“night away”

Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham
Ranked #68 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 7 July 2013

well what can you say curtain missing broken chair cigaretts burns in carpet stains on the duvet they dont seem to care to much helpfull man on reception when e
we cheecked in and lovely polite bar maid

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Russell M, Director of Operations at Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2013

Thank you for your review regarding your stay with us.

I appreciate your comments and I am sorry that you got the impression that we don't seem to care - I can assure that we care very much for every single one of our guests and we take pride in making every effort to ensure that all of our guests leave our hotel happy, if issues are brought to the attention of our staff during the guest stay then we jump into action to resolve it to the satisfaction of the guest, our staff are empowered to use their initiative to solve all problems - although in your case it seems that we missed a couple of items during the room inspection which has been followed up on and resolved, again, please accept our apologies for this and for any discomfort caused.

All of our rooms are equipped with sheers and black-out curtains, I can assure you these are in every room, however, in some rooms they are discreetly tucked into alcoves to allow maximum light into the room during the day. In regard to the carpet, we do have a small number of carpets that have become stained over the past few weeks, whilst they are clean I appreciate they could look unsightly, these carpets are being changed over the next few weeks.

We hope to welcome you back to our hotel soon where I am certain you will see that your previous visit was an unfortunate one-off occurrence. Please feel free to contact me at the hotel should you wish to discuss further.

Russell Markou

Reviewed 7 July 2013

MAIN POINT - This hotel has a perfect location. Short walk from the train station, bull ring shopping centre and Arcadian (bars, clubs, china town). Therefore everything is a short distance away.

Hotel itself is clean, modern and friendly. Rooms are brightly decorated with decent flatscreen TV and comfy bed. Not the most luxurious hotel but definitely to our taste as a young couple.

Staff were friendly on check in but we seemed to get at a busy time and this did take 20 mins or so. So we went for a drink in the bar. £11 for 2 drinks later (not cocktails - beer and small wine) we were sorted.

Breakfast excellent. Lots of healthy options with fruit etc, cereal and an English hot selection which was very nice. Breakfast room is very smart too.

Overall, I have stayed in many Birmingham hotels and this is definitely in the top 2!!!

Room Tip: Went via Trivago. Got room for less than £95
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Russell M, Director of Operations at Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to pass on your feedback regarding your recent stay with us.

I can see that overall you had a delightful stay, it's always lovely to read such positive comments about our location, rooms, food offering and our genuinely friendly staff; the team will be very happy to read these comments which will only add to their motivation to continue to exceed our guest expectations.

We hope that soon we will be your number 1 hotel of choice in Birmingham and we look forward to welcoming you back to us.

Russell Markou

Reviewed 7 July 2013

Stayed here overnight as we managed to get a cheap deal which meant it was just as cheap as getting a taxi home after our night out. Booked a twin with city view but at check in had a double rear facing room. Reception staff soon got this sorted and I got the room I wanted. Stayed here before and the hotel and room was as good as ever. Bed really comfy, had no problems sleeping. Swift check out. Will keep an eye out for deals and will be back.

Room Tip: Have a room on a higher floor to appreciate the views.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you very much for your comments regarding your recent stay with us.

You are right to recommend the high floors; the views of the city are very impressive!

We very much look forward to welcoming you back to us very soon.

Warm Regards,

Russell Markou.

Reviewed 5 July 2013

The hotel is very convenient for Birmingham New Street railway station - once you know which exit to use! (It's one of the new exits and I think it's called Hill Street but please do check in case I've made a mistake). Our room was at the front of the hotel overlooking the roundabout but we weren't bothered by the traffic noise. The room decoration was a little tired looking but the bed was very comfortable and we had no complaints. Out of all the hotels we've stayed in in Birmingham this is our fave so far!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Widmerpoole
Russell M, Director of Operations at Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2013

Thank you very much for your feedback further to your recent stay - I am delighted to read that we are your hotel of choice in Birmingham - we make every effort to ensure all of our guests enjoy their stay and we never grow tired of hearing positive feedback, thank you once again.

You are correct in regard to the New Street train station exit, the easiest way to find us is by exiting the station via the Hill Street exit, we are literally a 3 minute walk from there.

We look forward to seeing you at our hotel again very soon

Warm regards.

