“Just what I needed and great value with Trivago”

Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham
Ranked #74 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Yorkshire
“Just what I needed and great value with Trivago”
Reviewed 8 October 2013

I stayed at the Radisson Blu the night a business conference at the Crown Plaza. Last year I made the mistake of booking a budget hotel which was so pokey that I resented paying even the budget price. I found a room in the Radisson for £78 on Trivago for bed and breakfast.

Upon arrival I parked in the NCP car park behind the hotel for which you get a discounted rate of £14 rather than £24 for 24 hours. The reception staff were friendly and welcoming and put me into a room on the 9th floor. The room was very impressive with floor to ceiling windows and so a good view over central Birmingham. The room was spacious and nicely decorated with bright coloured features. The mini bar had alcoholic and soft drinks in and various nibbles (not free though of course). Complimentary drinks tray with full size mugs - I hate when you get those tiny little cups that you can't even hold properly with your finger through the handle! Nice clean bathroom with toiletries. I noticed that there was no English tea - this must have been an oversight as there was coffee, decaf coffee, earl grey, hot chocolate but no normal tea, so I called into reception and housekeeping popped along to the room within a couple of minutes with a handful of English tea. I think she must have ran!

I nipped up to the gym on the 18th floor, it is a very small gym with just a handful of cardio equipment and a basic weights machine, no free weights or anything. But it is free to use and was empty when I arrived at 5pm, so no struggle to get on what I wanted!

I ate in the hotel restaurant which was lovely, I chose from the set menu which was £16.95 for two courses, very good value and the food was very nice. Nice atmosphere and good service too. Similarly breakfast was really good, full English buffet style with the options of toast or cereal etc.

I slept very well, nice comfortable bed and I didn't hear a thing from other rooms, I could have been the only guest it was so quiet!

I would definitely recommend this hotel to others, I would see it perfectly acceptable for either business or pleasure.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Russell M, Director of Operations at Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham, responded to this review, 12 October 2013
A delight to read your great review of our hotel.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience - we hope that this means we will be seeing you a lot more in future.

Until then, have a great weekend and start to your new week ahead.

Director of Operations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (476)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 October 2013

We chose this hotel because of it's location, it is so conveniently situated being less than a few minutes walk away from New Street station. We stayed Business class on the seventh floor with wonderful views of Birmingham.

Our room was very modern and roomy, i'd say i'm very picky however the room was clean with no nasty surprises and the whole floor smelt clean and fresh.

Room service is excellent and every time i called the staff who were polite and enthusiastic to help rather than going through the motions (Not something you can say often nowadays). The food was of a higher standard both well prepared and presented.

As the previous review mentions the Fire Alarm went off at around 05.15 on Sunday mourning causing extreme anxiety to both myself and fiance. We all funneled our way down the staircase while firefighters were running up fully equipped, it was quite scary but the staircase was very well lit which made a big difference,

We had the piece of mind to take our valuables with us so when we ended up outside directly at the front of the hotel with no idea of what was going on we became very nervous. As previously mentioned in the review below it seemed no one was in charge or any authority guiding us what to do(Although there were several staff in High Res Jackets). We didn't feel comfortable just standing outside the front of the hotel as from a safety point of view normally you move away from a building that could be on fire. We were reluctant to wander of on our own at time time in morning though so we stood by the traffic lights. Eventually we were told that the holiday inn was offering shelter so we went and managed to get a hot drink. A short time later word spread we could go back to our room.

The queue for the main elevator was very long so when a member of staff advised us we could use the service elevator we were back in our room before we knew it.

We both stayed up and went for breakfast at 7am as we couldn't sleep, Majec (The Waiter at Breakfast)advised they were behind with cooking because of the fire alarm but made a real effort as we only wanted veggie sausages which were really nicely cooked fresh. We were two of about 6 people who went for breakfast so thought it quite funny everyone else must have just gone back to sleep !

The service provided by the staff was excellent with that little button on the phones that says 100% satisfaction ringing truth!

We will definitely be returning but wondered if there would be any sort of compensation because of the Disturbance on Sunday mourning which ruined our last night and next day, we were so tired all day and did not enjoy Birmingham as much as we should of on Sunday.

Room Tip: Ask for a High room to avoid noise with corner rooms on the left of each floor having stunning views...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rachel G
Many thanks for your great 5* rating of our hotel!

So very pleasing to read that you enjoyed your room and that you felt the staff service levels were to a very high level - this is the feedback we love to hear, after all great service with a smile costs nothing but goes a long way.

In terms of the fire alarm, thank you very much for your cooperation during this time, thankfully and most importantly everyone made it out of the building safely and were back inside once the fire service checked it was safe to do so.

