“Comfortable stay in modern decor”

Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham
Ranked #63 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 27 September 2013 via mobile

Comfortable stay in modern stylish room with reasonable space and good bathroom. Also very good quality breakfast. Friendly staff overall but reception staff could use training in systems as had to ask for help both when checking in and checking out

• Stayed: September 2013
Write a ReviewReviews (2,368)

Reviewed 23 September 2013

Stopped here on a Sunday having just got back into Birmingham from a flight from Chicago. We went to check in early and thankfully there was a room available. We stopped in the business suite, which was very spacious, the room was comfortable and the view of parts of Brum were good despite being low down. The location is also brilliant, it is within alking distances of Broad St, The Bullring and New St station, so in prime location.
The hotel is very smart and has a good ambiance to it, the hotel abr aswell is good.
Wifi is free of charge, and if in the business suite, the breakfast is free. I only had cereals, but my partner who had scrambled eggs, sausage and cappucinio was very complimentary about it.
Considering we only paid £45 for the night, it is hard to pick any faults with the hotel, other then the lack of parking, this is a problem in most cities so not a lot can be done. Will definitely return in the future.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 September 2013

I travel plenty for work and am always staying in Hotels around the country. This Hotel was a big let down - the most important thing for me when I'm away from home is that I get a good nights rest and a smile in the morning, I got neither.

The rooms are large but the decor will not be to everyone's taste and the lighting is poor.

The 'king size bed' is actually two very uncomfortable singles pushed together. Pillows are not to an acceptable standard at all.

I had room service and the food was good, service timely with my server incredibly friendly. This is the only instance where I was satisfied with the staff and level of service.

Breakfast had a good selection of continental items but for the price hot breakfast should really be cooked to order not served on a buffet - yuck! Their servers are sullen and curt.

With the exception of the location - 5 mins from New Str Station - you'd be better off staying in a 4* independently owned B&B. I'm pleased I only had to stay one night.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 18 September 2013

Been here a few times, each time the quality has slipped a little. I can suffer a grubby carpet, ageing tv and the like but the last time I was here I did notice the bed was pretty knackered, it kind of felt like an old fashioned water bed...! But this most recent stay, it's like lying on a ski slope, an absolute outrage of a bed and surely it was due for replacement a long time ago.

Everything else about the hotel is average I guess, nothing fantastic but nothing else horrible, but I use a hotel to sleep in, I managed 30 minutes and cancelled my second night. I've slept on floors, on sofas, in tents without a lilo, even in the back of transit vans but I have never have been more uncomfortable in my life. I don't really care about floor coverings, pictures, the colour of curtains, just give me a decent bed.

Result is that despite a good location and competitive price, I will never come back again.

Room Tip: Test the bed before you take the room!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank FamilyH68
Russell M, Director of Operations at Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2013

Very sorry you read of your disappointment regarding your bed - I know this was discussed at check out and we offered you a room move to which you declined. I have personally checked the bed and agree it is soft but we have a variety of mattress types to suit guest preferences - Please can you contact me at the hotel as I would like to get you back to our hotel and into a room that suits your needs - 0121 654 6000.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Warm regards,

Russell Markou
Director of Operations

Reviewed 18 September 2013

We read the reviews before we booked a last minute trip saying the hotel was tired etc, but decided to make a visit anyway. We were greeted on reception by such a helpful man. Apologies if we have remembered wrongly, but we think his name was Martin. Nothing was too much trouble for him. He told us he wants to be a concierge and would be truly fantastic at the job. We had asked for a corner club class room and were allocated this. The views were amazing. Ok, the room was a little tired but not at all bad. Such a comfy bed! The only gripe we would have would be on retiring to bed we found several extremely long black hairs on and in the bed. The previous guest or housekeeping plainly had really long hair!! Also one of the bath towels was badly stained. We were too tired to do anything about it at night but did mention it in the morning. Breakfast was really good as was the location.

Room Tip: A corner club class room has amazing views.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 September 2013

I honestly thought this hotel was quite average...
We stayed here for Valentines Day last year, and the hotel itself is very nicely decorated.
The room was average, not any better than a Holiday Inn or similar.
The staff were ok at best...not the politest and not rude either.
The breakfast was very nice, good selection and the food seemed to be of a decent quality which to be fair you would expect from a hotel charging around £90 for one night.
The location is what sells it though I think, slap bang in the middle of Birmingham with easy access to all different tourist attractions and on top of one of the main roads going in and out of the city.
Overall, I would stay again just not for the price I paid for it first time around!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank browneyedowl
Reviewed 17 September 2013

Excellent location in the heart of Birmingham city. Only about 3 mins walk from new st. station. 2 mins walk to China town, Hippodromemore, New Alexandra Theatre. There're so many great restaurant in China town.

Living in this hotel makes my business trip so easy. It's like living in new st. train station. It only took me 3 mins walk from hotel entrance to self service ticket machine in new st. station.

The modern design of this building is terrific. I really enjoyed view of my room which shows Birmingham's skyline.

It could be more convenient after the new new st. station conversion project finished, there will be a huge john lewis store just behind the hotel. Very impressive overall.

Would be an excellent choice if you don't want to run for your train. :D

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business