“Rather underwhelming”

Ranked #74 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Penarth, South Wales
“Rather underwhelming”
Reviewed 10 December 2013

We regularly visit Birmingham and have stayed at quite a few different hotels in the city. The Radisson Blu looks impressive from street level and we have been considering staying in this 39 storey, glass fronted building since it opened a few years ago. Our room was on a high floor, so we had a panoramic view of Birmingham from the huge windows; the decor is clean and modern. On first impression, this is a very nice hotel, but it would benefit from a few touch-ups in places, especially to some of the furniture in the room. The hotel is in an excellent location and was very convenient for us to get to the gay village as well as for shopping and restaurants etc.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
RoderickSmith, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham, responded to this review, 12 December 2013
Dear AndrewJH
Many thanks for your feedback, with our guest feedback we can improve both product and service.
As per your review we commene next week the first stage of a refurbishment in the bedrooms and hope to have all bedrooms done by the end of the first quarter.
I sincerely hope you will stay with us again in the near future.
I wish you a Merry Christmas and a prosperous New Year.
Kind Regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (478)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Newport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 December 2013

The hotel is centrally located which is great - very friendly helpful staff on check in. The room was ok but rather tired looking - the pillows were horrendous far too soft . Bathroom was clean but also very tired looking. I thought it was rather over priced for what it was.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
RoderickSmith, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham, responded to this review, 10 December 2013
Dear Corinne P.
Many thanks for your comments, your feedback is important to us.
As from next week we are undergoing a refurbishment in the majority of the bedrooms, we had new pillows arriving early this week which will be now put in all the rooms.
I am sorry to hear that your stay was disappointing, we still hope to see you back soon in our improved and refurbished hotel.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 December 2013 via mobile

Over the years I have been to many a Christmas function and fully enjoyed the experience. However I can't say the same this year at this hotel. This is season of good will to all men pity this hotel has lost this concept when they charge a high price for drinks and for poor quality food that was also lacking in portion size. Staff seemed disorganised and lacking Christmas spirit. Thank goodness for our group because laughter was the only thing of any quality and in abundant supply.

• Stayed December 2013
RoderickSmith, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham, responded to this review, 9 December 2013
Dear John P,
Many thanks for reviewing our hotel on Tripadvisor.
As a hotel we always do our best to deliver guest satisfaction and I'm disappointed to read that you felt that our hotel didn't meet your Christmas requirements.
Our food and staff have always been an asset to our hotel and we are in a true Christmas spirit and looking forward too many more parties to come.
Kind Regards,

Travellers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 December 2013

Just returned from a 2 night stay. I must admit that I was slightly disappointed - I had expected so much more from the hotel. The location was great and I couldn't fault that. Our room was on the 9th floor and although I knew the hotel was located on a very busy road I wasn't prepared for the noise if the traffic - there was no let up day or night. There were a couple of parties on also during our stay and you could hear the music - yes - from the 9th floor. I had expected great soundproofing but this wasn't the case. The rooms weren't bad but carpets could do with a good clean. The bed only had I pillow each with. I spares. On day 2 we expected our refreshment tray to be restocked but it wasn't. There was no hand soap in the bathroom. These are just things I would expect in a hotel of this quality. We ordered room service on our 2nd night - just a pizza - again disappointing - base was hardly cooked. J had stayed earlier I the week at the malmaison at the mailbox, which had dreadful reviews, but I would prefer to return to the mailbox in future. Sorry Radisson Blu - I feel let down :(

• Stayed December 2013
Dear Julie T,
Many thanks for your review and I'm sorry to hear that your stay was slightly disappointing.
There are extra pillows in the wardrobe and you can always get an additional one through our one-touch service.
It's unfortunate with this time of year that the music is slightly on a higher volume, our hotel is hosting many Christmas parties and my sincere apologies that you could hear it on the 9th floor.

I have addressed the feedback regarding the food, in case you would visit the area again please do not hesiate to contact me directly in the hotel.
UK, MIDLANDS
Reviewed 8 December 2013

I was worried after reading the latest reviews and expecting the worse. I was pleasantly surprised. Reception staff were efficient. The room was spacious (although were given a disabled access room and that meant that had to be spacious). It was clean and the decoration was not offensive. Bed mattress on the soft side, but slept well. Tea and coffee facilities in the room, plus ironing facilities. Air conditioning a bit on the noisy side, but I could turn it off I imagine...Breakfast was very good offering what you would normally find in a 4 star hotel. Breakfast bar staff were also very good. The hotel is quite central. If I have to stay in Birmingham again and the price is 'right' I would probably stay again.

