“Good for the Bullring”

Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham
Ranked #69 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 23 June 2013

Recently stayed here, on the 17th, of 18, floors. One side of the hotel overlooks the rear of the hotel, carparks etc. The front of the hotel overlooks the City, with the O2 just down the road. Floor 12 is a smoking floor.
About a 10 minute walk to the Bullring shopping Centre. Close by is an Indian restaraunt, local shops. A taxi to the NEC cost approx £20.
Generous room size, nice shower, iron and ironing board, tea and coffee facilities. Safe and mini bar.
Very helpful staff. Car parking available in the NCP behind the hotel. It cost £14 for 24 hours, which you can pay at the hotel, they will validate the parking ticket for you.
There is a bar to the left of the reception area.
You need to use your room door key to operate the lift when going up, but not going down.
Would stay here again.

Room Tip: A much better view from the front of the hotel.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Russell M, Director of Operations at Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2013

Thank you for your comments on tripadvisor - we are glad to read that you were happy with all the amenities we offer and very happy to read that you would stay with us again.

We look forward to welcoming you back to us.

Reviewed 23 June 2013

This hotel is modern and well kept. The room was a good size with a huge bed. There were tea and coffee making facilities, a safe and a mini bar. There are ice stations on each floor and an ice bucket in the room to use. The staff on reception were really friendly and helpful as well. We stayed here as we were going to the Hippodrome, which is a two minute walk away. The hotel does not have a carpark, but there is an NCP next door.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Steelmen10

Thank you for your comments on tripadvisor - we are very pleased to read that you enjoyed the guest amenities available, even more pleasing to read that you had a great impression of our friendly staff on reception - we are proud of our team and the level of service they provide for our guests, they will be delighted to read your feedback, thank you once again.

Our location is ideal for the local theatres as you point out - don't miss out on a great dining experience in our Filini restaurant on the 1st floor before visiting the theatre next time, our new executive chef would be delighted to show off his exciting new menu!

We hope to see you back with us soon.

Reviewed 22 June 2013

Radisson are my hotel of choice when I travel, so I was very pleased to hear my company had booked me in for the night of our annual party. However I was disappointed to find a very basic room that smelled quite badly of cigarette smoke. The windows on the 12th floor didn't open so we were left with the odour that transferred to all the clothes we had with us. Also the curtains were frayed, one of the lamps didn't work, the mini-bar was half empty, brown stains on the carpet, only 2 small pillows on the bed and the furniture looked very cheap. I was surprised to hear that the hotel is less than 10 years old as it has the distinct feel of a 1970s lodging. Not sure what the rack-rate is as work paid, but if you are looking for 4-star accomodation there is some quality alternatives locally.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for your constructive feedback further to your recent stay - All feedback is important to us and rest assured it is dealt with internally to ensure all issues raised are addressed promptly.

We have a number of smoking rooms within the hotel all of which are located on the 12th floor; all of these rooms are to be converted to non-smoking rooms this summer. It seems that you were provided with a smoking room, if this was not at your request then please accept our sincere apologies. We empathise with the discomfort caused and I would appreciate it if you could contact me at the hotel directly to discuss.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Warm regards.

Reviewed 20 June 2013

I visited this hotel for a business course in June 2013. I got there by train (Birmingham New Street station is a few minutes' walk away) and went straight to reception to book in. The lady on reception told me which room the course was in but didn't seem interested in showing me which direction, where the lifts were etc so I had to find my own way.

The buffet lunch which was laid on was lovely, a selection of hot meat/fish with salad, vegetables, pasta salad, potatoes and finished with a couple of different deserts. I would have had seconds had I not been on a diet!! The staff in the restaurant were very polite and helpful.

The one complaint I had was the cubicle doors in the toilets - I only visited the ladies but I expect the men's were the same. The cubicle doors were frosted glass meaning you could see shadows of colour behind the door when someone was using the toilet or you can see shadows of people using the wash basins if you're the one using the toilet. I thought this was very unnerving and didn't make me feel comfortable.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your recent visit, I trust the business course you attended ran smoothly.

