“Excellent location for Birmingham Hippodrome” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham

Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham
Ranked #72 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
“Excellent location for Birmingham Hippodrome”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2013 via mobile

This hotel is modern and well kept. The room was a good size with a huge bed. There were tea and coffee making facilities, a safe and a mini bar. There are ice stations on each floor and an ice bucket in the room to use. The staff on reception were really friendly and helpful as well. We stayed here as we were going to the Hippodrome, which is a two minute walk away. The hotel does not have a carpark, but there is an NCP next door.

Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Steelmen10
Russell M, Director of Operations at Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham, responded to this review, 4 July 2013
Thank you for your comments on tripadvisor - we are very pleased to read that you enjoyed the guest amenities available, even more pleasing to read that you had a great impression of our friendly staff on reception - we are proud of our team and the level of service they provide for our guests, they will be delighted to read your feedback, thank you once again.

Our location is ideal for the local theatres as you point out - don't miss out on a great dining experience in our Filini restaurant on the 1st floor before visiting the theatre next time, our new executive chef would be delighted to show off his exciting new menu!

We hope to see you back with us soon.

Warm regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (461)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2013

Radisson are my hotel of choice when I travel, so I was very pleased to hear my company had booked me in for the night of our annual party. However I was disappointed to find a very basic room that smelled quite badly of cigarette smoke. The windows on the 12th floor didn't open so we were left with the odour that transferred to all the clothes we had with us. Also the curtains were frayed, one of the lamps didn't work, the mini-bar was half empty, brown stains on the carpet, only 2 small pillows on the bed and the furniture looked very cheap. I was surprised to hear that the hotel is less than 10 years old as it has the distinct feel of a 1970s lodging. Not sure what the rack-rate is as work paid, but if you are looking for 4-star accomodation there is some quality alternatives locally.

Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for your constructive feedback further to your recent stay - All feedback is important to us and rest assured it is dealt with internally to ensure all issues raised are addressed promptly.

We have a number of smoking rooms within the hotel all of which are located on the 12th floor; all of these rooms are to be converted to non-smoking rooms this summer. It seems that you were provided with a smoking room, if this was not at your request then please accept our sincere apologies. We empathise with the discomfort caused and I would appreciate it if you could contact me at the hotel directly to discuss.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Warm regards.

Travellers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

Basingstoke, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2013

I visited this hotel for a business course in June 2013. I got there by train (Birmingham New Street station is a few minutes' walk away) and went straight to reception to book in. The lady on reception told me which room the course was in but didn't seem interested in showing me which direction, where the lifts were etc so I had to find my own way.

The buffet lunch which was laid on was lovely, a selection of hot meat/fish with salad, vegetables, pasta salad, potatoes and finished with a couple of different deserts. I would have had seconds had I not been on a diet!! The staff in the restaurant were very polite and helpful.

The one complaint I had was the cubicle doors in the toilets - I only visited the ladies but I expect the men's were the same. The cubicle doors were frosted glass meaning you could see shadows of colour behind the door when someone was using the toilet or you can see shadows of people using the wash basins if you're the one using the toilet. I thought this was very unnerving and didn't make me feel comfortable.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your recent visit, I trust the business course you attended ran smoothly.

Sorry to read that our reception staff did not come across as helpful when directing you to the lifts, this has been discussed with the front office manager and he has addressed this with the team to prevent a repeat occurrence - thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Your comments on the quality of lunch and the friendly restaurant staff have been shared with the team who were delighted to read this, thank you once again, it's great to hear that our team are providing noticeably excellent service for our guests; we never stop striving to improve on this!

Sorry to read that our contemporary designed WC cubicle doors were not to your liking, we haven't received complaints about these before however your comments have been noted for future reference.

We hope to welcome you back to us soon, perhaps for a leisure break rather than business next time.

UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2013 via mobile

Don't trust the brand. I thought this hotel would be a good choice for a one night business trip, but I am disappointed to say it was below average on all accounts. On arrival I had to change rooms straight away due to the bed not being a king sized as I had booked. The second room was simply average. Carpets are stained and look dirty and the bedding also has a similar look (stained pillows). The air con does not seem to cool the room very well and TV picture was poor in terms of quality (fuzzy). I expected more from the Radisson brand and overall am not impressed given the prices charged.