Your kind words regarding Maciej have been shared with him, you should have the seen the smile across his face when he heard this - thank you for this lovely feedback, it goes a long way with our team!

Please feel free to contact me at the hotel should you wish to discuss any other aspect of your stay, in the meantime we look forward to welcoming you back to us soon.

Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 October 2013

Clean, comfortable, convenient. Nice large room. Parking is nearby but could be made easier for guests to enter and exit as I believe there is a back door that staff have access to who don't always actually allow guests to use it. This I think should be swipe controlled for getting to and from the car park. Parking's not free, but this is made clear and you will need to get the ticket, taken at the barrier of St Judes Passage, validated at reception. This will allow exit at the car park barrier which is charged to your room.

Unfortunately the Saturday night I was there the fire alarm went off at around 5am (didn't have my watch on) and we were all evacuated. I was in sleepwear as we all were and it was cold. I understand staff - who WERE working hard - are going to have an awful time of it, but there seemed to be no cohesion to evacuation plans. Guests were milling around with no instruction or updates which was dangerous. We were all shivering and though the staff were handing out flip-flops to the barefooted (me included briefly but took trainers with me) and foil blankets. This was hit and miss and whilst they were checking names against rooms, they missed me twice. After well over an hour we were permitted back in again.

Night staff WERE working hard, but lack of cohesion seemed to be the main problem. The hotel was not full from what I could see, had it been full it would have been much worse: there needs to be firm control by shepherding/corralling guests at least for a headcount. They do have a megaphone, they should have used it at the fire escape exit to corral us all, at least for the headcount and distribution of and blankets/flip-flops as we were all wandering about aimlessly.

The Holiday Inn opened its foyer with hot drinks for those who wanted them but again this split us more and more since Radisson by then had reopened its own foyer. So now there were at least 3 groups - one each of the two foyers of adjoining hotels and one more outside the hotel.

So, night staff were working hard, but perhaps could have made things easier on themselves and us.

I will be staying there again by the way.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank onesometraveller
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our hotel following your stay last weekend.

We are currently looking into the feasibility of having the rear access to the hotel accessible for guests on a swipe card system; however, we have to consider many factors as the rear part of the hotel is also the delivery area so at present it is not ideal in terms of first impression for our non-regular guests. Whilst talking about the car park, it is important for guests to note that they can benefit from a reduced 24 hour rate which is £14 rather than the full charge for non-guests of £24 - be sure to validate tickets at reception during check-out.

In terms of the full evacuation at 5am last Sunday, naturally there is never a good time to evacuate the building but we appreciate that at this time on Sunday morning it probably couldn't have been worse, we were at full occupancy also - we had a situation where a large number of guests refused to leave the hotel lobby and follow the correct procedures and to make their way to the fire evacuation point, the fire service were already on the scene and as they were satisfied that there was no risk of danger to guests within the lobby they allowed them to remain, the knock-on effect was that our staff were then split between the hotel lobby and the evacuation point. Fortunately everyone was safe and once the chief fire officer confirmed it was safe to return into the hotel everyone was back in within a reasonable time.

I would like to add that despite the inconvenience of the time of the alarm, the majority of our guests were very understanding and we would like to thank everyone for their cooperation.

I'm delighted to see that you will be returning to stay with us in future, despite the alarm it is great to see that all other aspects of your stay were to your satisfaction.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back to us soon.

Mumbai, India
Reviewed 5 October 2013

Okay hotel. I had a nice view of the round about and city. Reception looks little sad. Staff was nice and helpful. Location of hotel is good. The room was good and nicely decorated. Breakfast was okay, do not remember anything that was awesome. They did have number of choices but taste was okay.

I stayed for 3 days in the hotel. Wifi was decent.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
Many thanks for your recent review of our hotel.

We are very fortunate to be located very close to New Street train station and it's always good to read that this is beneficial for our guests - the entire train station is undergoing a re-development and by next year the new entrance to the station will be even closer to our hotel making it even easier for our guests to find us.

I hope you visit us again in future as I would like to ensure you leave us with a more positive feeling than your recent stay - please feel free to contact me at the hotel should you wish to provide more detailed feedback about your experience, for us it is very important to know - 0121 654 6000.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 October 2013

I have stayed at this hotel a few times, although not recently before my last visit in September 2013.

A double room was booked via an agent website and upon arrival we were efficiently told that our booking had just been logged on the hotel's system. Excellent!

We were given a room on the 15th floor, to my surprise was a twin room with two single beds. Not a major issue, although I did mention to staff that they didn't provide me with the product paid for and expected. They promptly arranged to zip the beds together.

