“Good Breakfast and Location but Rooms need a Refurb”

Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham
Ranked #62 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 23 November 2013

Breakfast here has everything you could want and all served hot and very fresh.
However, the rooms are tired, stained carpets, torn duvet cover, worn furniture. No curtains, just fine voile which doesn't keep out the light, very strange for a hotel I thought. Very soft mattress and pillows. Mini bar had not been replenished from previous guests.
Staff were friendly and it's right in the city centre. The downside being that you get a lot of noise from the clubs and police sirens on a Friday and Saturday night, even on the 14th floor.
I wouldn't stay here again. I'd stayed at the Crowne Plaza before and would return there again instead.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet location at the back of the hotel
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
RoderickSmith, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 28 November 2013

Dear Bobby911,
Many thanks for your feedback, with your comments we can improve both product and service.
I have followed up personally all comments you have made.

In the particular room you stayed were curtains but they were pushed too far to the sides behind the fine voile, we make now sure that the curtains are clearly visible.
The minibars are not fully stocked anymore as in the past, we have amended the offereing based on customer demands, apologies that this gave the wrong impression.

Weekend is very noisy outside the hotel as we are city centre based, I can recommend to book a room at the back of the hotel where noise levels are signifcantly lower.
Please do not hesiate to contact me directly in case you wish to stay with us again.
Kind Regards,

Write a ReviewReviews (2,368)

Reviewed 22 November 2013 via mobile

I'm writing this review not as a complaint but just as a statement of the facts. I am a business traveler with a choice about where to stay - within a budget - and have often found Radisson Blu hotels to be good value. I'm sorry to say that the Birmingham hotel is way below the standards advertised and expected. As always it's a balanced story. The good points were the very friendly and efficient reception staff, who even managed to check me in early with a smile. And the bathroom was clean and spacious. On the downside, the hotel overall is very worn around the edges and my room in particular was terrible. I didn't request a room change because I was pretty sure all of them are as bad. I have uploaded some photos showing (1) a huge stain on the carpet (2) the broken lamp shades on both sides of the bed, which were torn and dented, and (3) a badly worn and stained seating area. Check into a new, budget hotel chain and you'll find something very bland but generally immaculate. Check in to this Radisson which still charges 4 star business rates and you'll be dismayed by how grubby it is. I'll be staying elsewhere in Birmingham until I hear that the entire hotel has been put right. I'm sure the management are crying our to improve things!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Dear Snowster007,
I would like to thank you for your review on Tripadvisor I can ensure you that all feedback has been taken extremely serious and will be followed up.
We apologies for the stains in the carpet, we start the replacement of these carpets mid december and continue with a further soft refurbishment late January for the exact reason you have highlighted.
I am very pleased to read that you were welcomed in the hotel with a smile and assited to the the required level, we spend a lot of time on staff training and together with the refurbishment I sincerely hope we can welcome you back.

Reviewed 20 November 2013

The Raddison is my hotel of choice when staying in Birmingham on Business. Whilst there is sometimes a queue when checking in, the staff are awlays polite and apologetic. I'm a light sleeper and hate external noise, so always e-mail the hotel in advance to ask for a room on a high floor and away from lifts and aircon units etc. Kindly they always accomadate my request. The 15/16/17 floors have super views across the city. Rooms are very nice and beds some of the best I've come across. So comfy............that i never want to get up in a morning. Bathroom spotless, but the water not always hot when you run a bath, however there is always the shower option. Toileteries super, sorry I don't leave them behind. A packet of biscuits would be nice and would qwell the arrival hunger. Bar clean and prices as you'd expect in a city centre hotel. Good choice at breakfast, fresh fruit, juice and the full help yourself English and more besides. Look forward to my next stay.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Dear Bridget419,
Many thanks for your lovey comments, I will ensure this shared with all our staff and I am personally looking forward welcoming you back.

Reviewed 17 November 2013

Having been told by the reception staff on the telephone, that we could park at the rear of the hotel in an NCP car park, and then enter through the rear door of the hotel, we waited and waited at the rear entrance for them to answer the buzzer and let us in. We were soon joined by other guests also wanting to enter, but eventually we all decided we would have to walk round the block to the main entrance. We asked the reception staff why they hadn't answered the buzzer for the back door, and they said they can't answer the buzzer if they are already dealing with guests in reception ! The toilets in the downstairs bar were disgusting. The room was tired and a bit knocked about.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
RoderickSmith, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2013

Dear Jackmurphy3,
Many thanks for reviewing our hotel on tripadvisor, your feedback is important to us.

I fully understand your frustration, as we would like to be at your best assistance we offer our guests the backdoor in order to avoid walking around the hotel, howver this is not common practice. As this was offered to you we should have been more alert and ensured you were able to use this door.

I have addressed your comments regarding the downstairs toilets there is absolutely no excuse.
We are undergoing in the coming two months a soft refurbishment in the majority of our bedrooms and we hope to welcome you back any time soon to show you the improved room status.

Reviewed 17 November 2013

My daughter and I decided to have a Christmas shopping trip to Birmingham and to see the German Christmas market at the same time. This hotel is very central for shopping only five minutes walk to the Bull Ring. There is a car park at the back of the hotel and although its quite expensive there is a deal with the hotel you just need to get them to validate your ticket before you return to pick your car up, and ask if you can be let out by the back door as its straight into the car park entrance, there are no signs for this you wiil need to ask. We had a bedroom that over looked the main road at the front, very good views but with floor to ceiling windows not for the faint hearted! The rooms are a decent size and the bed was comfortable but on the soft side, the bathroom is a good size but the fan ran constantly in our room and there was a faint whiff of drains, overall a very good hotel for what we wanted and I would certainely stay here again

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Stayed at this hotel as it was within walking distance of both New Street Station and The O2 Academy, literally two minutes walk from both locations.....

Booking in was quick and effective, and they offered me either a lower floor or higher floor room I like a good view so took a room on the 9th floor..... Room itself was a good size, clean and well laid out plus a great view over the City.....

I had dinner in the hotel which was good but very rushed, despite the restaurant being very quiet and early evening it felt like they wanted me out ASAP next course followed virtually as soon as the removed my previous course, giving me no time to relax between courses.....

Mind you they more than made up for my evening meal with a fantastic buffet breakfast in the morning......

All in all a great stay with on one minor quibble being that the free wifi is as slow as treacle......

Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 November 2013

I booked the Radisson Blue because it seemed like a good deal on Last Minute.com. What a mistake - I had to change my room because the first room supplied was dirty. The room I moved to the TV didn't work and when the maintenance man came he couldn't fix it and promised he would come back so it would be fixed for the next day. He didn't and it wasn't. When I complained at check out they took my details and said that the manager would be in touch - no contact was ever made. Its advertised on last minute as four star the same as the Hyatt - having stayed in both I can guarantee its not a patch on the Hyatt and should be given a lesser rating. In short shoddy service poor rooms and not worth the moeny.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Gordon A
Russell M, Director of Operations at Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2013

Thank you for posting your review of our hotel.

At your convenience can you please contact us at the hotel on 0121 654 6000 and ask to speak to Marie Wilcox-Perks as we do not have any records of your issues within our system.

We would very much appreciate a call from you so we can discuss a solution to your unsatisfactory stay.

We hope to hear from you very soon.

Warm regards,