and although the minestrone is probably not what mama might serve in the back streets of Florence, was perfectly acceptable. The two fish dishes we chose, on the the other hand, were excellent.
Breakfast in the same dining area is probably as good as any to be had. The choice is vast and imaginative, appetizingly displayed and hot when in should be - no congealed, cold baked beans. On departure day we took an early, light breakfast, in our room that was delivered exactly to time by a delightful member of staff and the helpings were vast. My wife's boiled egg had a double yolk but I suspect that was accidental.
It is very hard indeed to fault this hotel (or in my experience other 'Radissons') on any count.
The only thing I would say, and not really the fault of the hotel, is if you are not familiar with the road system in Birmingham the Radisson Blu, for all its towering size, is very hard to find in a vehicle and the directions given, poor. The NCP car park at the rear that the hotel uses on a discounted basis is awful - inefficiently run and dangerous to negotiate in a car. Moral - leave the 'wheels' at home or elsewhere.

Room Tip: 'Business class' are best with good deals
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Dear Martyn,

Thank you very much for your recent review - I am delighted to read such wonderful comments and glad you enjoyed your stay and enjoyed your dinner in our Filini restaurant.

I am happy to read of your comments relating to the service, I am sure the team will be delighted to read your kind words. In relation to the car parking, The NCP is the closest to the hotel, we do offer a discount for this however recommend for customers to use the mailbox if they would prefer secured parking which is only a short walk up the road however we currently have no rate agreement with the mailbox.

If you would like to return soon we would be glad to assist you with a booking, please contact us directly whenever you plan your next trip!

All the best,

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2013 via mobile

I used to regularly book the radisson blu when travelling on business to Brum, however, I have been let down on two occasions and will not be returning. Last week I arrived at the hotel at 11pm after work to be told that the hotel was overbooked and they did not have a room for me (despite booking in January). This is clearly unacceptable as the hotel could have contacted me earlier in the day to let me know this. They did arrange a taxi and room to another hotel but this was not what I needed at 11pm. In addition to this, I stayed for 4 nights in Jan and was told I could not have a non-smoking room (even though I had booked one). As a non smoker I could smell the smoke in the room and all of my clothes smelled like smoke for the entire week. I did eventually move rooms during that week but all of my luggage had already picked up the smell. Therefore, for both of the above reasons I have cancelled all reservations with this hotel going forwards and advised the head of travel within the company I work for of the problems I have experienced.

• Stayed February 2013
sarah_duffield, Rooms Division Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham, responded to this review, 9 March 2013
Dear guest,

I am very sorry to read of your review - Taking into consideration the severity of your comments I would kindly ask for you to contact our new Director of Operations to discuss further, it is certainly not our intention to lose you as a customer and hope we are able to resolve your preivious encounters positively.

Our director of operations Russell Markou can be contacted on Russell.Markou@radissonblu.com or alternatively you can contact the hotel on 01216546000.

Kind regards,

Rooms Division Manager

Travellers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2013

I have only given this hotel 3 out of 5. This average classification is just for this stay. If we hadn't of encountered the problems below on one of the nights and one of the mornings, this would have been an excellent 5 out of 5.

Feedback on Rooms

We were allocated a 'corner business class room' however the room we were allocated, 621 was terrible. It stopped us both sleeping the first night and due to the lack of sleep this made my friend who I was treating to a special trip away, poorly all day Sunday due to an illness he suffers from. Neither of us had more than 1 hours sleep.

The room itself was beautiful with a great bed, bedding and amenities. However all night every 30 seconds or so there was a loud knocking sound coming from the corner of the room. All night there was also a loud ‘groaning’ sound coming from the bathroom area, as if there were airlocks in the plumbing system.

Thankfully the next day, the front desk manager agreed to move us to room 1721. This was so much better and we had a great night’s sleep on the 2nd night.

Feedback on Breakfast

On the Sunday morning we had breakfast and felt very indifferent towards the food and quality. It seemed greasy, not very warm, items had run out and breakfast was not much of a quality experience.

The thing that saved the hotel's reputation was the great staff. All the restaurant staff were so helpful and friendly.

Then, in stark contrast to this on the Monday morning, the breakfast was like a new experience. All the food was hot, all items were present and full, omelettes were offered, poached eggs were cooked well (hard and cold the morning before) and the whole experience felt a lot more luxurious.

This stark contrast in presentations surprised us both as we wouldn’t have thought this would happen in a Radisson Blu hotel, based on our past experiences.

Staff Feedback

As I noted previously breakfast staff were excellent.

The housekeeping staff were very friendly and attentive. Some of the best we have had in a hotel.

The front desk staff were great and treated us with respect, empathy and genuineness. They were happy to deal with anything I wanted to ask, answered calls I made to them from the room very timely and were extremely friendly.

I would like to single out Martin Corns and thank him most sincerely for his professional and friendly manner and clear ‘want’ and 'need' to make people’s stays as enjoyable as he could.

Would we stay here again? - Definately (not in room 621 - ha ha ha)

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Dear guest,

Thank you for your recent review, I appreciate the variety of feedback and will look into your constructive points immediately with the relevant heads of department.

I would like to thank you for your positive points relating to the hotel service, in particular Martin who I am sure when reading your review will be overwhelmed that he was able to turn things around for you after your initial disturbance.

We would be delighted to invite you back once again and for the next stay will do our utmost to score a 5/5 rating! If you would have plans to return in the future please contact my colleague Russell Markou who is our new Director of operations, you can email Russell directly on Russell.Markou@radissonblu.com

Have a great weekend and hope to hear from you soon.

Best wishes,