“Impossible to sleep”

Ranked #75 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Impossible to sleep”
Reviewed 24 June 2013

Stayed overnight in room 510, unfortunately outside the room window is a bank of fans for the air conditioning and this makes it impossible to get to sleep. My daughter and I had to attend several lectures the day after and it was a disaster. Room 510 is at the back on the 5th floor so any of those rooms are poor. On the positive side the breakfast is very good but could not compensate for no sleep.

Room Tip: stay at the front of the hotel high up.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Russell M, Director of Operations at Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham, responded to this review, 4 July 2013
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay - we are very sorry to read of the discomfort caused as result of the external fans - this issue has now been resolved.

Thank you for your positive comments regarding breakfast, we are proud of our Super Buffet Breakfast offering and we are delighted that you enjoyed it; your comments will be passed onto our chef.

If you are planning on staying in Birmingham again in future, please don't hesitate to contact me and I will ensure you get the perfect night's sleep. Once again, we apologise to both you and your daughter for the discomfort caused.

I hope to welcome you back to us soon.

Warm regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (473)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Rijswijk, The Netherlands
Reviewed 24 June 2013

Having tried about 8 different hotels in Birmingham, this has become my preferred choice. It is a well serviced hotel with good facilities. Public and private spaces are all well maintained. When staying here I feel truly rested in the morning and am ready for a busy new day. Checking in and out is swift. Breakfast is of good quality with a wide choice.The only nuisance is that the restaurant is closed on Sunday evenings, which is quite annoying when staying overnight for early-Monday meetings.
The atmosphere in the rooms is more high-class business-like than romantic, especially in the standard rooms. The more expensive rooms are a bit better (and with a much nicer view, from the top floors.) Although I did bring my other half with me on some occasions and that did also work out very well.
Location wise you can't get any better, pretty much next to the central New Street station.

Room Tip: If you have the money to spend on a higher-grade room, go for it. They're nicely spacious, and h...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Many thanks for your review of our hotel.

A pleasure to read your comments and we are delighted that you have chosen us as your preferred hotel in Birmingham.

Unfortunately the restaurant is closed for dinner on Sunday's as you correctly point out, however, we will be launching all of our new menus over the next 2 weeks including room service and the Lobby Bar, hopefully you will enjoy the new offerings available, I would appreciate your feedback once you've had the chance to try them - please feel free to ask for me at any time when you are next in the hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you back to us very soon.

Newport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 June 2013

Recently stayed here, on the 17th, of 18, floors. One side of the hotel overlooks the rear of the hotel, carparks etc. The front of the hotel overlooks the City, with the O2 just down the road. Floor 12 is a smoking floor.
About a 10 minute walk to the Bullring shopping Centre. Close by is an Indian restaraunt, local shops. A taxi to the NEC cost approx £20.
Generous room size, nice shower, iron and ironing board, tea and coffee facilities. Safe and mini bar.
Very helpful staff. Car parking available in the NCP behind the hotel. It cost £14 for 24 hours, which you can pay at the hotel, they will validate the parking ticket for you.
There is a bar to the left of the reception area.
You need to use your room door key to operate the lift when going up, but not going down.
Would stay here again.

Room Tip: A much better view from the front of the hotel.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for your comments on tripadvisor - we are glad to read that you were happy with all the amenities we offer and very happy to read that you would stay with us again.

We look forward to welcoming you back to us.

Reviewed 23 June 2013 via mobile

This hotel is modern and well kept. The room was a good size with a huge bed. There were tea and coffee making facilities, a safe and a mini bar. There are ice stations on each floor and an ice bucket in the room to use. The staff on reception were really friendly and helpful as well. We stayed here as we were going to the Hippodrome, which is a two minute walk away. The hotel does not have a carpark, but there is an NCP next door.

Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Steelmen10
Thank you for your comments on tripadvisor - we are very pleased to read that you enjoyed the guest amenities available, even more pleasing to read that you had a great impression of our friendly staff on reception - we are proud of our team and the level of service they provide for our guests, they will be delighted to read your feedback, thank you once again.