Sorry to read that our reception staff did not come across as helpful when directing you to the lifts, this has been discussed with the front office manager and he has addressed this with the team to prevent a repeat occurrence - thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Your comments on the quality of lunch and the friendly restaurant staff have been shared with the team who were delighted to read this, thank you once again, it's great to hear that our team are providing noticeably excellent service for our guests; we never stop striving to improve on this!

Sorry to read that our contemporary designed WC cubicle doors were not to your liking, we haven't received complaints about these before however your comments have been noted for future reference.

We hope to welcome you back to us soon, perhaps for a leisure break rather than business next time.

Reviewed 18 June 2013 via mobile

Don't trust the brand. I thought this hotel would be a good choice for a one night business trip, but I am disappointed to say it was below average on all accounts. On arrival I had to change rooms straight away due to the bed not being a king sized as I had booked. The second room was simply average. Carpets are stained and look dirty and the bedding also has a similar look (stained pillows). The air con does not seem to cool the room very well and TV picture was poor in terms of quality (fuzzy). I expected more from the Radisson brand and overall am not impressed given the prices charged.

• Stayed: June 2013
Russell M, Director of Operations at Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2013

Thanks you for your feedback in reference to your recent stay.

Please accept our apologies for not living up to your expectations - Our hotel is fast approaching 8 years old and refurbishment plans are in progress and we hope to implement these very soon - the damaged carpets are our top priority and will be replaced over the forthcoming weeks

Please feel free to contact me at the hotel and I will gladly discuss this and other aspects of your stay personally.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 18 June 2013

Stayed here for one night on business. Room was ok but not as luxurious as I had expected. There were no biscuits with the tea and coffee and there was no complimentary water.

Dinner was average at best; ordered a margarita from the "Italian" restaurant which was topped with cheddar as opposed to mozzarella; not many Italian restaurants I have frequented top it off with cheddar.

Service was very good though and the girl that served us was really excellent.

Had high hopes for this hotel as it's a cool looking building but didn't live up to expectation.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business

Many thanks for your feedback further to your stay with us.

Please accept our apologies for the issue with your pizza topping - not a common problem I'm happy to say, however, this has been communicated to our executive chef who will follow up with his team.

Your comments about our staff members are really appreciated and will certainly be passed on to the team, thanks for taking the time to comment on this.

Please feel free to contact me when you are next travelling through Birmingham as I'm certain we can change your opinion of us and deliver an experience that will live up to or indeed exceed your expectations.

Hope to welcome you back to us soon.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 17 June 2013

I've stayed in Birmingham many times before, usually using Premier Inns. As this was a special occasion I decided to try somewhere I thought would be a bit more luxurious. I booked one night on-line and got a reasonable price including breakfast. I then had a change of plan which involved booking the night before by phone to ensure I was able to stay in the same room and was quoted a price £20 higher with no negotiation on price and found out on arrival that did not include breakfast. Very strange. Check-in was efficient but not very welcoming. I may just have been unlucky as the other staff I encountered were helpful and friendly. The room was adequate, but starting to look a bit tired. Stains on the walls and carpet, a rather tatty looking chair, battered and misshapen shade on one bedside lamp, tiling in the bathroom had seen better days. TV remote control only worked if you held it right up to the screen and the choice of channels was basic to put it mildly. OK, it was a 'standard' room, but essentially it was Premier Inn with added fake leather trim. Given the price paid, I had expected more. Breakfast on day 2 was OK, but a self-service affair with buffet-style full English which inevitably means rather dried-up with the only egg option being rubbery scrambled. I visited the hotel bar in the evening and was charged £5.50 for a pint of Budweiser! Needless to say I didn't stop for a second one. No wonder the bar was almost empty.This is Birmingham ring road not the West End of London. Overall the Radisson Blu seems to have ideas above its station (and prices). There's more to a good hotel than a posh-looking building, snooty staff in sharp suits and rip-off prices at the bar. Back to the Premier Inn for me...

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo

Thank you for taking the time to provide extensive feedback regarding your stay, I am very sorry to read that most of your experience was negative.

If you have the time I would very much appreciate discussing the issues you have raised - at your convenience please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel.

I sincerely hope to hear from you soon.