Reviewed 5 July 2013

Stayed here overnight for my daughters birthday at her request having frequently passed by this familiar Birmingham landmark.This hotel is an easy walk from New Street train station.I chose this hotel partly because of the ability to prebook twin rooms and the free wifi.Check in was immediately uninspiring when I was told the room was still being cleaned despite it being 6.15pm.I had reserved a twin room but was given a double and frustratingly this took 3 hours to rectify.The room was bright and clean but the decor is dated.The beds were soft with springy mattresses.The shower was over the bath and was hot but difficult to control the temperature.Sumputous looking toiletries but on closer inspection 2 conditioners and no shampoo.The free wifi worked well. Disappointingly the gym and spa were closed for refurbishment until July 2.Weekend guests beware though unless the hours change with the new facility the gym closes at 6pm Saturday and is not open on Sunday.The hotel was saved by its food.We had an excellent dinner in the Filini Restaurant with friendly personable service overlooking the Holloway Circus Queensway roundabout where we have sat previously in many a traffic jam.The food was full of flavour and beautifully presented . My daughter's dessert plate was decorated with Happy Birthday which was a special touch and a delightful surprise.The breakfast buffet was quite extensive with a choice of 6 juices, 2 kinds of sausage and black pudding in addition to the usual hotel hot fare.The pastries were fresh and crisp.Gluten free bread was available on request as were nutella pots to the satisfaction of my young daughter. Check out was efficient and instant. There are plenty other hotels in Birmingham centre which are better value for money with better service and rooms.I probably would not stay here again but would revisit the restaurant.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for your feedback further to your recent stay - Please accept my sincere apologies for the issues encountered at check-in and in regard to your bathroom amenities, oversights on our behalf which have been followed up on with our executive housekeeper; rest assured this will not occur again.

I'm delighted to read that your visit to our Filini restaurant was a lot more pleasurable, our team work extremely hard to create positively memorable experiences for all our guests and it's great to read that you enjoyed it so much that you would return, this is a great success! The restaurant and kitchen teams were very overjoyed to read your comments which only motivates them to continue to improve further - our new menu was launched last week so we hope you come back soon and we would welcome your feedback.

Disappointing to read that you wouldn't stay with us again, at your convenience please can you contact me at the hotel as I would welcome the opportunity to discuss this with you.

Russell Markou.

Reviewed 3 July 2013

Stayed for one night to combine a shopping trip and a concert at the NEC.
Wrong location for the NEC - £20 in a taxi to the venue but the Bull Ring shopping centre was just a 5 minute walk away.
Check in was ok despite being given a double when I had booked a twin, upgraded to business suite for free by way of apology.
Offered a smoking room (floor 12) but declined in favour of upgrade.
Room was on 17th floor looking out onto the centre (roundabout) great for people watching! Room was clean, comfortable and quiet.
Breakfast delivered to room for tray charge of £3.50 but unfortunately it was nothing to write home about.
Hotel bar is pricey and was quite busy so atmosphere was good. Shuts for residents at midnight.
Check out was fast and NCP parking ticket was validated and cost £14 instead of £24 for 24 hours: they even allowed us to leave the car there whilst we went shopping and then validated the ticket again on our return 4 hours later with no extra charge.

Room Tip: Higher floors facing the road have better views and less noise Floor 12 for smokers
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Russell M, Director of Operations at Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2013

Many thanks for your review of our hotel.

I'm really pleased to read that overall you had a pleasant stay with us - please accept our apologies for the incorrect room type being allocated, I'm happy to see that our team resolved this to your satisfaction and I sincerely hope this caused you minimal inconvenience.

In regard to the bar closing at midnight for residents; if there is a demand from our guests then we are licenced to keep our lobby bar open until our guests decide to retire for the evening, however, our bar which adjoins the restaurant on the 1st floor closes at midnight.

Thank you once again for taking the time to review our hotel and we look forward to hosting you again when your travels bring you to Birmingham in future.

Warm regards.

Reviewed 1 July 2013

This hotel is wonderfully positioned for some great Birmingham nightlife including Chinatown and Broad Street. The bar area is totally anodyne with no atmosphere but the rooms and bathrooms are very comfortable. Parking is very close by in an NCP but it cost me £23 from 7pm on a Saturday night until 6.15am on the Sunday - no concession for hotel guests. The biggest downer for me is a common problem these days. Untrained reception staff with not very good English. Coupled to that there appeared to be a very complex booking in system that involved more computer key strokes than I've ever seen (and we were pre booked). A full twenty five minutes to check in myself and four others and nearly the same to check out. I was settling the bill for everyone so it wasn't because of there having to be five transactions. All in all, an average hotel but very handy for the city centre so I may use it again. I was on the fifth floor and near some sort of engine room but was so tired that I was only aware of it just before nodding off and immediatley on waking so it was not a problem this time but I would ask for a much higher room next time.

Room Tip: Go as high as you can to avoid noise
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our hotel following your recent stay.

Please accept my apologies for the frustrations you experienced during the check-in and check-out procedures. We take pride in the efficiency and speed in which our staff are able to carry out these procedures so it comes as a surprise to read your comments, rest assured your feedback has been taken on board and communicated to the front office team.

All of our guests are entitled to benefit from the discounted rates we offer for overnight parking at the adjacent NCP car park - this is at the rate of £14 for 24 hours.

We would be delighted to see you at our hotel again in future, the next time you plan to stay please feel free to get in touch and I will guarantee you a high floor with great views of our city.

Hope to see you very soon.