Room Tip: The spacious room I stayed was 1312, not the greatest views, but spacious. I was a bit off with the...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Dear Nikef2,
Many thanks for your great feedback, I can ensure you that I will share this with the team. We are looking forward welcoming you back any time soon.
Frodsham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 December 2013

Booked through late rooms as we were visiting friends celebrating anniversary, bed, breakfast and dinner package, stunning views over the City, First shock was to park the car in a run down back street NCP car park for a subsidised £14.00, no access to hotel so had a long walk around the buildings lugging suite cases up hill and down dale, just what you need after a 120 mile drive!

Into reception to be greeted with you have arrived early and no rooms are ready 1pm (just wanted to drop bags and meet friends for lunch) but now back tracking if we did not mind the 13th floor we could book in straight away, Ok! Oh by the way our restaurant is closed on a Sunday, what about our booked dinner package? You can either have it from our bar menu or room service! No thank you can we speak to your Manager please, short discussion receptionist to Manager by phone who fobbed her off to the restaurant Manager Alan Wilson who attended promptly and stated the restaurant was closed on a Sunday, yes, yes but the booking was accepted, well yes but you need to take it up with Late Rooms, err No it's with you, Ok we will book you a local restaurant of your choice, deduct £25 per person meal allowance from the final bill, book and pay for a taxi to and from the restaurant, excellent! (Restaurant reviewed elsewhere on Trip Advisor).

Our room on the 13th floor has a stunning view of the aircon units on the roof out side during daylight hours and in the night a green hew from the Holiday Inn sign, large room but very basic but had a magic mini bar which charged you for just opening the door (any vibration causes the contents to move)?

Breakfast showed that actually the restaurant being closed on Sunday was a blessing as the Food looked dried up, bacon inedible, sausages dried and horrible. Only cold slimy scrambled eggs, no other option available.

Location of the hotel is perfect, easily accessible to everything you can think of, Restaurant Manager Alan Wilson came up with the goods and as our bill was reduced to the minimum and the car parking complimentary, I would consider staying again but eating out!

Room Tip: Higher the better!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Steve C
Many thanks for your recent visit and feedback on Tripadvisor. We are grateful for your comments without feedback we can not improve our product and service.
The carpark as mentioned by our rservations department is ran by the NCP and we have been able to negotiate a deal. As a city centre hotel it's very difficult to offer on site parking, the NCP is a short stroll from the hotel.
We can not apologise enoufgh for the inconvenience of dinner, the offer is longer available and the hotel should have informed you accordingly, Allan Wilson was the manager on Duty who is in charge in amy absence.
Very unfortunate that you have not been able to experience our Italian restuarant, please contact me directly in case you wish to stay with us again in the near future.
Yorkshire
Reviewed 7 December 2013

My friend and I stayed here for the good food show at the end of November and having stayed at the London Radisson blu I thought we were in for a treat. The room looked fine, staff seems polite but there were a number of things which I must share with you. Only one pillow each! And so soft you might as well not bother. There were none in the cupboards so had to ring for more, breakfast was cold even though we were down early and before 7am. Food looked dried up, bacon inedible, sausages dried and horrible. Only slimy scrambled eggs, no other choice! Waitresses far too quick to tidy your plates even when one of you is still eating. We asked for a taxi to be booked and we stood and waited in reception. Eventually had to ask if it had actually been booked and the girl rang and said it would be here soon. I don't believe they had booked it. My biggest complaint and the main reason for this review is the fact that we spent the day out at the food show and returned to find our room as we left it. Beds unmade, towels on the floor, coffee and tea all drunk. No one had cleaned our room. I had to ring again and 10 minutes later a lad arrived with a vacuum. I'm not being funny but we were tired and wanted a shower and didn't want someone in our room cleaning so I asked for toilet rolls, clean towels and some more coffee and tea. We washed the mugs ourselves with water. I did bring this to the attention of reception but all I got was a sorry! I have emailed the hotel once and emailed the group twice and have had no response. I am appalled at the lack of customer service! I won't go back here and recommend you don't either. I stayed in a little bed and breakfast in Windermere that had better service, food and customer care than this 4 star hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Greenteaaddict,
Many thanks for your review and recent stay, my sincere apologies for the apparant ack of response, your written compalint have never reached the hotel.
Our Super breakfast is usually a great succes with the majority of our guests and is replenished reguarly, our Executive Chef is looking into this as this is not the feedback we usually get.
All the stay over rooms and new arrival rooms are cleaned on a daily basis and checked by a supervisor, unfortunately we are not allowed to enter the room when a do not disturb sign is up.
I can imagine that by the time you came back after a long day you didn't want a claner to clean your room.
Kinf=d Regards,