Having a nose around the room, it wasn't up to the high standard that I remembered, dirty marks throughout and torn bed linen (later discovered). The room was generally untidy and looks as if it required a good clean and a lick of paint. Quite tatty overall.

My biggest gripe was that upon entering the bathroom, minus the bath we had been placed in a disabled room. Not happy and having checked in late for a night out in town, I didn't have the time to make a further complaint about the rubbish room. One to watch, they don't appear upfront about changes that I feel are important to your booking.

Now, we have booked again for tomorrow (Saturday 5/10/2013) and we are looking to give this place another chance in an attempt to redeem itself. We shall see.

I was a little disappointed to be fair, but we shall see if Saturday works out better. Fingers crossed! They also charged me for an item that I never had from the minibar, but I let that one slide!!

If the price is cheap, I'd say it's a fair stay, but I certainly wouldn't pay £100+ for the tatty rooms that they provide.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review of our hotel following your recent stay.

Very sorry to read that the room was not up to the standard you expected, I can assure you that this does not represent a typical room within our hotel - I contacted my team shortly after you posted your review and I sincerely hope that you were happy with the alternative room arranged, perhaps you could call me at your convenience to discuss - 0121 654 6000. We are in the process of completing the full re-decoration of all guest rooms; this will be fully complete very soon.

We have a variety of room types available for guests and these include accessible rooms which are designed for guests who require assistance with access, occasionally on peak nights a small number of these rooms may be the only rooms available late evening - however we often receive requests for these rooms for guests who prefer to have a walk-in shower rather than a bath - please accept our apologies for this room type not being to your satisfaction.

Thank you again for your feedback and I hope to hear from you soon.

Director of Operations

Travellers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

Armadale, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 October 2013

Have stayed at this hotel now quite a few times and loved it, but when we checked in on the sat we were disappointed to be told that all suites had been booked much too our surprise since we had already pre-paid for one. We were down graded to a business room which was nice and very big but it certainly wasn't what we paid for. Staff informed us that we would get the suite on sunday which we did but after breakfast we went to check when we could get into the suite we were informed it would take at least an hour and half to clean, staff offered to move our bags for us since we were going out and couldn't wait until the room was cleaned. The suite was lovely when we returned to hotel we loved it but we just felt that because we didn't get into the suite until late and were checking out the next day we didn't really get to enjoy it the same as much as we would have for the 2 nights. At check in I mentioned to the woman about what they would do to reimburce since I had paid for a suite and business room was cheaper, I was told they would look into it but no one approached me about that I had to ask again when checking out and told i would only get 20% back on the sat night.

Since this was the first time we booked the suite it was very disappointing and make us question where to stay on future trips to Birmingham .

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Russell M, Director of Operations at Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham, responded to this review, 3 October 2013
Thank you for your review of our hotel following your recent stay.

Please accept my apologies for not providing you with the room you requested. Unfortunately due to a system error the suites became over booked, this is not a typical occurrence I assure you.

You are absolutely correct in that a reimbursement is due to you because of the room downgrade, please contact me at the hotel to arrange for this - 0121 654 6000. I'm very sorry this wasn't actioned prior to your departure.

I'm pleased to read that all other aspects of your stay were to your satisfaction and I would be very interested in hearing from you should you wish to stay in Birmingham again, I'm certain we can provide you with a much more positive experience.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Sheffield
Reviewed 30 September 2013 via mobile

I have stayed in loads of hotels up & down the country with a good few 5* & the customer service here was well up there.

We arrived really tired & staff carried our cases in from the car and helped us with parking, we were running late to the theatre so staff phoned the Hippodrome for us to explain.

We came back after 12 & the concierge helped us in the lift & offered to take them to the room but we declined as we were fine. The rooms were stunning we had connecting rooms with beautiful views & top spec bathroom. Lots of amenities were provided, trouser press, iron, hair dryer, mini bar.

Every member of staff I saw from the maid to the maintenance man made an effort to say hello & ask if I was enjoying my stay which I haven't come across in many hotels!

I would love to stay here again it was a great experience & a good price for what you get!

• Stayed September 2013
Russell M, Director of Operations at Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham, responded to this review, 2 October 2013
Thank you very much for your great review of our hotel!

It was really pleasing for the team to read such lovely comments from you and more pleasing to read that they made such a positive impact on your stay - we are firm believers in providing the best service for our guests, a smile and a warm welcome costs nothing but goes a long way - feedback such as yours only enhances the teams desire to aim to please our guests even more, therefore, it really is appreciated.

We look forward to welcoming you back to us very soon.