“Anniversary stay - made it very special”

Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham
Ranked #63 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 30 May 2013

My partner arranged for us to stay at the Radisson as we were having a night in Birmingham to celebrate our anniversary. We managed to get a discounted stay via lastminute.com, paying £80 including breakfast which made the stay very good value. We informed the hotel before we arrived that it was a special occasion and asked if they could do anything extra for us. When we arrived they had upgraded our room and left a congratulations message along with some fudge and strawberries in the room - we thought this was a lovely touch and really made our stay. The room was comfortable and clean and the breakfast in the morning was above average with a very good range of food available.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Russell M, Director of Operations at Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2013

Thank you very much for your lovely review of our hotel following your recent stay - we are naturally delighted that you were pleased with the small celebratory surprise that we prepared for you and pleased that you chose to stay with us for your anniversary.

We look forward to welcoming you back to us during your next visit to Birmingham.

Reviewed 30 May 2013

The hotel staff were most welcoming. Our facility was comfortable and had the space necessary for out meeting. Internet available as expected. Refreshments were supplied and kept available throughout the meeting. It was quite and when extra chairs were desired they were delivered in good time. Close to New Street Train Station, Birmingham with good bus transportation. Shopping available in surrounding area especially at the Bull Ring.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business

Many thanks for your positive review of our hotel in relation to your recent meeting experience.

We are very pleased to read that we hosted your event to your satisfaction - we are proud of our professional team who take pride in delivering attentive service for our clients and who understand how important it is to ensure they deliver seamless service to aid successful meetings.

We are fortunate to be in a great location within Birmingham city centre, only a 3 minute walk from New Street train station makes it simple for meeting delegates and guests to find us, and with the current re-development of New Street we will be less than a 2 minute walk away from the main entrance to the station in 2014, making it even easier to get to us.

Many thanks once again and we look forward to welcoming you back to us soon.

Reviewed 29 May 2013

We were lucky enough to have a day off in Birmingham and I had an extensive counteraction with Dimpy, who seemed to be the MOD. We had a group of 10 people and were arriving a bit early for our check in. I contacted the hotel the day prior and the assured me that they would do all that they could to get us into our rooms as quickly as possible.
We arrived a little bit after 10:00 AM and Dimpy greeted me at the front door with all of our room keys. That is a great start! Dimpy was very nice, cordial, and helpful. The lobby was well kept and very greeting. Everything is going aces at this point in time.
I head up to my room and at first glance, everything is great. There is a fairly heavy smell of deodorizer in the room (which usually means that something is being covered up). I found that smell as I brushed my teeth. There is a bad smell that emanates from their sewer system once water flows through it. Only negative of the stay. Bed is large, TV is nice, bathroom is great. All good.
I got onto the internet straight away to check on the scores from the hockey games back in the USA. Bad news for me. My team lost. Boo hoo.
The internet was very fast and stable throughout our stay. I am nominating the hotel for a Nobel Prize as it seems to be impossible for hotels to maintain a steady internet experience.
My bed was very comfortable and somehow was missing the large gap that goes along with the bigger beds in Europe. Desk area was perfect for my work area.
Dimpy had a nice coffee machine sent up to me as I am the leader of the group. Sadly, I don't drink coffee. A very nice gesture.
I went for a walkabout as it was very nice outside on our day. The area around the hotel couldn't be any better (unless they were handing out free gold bricks). There are so many food choices within about a 4 block area, it is unreal. You can pretty much eat whatever your heart desires. A lot of nice shopping areas as well. Location, location, location.
About mid-afternoon room service brought me up some cookies, a hand formed chocolate bowl, and some fresh strawberries. More personal touch! I loved it. Very much appreciated.
I went down and had breakfast in the morning. All good. Our service was a lovely Eastern European gal who was very friendly and helpful. More bonus points.
We all checked out and Dimpy handled my master bill himself. Everything was accurate and we were on our way.
Dimpy couldn't have been better for our stay. He acted as if he was the owner of the hotel. As if he had a financial interest in the running of the place. In this day and age, this attention to detail and pride in the workplace is very uncommon. If more people took this approach, we would all be offered a much higher level of Customer Service. When you see it, you need to recognize it and let people know how great they are at their jobs. I stay in about 200 hotel rooms per year. Dimpy's efficiency and kindness will not be soon forgotten.
No, I am not Dimpy. He was awesome. Trust me.

Room Tip: I was in 919. My room was nice and quiet.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business

Thank you very much for your delightful response regarding your recent stay with us, we really appreciate the time you spent on providing this great feedback.

Dimpy is a great team player and ambassador for our hotel and brand, he will be delighted to read this review which will only add to his ambition to develop himself even further, we are very happy that you felt so well taken care of.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused by the short term drain smell, we have since rectified this issue.

We were pleased to read that you were happy with the internet connection and speed, we recently upgraded our WI-FI system and we are receiving great feedback from guests regarding the improved performance - as you are no doubt aware we offer free WI-FI to all of our overnight guests and it is pleasing to see that this is getting a lot of use.

