“Minor niggles” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #73 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Nottingham
“Minor niggles”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2013

On checking in at 5.30pm on a weekday evening had a longish wait due to only two reception staff being on duty. Checking out the next morning at 8.00am was much worse, a long queue stretching right across reception with just one member of staff on duty, however, another person did arrive to help. I am glad I had allowed plenty of time to catch my train that morning.
The room was average, slightly worn and tatty, but a good size and well equipped. The TV set up was poor, tuned to London so regional weather and travel news was not available - not very helpful when you are in Birmingham. it also suffered from interference so not pleasant to watch. The shower had a mind of it's own, and difficult to position correctly so the bathroom floor got soaked when showering.

All in all, just minor irritations, but on the plus side, the bedlinen was good quality, and the breakfast was excellent with a wide range of hot and cold food.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank HandSHawkins
Russell M, Director of Operations at Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham, responded to this review, 14 November 2013
Thank you for your review following your recent stay.

On behalf of the hotel please accept our sincere apologies for the delay to both check-in and check-out, I have discussed your comments with our front office manager who has assured me that this will not be repeated, we hope the delay didn't cause you too much inconvenience, particularly upon check-out.

In regard to your comments about the room; we are currently carrying out a soft refurbishment to all guest rooms which we hope will be completed by Christmas, this includes new carpets to a number of rooms, complete room re-decoration and replacement of shower heads within all bathrooms - we hope you get the chance to return in future to experience the improvements.

Really great to read that you liked the linen and enjoyed the wide range of options available on our Super Breakfast Buffett!

We hope to welcome you back to us very soon.

Director of Operations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (462)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Oxford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2013

Second stay at this hotel and this time we opted for a business class room. Have to say we were disappointed in the room. We had a good view over Birmingham,and the bathrobe, slippers and coffee machine were really nice to have. But the room felt very small and claustrophobic due to the one long window, especially in comparison to the room where we had stayed before which felt really spacious and had floor to ceiling windows right across the width of the room. We couldn't help but feel we'd been given a room that was usually used for single guests as we were one bathrobe missing and one side of the bed was much "saggier" than the other. It was also a little odd that one side of the bed had a matress protector and the other didn't. Neither did we receive the free newspaper as advertised on the website. The business class rate includes breakfast and that was great, lovely range of food and drinks.

We would stay again at the hotel. It has a great location and the staff are very nice but next time we won't be booking the business class room rate.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Russell M, Director of Operations at Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham, responded to this review, 1 November 2013
Many thanks for taking the time to post a review of our hotel following your recent stay.

Sorry to hear your room was not to your satisfaction. We have a variety of room shapes and sizes and we would of been more than happy to have offered you an alternative room had you highlighted this during your stay - many of our regular guests let us know their preferred room type and in many cases the actual room number, we always try to pre-allocate our guests to the rooms they like, so please don't hesitate in letting any member of our team know if you have a preference and we will take note of this for your next stay, we always aim to please.

Please accept our apologies regarding the newspaper - all guests who stay in our business class rooms or suites should be offered a choice of complimentary newspapers on check-in for delivery to the room early the next morning, I'm very sorry if you were not offered this during check-in and rest assured I will follow up with my reception team.

I sincerely hope to welcome you back to us soon, next time please let us know your preferred room.

Southampton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013

How this is a 4 star hotel I have no idea. Our room was absolutely horrible, I have stayed at better 2 star hotels! Our bathroom had mould in it and also a horrible damp smell. The bed was so uncomfortable and from where I was lying you could not see the tv it was so small. The finishings were very poor, the room obviously had not been maintained. There were stains on the carpet and marks on the walls with pain coming off the doors.
I ordered rooms service - chicken mayonaise sandwich with rocket. I got about 5 pieces of chicken on my sandwich with some other meat which to me looked like bacon. There was also no rocket in the sandwich, they had put lettuce in. I returned it and the gentleman said that the other meat was chicken and that is what roast chicken looks like! I have never seen chicken like that. he made me another sandwich and again had put letuce in. there was no apology and the whole sandwich tasted horrible. I could get a better sandwich at tescos.

Overall a horrible experience

Room Tip: Don't book here
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Russell M, Director of Operations at Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham, responded to this review, 31 October 2013
Thank you for your review of our hotel.

Please can you contact me at the hotel to discuss your comments as we have no record of your complaint on file - 0121 654 6000.

For us at Radisson Blu it is of paramount importance that we address issues or concerns raised to our attention during the guest stay with the aim of making it right to our guest's satisfaction.