• Stayed June 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Russell M, Director of Operations at Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham, responded to this review, 19 June 2013
Thanks you for your feedback in reference to your recent stay.

Please accept our apologies for not living up to your expectations - Our hotel is fast approaching 8 years old and refurbishment plans are in progress and we hope to implement these very soon - the damaged carpets are our top priority and will be replaced over the forthcoming weeks

Please feel free to contact me at the hotel and I will gladly discuss this and other aspects of your stay personally.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Kind regards,
Northampton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for one night on business. Room was ok but not as luxurious as I had expected. There were no biscuits with the tea and coffee and there was no complimentary water.

Dinner was average at best; ordered a margarita from the "Italian" restaurant which was topped with cheddar as opposed to mozzarella; not many Italian restaurants I have frequented top it off with cheddar.

Service was very good though and the girl that served us was really excellent.

Had high hopes for this hotel as it's a cool looking building but didn't live up to expectation.

Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Many thanks for your feedback further to your stay with us.

Please accept our apologies for the issue with your pizza topping - not a common problem I'm happy to say, however, this has been communicated to our executive chef who will follow up with his team.

Your comments about our staff members are really appreciated and will certainly be passed on to the team, thanks for taking the time to comment on this.

Please feel free to contact me when you are next travelling through Birmingham as I'm certain we can change your opinion of us and deliver an experience that will live up to or indeed exceed your expectations.

Hope to welcome you back to us soon.

Kind regards,
Norwich, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2013

I've stayed in Birmingham many times before, usually using Premier Inns. As this was a special occasion I decided to try somewhere I thought would be a bit more luxurious. I booked one night on-line and got a reasonable price including breakfast. I then had a change of plan which involved booking the night before by phone to ensure I was able to stay in the same room and was quoted a price £20 higher with no negotiation on price and found out on arrival that did not include breakfast. Very strange. Check-in was efficient but not very welcoming. I may just have been unlucky as the other staff I encountered were helpful and friendly. The room was adequate, but starting to look a bit tired. Stains on the walls and carpet, a rather tatty looking chair, battered and misshapen shade on one bedside lamp, tiling in the bathroom had seen better days. TV remote control only worked if you held it right up to the screen and the choice of channels was basic to put it mildly. OK, it was a 'standard' room, but essentially it was Premier Inn with added fake leather trim. Given the price paid, I had expected more. Breakfast on day 2 was OK, but a self-service affair with buffet-style full English which inevitably means rather dried-up with the only egg option being rubbery scrambled. I visited the hotel bar in the evening and was charged £5.50 for a pint of Budweiser! Needless to say I didn't stop for a second one. No wonder the bar was almost empty.This is Birmingham ring road not the West End of London. Overall the Radisson Blu seems to have ideas above its station (and prices). There's more to a good hotel than a posh-looking building, snooty staff in sharp suits and rip-off prices at the bar. Back to the Premier Inn for me...

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
      Sleep Quality
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to provide extensive feedback regarding your stay, I am very sorry to read that most of your experience was negative.

If you have the time I would very much appreciate discussing the issues you have raised - at your convenience please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel.

I sincerely hope to hear from you soon.

Oxford
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2013

Recently, we held a MasterClass on our product in one of the meeting rooms. It was good and the open area had the right 'feel'.

Becky the event manager was particularly prompt, efficient and helpful - as were the reception staff.

Accommodation was consistent with what you would expect from the Radisson.

Bar food service was sometimes difficult to obtain but when you did the food was very good.

Parking is a nause - best tip I can give is to pull up right outside and ferry your bags/clothes etc to your room AND THEN park the car (NCP car park at the rear of the hotel - tight turns!)

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
      Sleep Quality
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you very much for your great feedback regarding your recent meeting and overnight stay with us.

Very pleasing to read that you were particularly impressed by Becky, she is a great asset to our team and she was delighted to read your comments, the front office team were equally delighted to read your comments - we believe that the simplest ingredient to create a successful guest experience is having the right people in the right places to begin with - your comments provide great motivation for the team, thank you once again.

We hope to welcome you back to us very soon - the next time we will take your bags for you!

Warm regards.