Our location is ideal for the local theatres as you point out - don't miss out on a great dining experience in our Filini restaurant on the 1st floor before visiting the theatre next time, our new executive chef would be delighted to show off his exciting new menu!

We hope to see you back with us soon.

Reviewed 22 June 2013

Radisson are my hotel of choice when I travel, so I was very pleased to hear my company had booked me in for the night of our annual party. However I was disappointed to find a very basic room that smelled quite badly of cigarette smoke. The windows on the 12th floor didn't open so we were left with the odour that transferred to all the clothes we had with us. Also the curtains were frayed, one of the lamps didn't work, the mini-bar was half empty, brown stains on the carpet, only 2 small pillows on the bed and the furniture looked very cheap. I was surprised to hear that the hotel is less than 10 years old as it has the distinct feel of a 1970s lodging. Not sure what the rack-rate is as work paid, but if you are looking for 4-star accomodation there is some quality alternatives locally.

Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for your constructive feedback further to your recent stay - All feedback is important to us and rest assured it is dealt with internally to ensure all issues raised are addressed promptly.

We have a number of smoking rooms within the hotel all of which are located on the 12th floor; all of these rooms are to be converted to non-smoking rooms this summer. It seems that you were provided with a smoking room, if this was not at your request then please accept our sincere apologies. We empathise with the discomfort caused and I would appreciate it if you could contact me at the hotel directly to discuss.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Warm regards.

Travellers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

Basingstoke, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 June 2013

I visited this hotel for a business course in June 2013. I got there by train (Birmingham New Street station is a few minutes' walk away) and went straight to reception to book in. The lady on reception told me which room the course was in but didn't seem interested in showing me which direction, where the lifts were etc so I had to find my own way.

The buffet lunch which was laid on was lovely, a selection of hot meat/fish with salad, vegetables, pasta salad, potatoes and finished with a couple of different deserts. I would have had seconds had I not been on a diet!! The staff in the restaurant were very polite and helpful.

The one complaint I had was the cubicle doors in the toilets - I only visited the ladies but I expect the men's were the same. The cubicle doors were frosted glass meaning you could see shadows of colour behind the door when someone was using the toilet or you can see shadows of people using the wash basins if you're the one using the toilet. I thought this was very unnerving and didn't make me feel comfortable.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your recent visit, I trust the business course you attended ran smoothly.

Sorry to read that our reception staff did not come across as helpful when directing you to the lifts, this has been discussed with the front office manager and he has addressed this with the team to prevent a repeat occurrence - thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Your comments on the quality of lunch and the friendly restaurant staff have been shared with the team who were delighted to read this, thank you once again, it's great to hear that our team are providing noticeably excellent service for our guests; we never stop striving to improve on this!

Sorry to read that our contemporary designed WC cubicle doors were not to your liking, we haven't received complaints about these before however your comments have been noted for future reference.

We hope to welcome you back to us soon, perhaps for a leisure break rather than business next time.

UK
Reviewed 18 June 2013 via mobile

Don't trust the brand. I thought this hotel would be a good choice for a one night business trip, but I am disappointed to say it was below average on all accounts. On arrival I had to change rooms straight away due to the bed not being a king sized as I had booked. The second room was simply average. Carpets are stained and look dirty and the bedding also has a similar look (stained pillows). The air con does not seem to cool the room very well and TV picture was poor in terms of quality (fuzzy). I expected more from the Radisson brand and overall am not impressed given the prices charged.

• Stayed June 2013
Russell M, Director of Operations at Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham, responded to this review, 19 June 2013
Thanks you for your feedback in reference to your recent stay.

Please accept our apologies for not living up to your expectations - Our hotel is fast approaching 8 years old and refurbishment plans are in progress and we hope to implement these very soon - the damaged carpets are our top priority and will be replaced over the forthcoming weeks

Please feel free to contact me at the hotel and I will gladly discuss this and other aspects of your stay personally.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Kind regards,