I sincerely hope to hear from you very soon.

Director of Operations

Travellers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

Waterford
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights at end of October. Lovely hotel, rooms big & clean. Had a 15th floor room with a view over the city. This hotel is only 5 minutes walk from New Street train station & same to the Bullring Shopping Centre. the Bullring Centre & Markets have to be on the must see list.

This hotel is also about a 10 minute walk to Mailbox & Canal Area.

There's plenty of choice for breakfast and hotel serves breakfast til 12pm at weekends so handy for a lie in.

Overall this hotel is clean, modern and the bedrooms are nice, not too much outside noise considering it is close to a roundabout.

The bar area is a bit quiet but probably suits considering most people probably go out to the many bars & restaurants.

Definitely would stay here again.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Russell M, Director of Operations at Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham, responded to this review, 30 October 2013
Many thanks for taking the time to review our hotel following your recent stay.

We are very happy that you enjoyed our hotel and amenities and delighted to read that you will return.....we look forward to seeing you again!

Plymouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2013

Just had an overnight stay at the Radisson Blu.Have to say after reading some negative reviews I wasn't expecting to have such a pleasant stay.I had a great time here,so close to everything,lovely room,comfy bed,great Nespresso coffee machine all provided.Breakfast was excellent even providing gluten free bread etc for my daughter.Staff couldn't do enough for us whilst there,late checkout of 12 o clock and breakfast served till then made for a less rushed departure too.Will definitely return.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you very much for your great 5* review of our hotel following your recent stay!

We are delighted that you were happy with every aspect of your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back to us very soon!

Thank you once again.

Derby, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2013

Remember this is supposed to be a 4 Star, it is not by any means. Upon arrival it was like a budget airline treatment, no porters, rather sanitary treatment. Given one room pass and told its on the 16 floor somewhere. Upon arrival at the room the door lock didn't work, waited outside the room for ages to get in eventually, then the door lock failed on 5 more occasions. Found out that this is a common problem here. Appologies are fine, but it does not cut any ice when it's repeated endlessly. There are so many other things that there is not room here to mention, just to say, the management here need to visit their hotels oversea's to see how it's done. Finally, I speak from personal experience of running hotel groups, and holding MHCI ma.

Room Tip: Make sure it has been checked out first before you pay !
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review of our hotel, very sorry to read your headline regarding your stay.

We do have porters at the hotel at peak times, outside of these times our front office team members will absolutely offer their assistance where required, please accept our apologies if this was not offered to you upon arrival, I will of course follow up with my front office team.

In regard to your room number, in the interests of guest security we inform all guests at check-in of the floor on which their room is located and point out the room number on their room key card wallet, this is to ensure that other guests do not hear the actual room number being announced. On each floor there are directional signs to assist guests to their rooms, I can assure you that this is in the interests of guest security and privacy.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the issues experienced with your room lock, I completely understand how frustrating this must have been and on behalf of Radisson Blu I can't apologise enough. Fortunately this is not a common problem as can be seen from historic tripadvisor reviews, the problem has now been resolved.

Please can you contact me at the hotel as I would very much appreciate further feedback on the other issues that you refer to - 0121 654 6000.

I sincerely hope to hear from you soon.

Nottingham
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013

Stayed overnight. Award room was not what I expected - looks like they saved tired rooms for award nights... Coffee machine in B/Class room needed a good clean (which I did before using). No bathrobes in room (so had to call downstairs). Movies choice was ok though. Had a front view room on a high floor. Spent 20minutes watching a small group of druggie looking people that were hiding in the square island in front of the hotel (we could see them clearly from the high floor) injecting something into their arms and prancing about whilst they took it in turns to roll up their sleeves and inject their arms. I video'd it on my phone.. couldn't believe what I was seeing. It was around 5pm and clear day light. Not hotel's fault of course.. but something should be done / or they should report it really. Hotel reception was crowded but then again it was a Saturday. Reception area was clean. Staff were OK... service didn't stand out. Didn't eat there so can't comment on restaurant. I guess I just expected more from a premium award room really. After I cleaned the coffee machine, coffee was a nice luxury to have in the room! :o)

Room Tip: High floor rooms have good views of city.
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for posting your review of our hotel following your recent stay.

Many apologies for the condition of the coffee machine - I have followed up with our housekeeping department to ensure this is not repeated, there is no excuse for this and I sincerely hope that this didn't cause too much inconvenience. The missing bath robes was an oversight on our behalf and I can assure you that all business class rooms and suites are now stocked with bath robes.

We hope we get the opportunity to host you again in the near future.