We hope to welcome you back to our hotel in the near future, maybe next time you can dine in our Filini restaurant where our new Executive Chef will be preparing fine Italian dishes and delicious fresh pizza.

Reviewed 27 May 2013

Hi, as a radisson you get the usual support for the business traveller, free wifi which thankfully has good bandwidth, excellent rooms which are comfortable and good bar and restaurant area. However, I ended up paying nearly £300 for one night which I consider excessive, particularly as there is no parking facility, having to park around the corner, and of coure getting caught in a Downpour with my luggage. Not really good for the driving business traveller,,,,,particularly at the rates they charge. Not very nice part of Birmingham. Think twice.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for your recent review on tripadvisor.

I was pleased to read that overall you were satisfied with all the usual offerings provided and expected from the Radisson Blu brand.

Unfortunately, we don't have our own dedicated car park, however, as you point out in your review there is an NCP car park around the corner in which our guests benefit from discounted rates - although not the official entrance into our hotel we do have an alternative route for our guests when it's raining, we will review how visible this is to our guests in light of your comments. Alternatively our front office team would be more than happy for you to drop off your luggage prior to parking your car.

Birmingham was extremely busy during your stay due to an annual conference taking place, as a result demand for hotel rooms was high and rates increased - I can assure you that our rates are competitive and great value for money.

Should you be travelling through Birmingham again in the near future please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel (0121 654 6000) and we can discuss your reservation, I'm certain we can change your opinion of our hotel.

Reviewed 27 May 2013

I debated selecting average as the overall rating, but I just couldn't do it since this hotel presents itself as such a high end property. The first problem is cleanliness - both chairs in our room and the built in bench were stained (the bench had a huge stain like someone had a horrible accident while sitting there), the sink paint was chipping away in several places, the carpet was stained, the walls were dirty in several places. The mattress was absolutely awful. It wasn't just soft, it was completely worn out and past it's useful life. We were in an "upgraded" business class room too. A big sign in the room talked about what you got free with the room and included use of the Nespresso machine. There were no Nespresso pods to use though. It also announced a free breakfast each morning for business class rooms but the desk tried to sell us the breakfasts at check in. We stayed for two nights, and housekeeping never arrived to make up our room. That is not a huge deal, however. We called to the desk to ask for towels. The desk offered no apology or anything they just simply said "ok". We had to call back and ask for toilet tissue as well. On the second call still no "sorry this happened" or any acknowledgement of the failure of service. Don't believe the hype of this hotel, I'm sure you can find a better room and a cheaper rate.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on tripadvisor.

Your comments are very concerning to me and not typically representative of our usual standards of service and operation, I would appreciate it if you contacted me directly at the hotel at your earliest convenience to discuss further - 0121 654 6000.

I sincerely hope to hear from you soon.

Reviewed 27 May 2013

Stayed 4 nights on business and found all staff to be friendly and helpful. The restaurant food is good if service is a bit slow with a cock-up on wine orders 1 night. Had to dispute a small charge on checkout but they readily rescinded the charge. Good free wifi, plentiful lifts. Bar is a bit disappointing, expensive and no decent beer.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business

Many thanks for your review on tripadvisor in regard to your recent stay.

Very pleasing to read that overall you were happy with your experience, please accept our apologies for the small issues that you mention in regard to service being slow and the discrepancy with your final bill - I will follow up with the relevant departments and discuss your feedback with the team.

We are currently reviewing our bar design with the intent to create more of lounge feel for our guests, a home-from-home environment, discussions are in progress and this is in response to guest feedback similar to yours.

In regard to our bar prices, we constantly monitor our prices within the city to ensure we remain competitive, we believe we have our prices at the right level for our hotel, plus we provide value in our great guest service.

I hope we get the chance to welcome you back to our hotel when you are next traveling through Birmingham, if you choose to stay again please feel free to ask for me so I can welcome you in person.

Reviewed 25 May 2013

One of Very Best Hotel to enjoy the Great view of Birmingham. Rooms offers descent space & pricing is little expensive. Hotel is very close to the New Street Train Station within walking distance. Reception staffs were very friendly. However, in my experience, the locker provided in the rooms were not secure enough.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family

Many thanks for your review regarding your stay with us.

We are really pleased that you appreciated our guest room space, design and the great views of the city, the floor to ceiling windows not only provide great views but also plenty of daylight giving a nice, fresh feel to the rooms.

We are receiving lots of positive guest feedback regarding our location to Birmingham New Street train station; this will become even better when the re-development of the station is complete in 2014, making it easier for our guests to get to us!

I note your comments regarding the in-room safe, I will look into this as we don't usually receive comments regarding the safe security - feel free to contact me at the hotel with more information about this if you get the time.

Thank you once again for your feedback, we hope to welcome you back to us very soon.