“Better than expected”

Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham
Ranked #63 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 23 October 2013

Really friendly staff on check in, room was a good size with a great view (9th floor) a little dated but nothing to moan about, very clean and comfy bed. Breakfast was of a good quality but still a tad over priced as was the bar. All in all a good stay and would stay again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Russell M, Director of Operations at Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2013

Many thanks for your review of our hotel.

Delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay so much that you would stay again!

Next time you stay don't hesitate to ask about our special breakfast promotion at check-in.

We look forward to welcoming you back to us very soon.

Director of Operations

Write a ReviewReviews (2,368)

Reviewed 21 October 2013

After our last visit I spoke with a Manager at the hotel who said if I were to stay again I would be given an upgraded room and be able to see how good they were. He had explained that they were in the process of upgrading all the rooms so we gave the place another chance.

After checking in we found the room we were given was identical in the same state as the last one we had stayed in except that it had a coffee machine, (we don't drink coffee) I called down to reception and informed them that I was unhappy with the room. We had booked a massage at the Spa so had to go for that before viewing the room they then moved us to. When we did see the next room it was a good bit larger than the last one but still the carpet and furnishings were tired. The chairs in the room were both very uncomfortable and coupled with the overly soft mattress on the bed have resulted in us both having sore backs. Again the door handle in the bathroom was loose (I have to assume there is an issue with all of them) it actually fell off when used on our last morning. There was a foul smell from the sink drain in the bathroom as well as a lot of faulty towers style plumbing noises. Will be staying elsewhere from now on.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Russell M, Director of Operations at Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2013

Very sorry to read your disappointing review.

Please contact me at the hotel at your earliest convenience - 0121 654 6000.

Reviewed 20 October 2013

The radius son is pretty much the same as every other radius son hotel although I think the staff is very good and tries very hard. I have stayed here one night and had a fabulous meal in the restaurant which I can only recommended, although it is not on the cheap side. The room I stayed in was good. It was clean and had a comfortable bed. I had always come here for a sort of presentation of the hotel to gain more business. We were shown one of the suites which was rather bad. It looked used and a little empty and not very well thought through. The shower also had cracked tiles. The staff was very good though.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business

Thank you for your review of our hotel following your recent stay.

Delighted to read your comments regarding our staff, they certainly work very hard to make our guests happy so it's a great pleasure to read your feedback, also very pleasing to read that you enjoyed our Filini restaurant, our Executive chef was very happy that you enjoyed your experience!

We at Radisson Blu hope to welcome you back very soon!

Reviewed 20 October 2013

First impressions count. None more so that the reception staff refusing to talk to me because I'm in a wheelchair, and instead talking to my partner. Not only did he not acknowledge my existence, but to make matters worse, what he was talking to my partner about was the evacuation plan for disabled customers, and the accessible facilities within the room. When I eventually interrupted to make the point that "I am here you know, and I can understand you. Given you're talking about me, perhaps you could talk to me", the receptionist vaguely apologised, before making matters worse by explaining that he had not spoken to me because he "thought it would be easier" to tell my partner everything I needed to know. I cannot believe that in this day and age, a luxury hotel can display such disgusting discrimination towards disabled customers.
At a hotel, sleep also counts. The bed was lumpy and overly bouncy/springy. Worse still, the room was at the back of the hotel, above an extremely loud generator/power plant, with the result that I barely got any sleep, it was so loud. I don't pay that amount of money for a hotel (it wasn't cheap, just shy of £100) to be insulted and not to get any sleep. I've stayed at other Radisson Blu hotels, but this experience is likely to lose me as a customer.

Room Tip: Avoid the back of the hotel like the plague. Don't go there at all if you're disabled and ex...
1  Thank EMMAK54
Russell M, Director of Operations at Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2013

Thank you for your review of our hotel following your recent stay.

First and foremost please accept our sincere apologies for the way you felt regarding your check-in experience - I can assure you that we do not discriminate against our disabled guests and this can be confirmed by our regular guests who use wheelchairs who are delighted with the service and facilities we provide, I will be speaking to my colleague who checked you in to ensure that your comments are taken on board for future reference. We do not tolerate any form of discriminatory behaviour in any of our hotels worldwide and we take great pride in treating everyone as equal. Again, please accept our apologies for any discomfort caused.

Regarding above and the other points in your review, I would very much appreciate it if you could contact me at the hotel to discuss, I can be contacted on 0121 654 6000.

I sincerely hope to hear from you soon.

Reviewed 19 October 2013 via mobile

Nice rooms, very good staff. Shame about the poor view over a carpark when I requested one of the Chinese monument and edgebaston. Nothing spectular but we did get a cheap deal so can't complain too much. Didnt have breakfast so can't rate. Great location!

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends

Many thanks for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us.

Very sorry we couldn't provide you with the view you requested, we try our very best to provide guests with the view they prefer but due to high occupancy on certain days this is not always possible, however, you have my details so please don't hesitate to contact me in advance should you choose to stay with us again and I will allocate you a room with the best available view - next time you must try our Super Breakfast Buffet, look out for the special offer when you check-in!

We look forward to seeing you soon.

Reviewed 16 October 2013

My room is one of the disabled rooms in the back of the hotel, the carpet has some stains but otherwise the room is very comfortable, good lighting, decent desk for working (this is a business trip) and breakfast is good BUT there is a huge generator plant with a compressor and fan system at the back of the hotel which makes so much noise it prevents sleep - was moved up 8 floors to complete the second night but to exactly the same position within the floor so it did not really help - I will not be coming back to this hotel - tried it on a colleague's recommendation- will go back to my preferred option which has a more accessible car park and no noise issues

Room Tip: Do not take an even number at the back of the hotel if you have a choice
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for your review of our hotel - very sorry to read that you didn't get a good night sleep and disappointed to hear that you wouldn't choose to stay with us again as a result of this.

We have a range of rooms available to suit all guest needs, please contact me as I would appreciate the opportunity to allocate a different room during your next stay which I'm certain you will be satisfied with - 0121 654 6000.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Reviewed 15 October 2013

Stayed at this hotel as I was attending a work conference in Birmingham. The hotel was easily accessible from Birmingham New Street station. Check in was quick and hotel staff were polite.

The hotel is housed in a 39 storey glass skyscraper. You get a great view of the city from your room window. Some of the windows were decorated with blue "zebra stripes". I stayed in a standard double room on the 9th floor, which was large, clean and modern. There is very little interior hotel noise as it is well sound proofed. You therefore won't be disturbed by the sound of the nearby lifts or other guests, and can get a good nights sleep.

When I first accessed my room it took me a while to work out how to get the lights to turn on- just needed to put my key card into a wall slot.

Lots of coffee and tea packets and little milk cartons were available with a kettle. Shampoo, conditioner, soap, body lotion and a shower cap were supplied in the bathroom. An iron, hair dryer, pen and note pad were also provided.

Breakfast was standard English. This was a good hotel. Wouldn't mind staying here again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Selina C

Thank you for your review of our hotel.

Very pleased to read that we lived up to your expectations and even more pleased to read that you would like to stay with us again - We would be delighted to have you!

Until then....enjoy the rest of your week.