“A gorgeous room and excellent service”

Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham
Ranked #74 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
“A gorgeous room and excellent service”
Reviewed 19 December 2013

I stayed at the radisson blu in birmingham with friends for a hen night in the summer, the service we received from arrival to departure was fantastic.
The room was lovely with great views of the city and your breakfast is definately something to return for.
I work in the hotel trade myself and realise that people are quick enough to complain than compliment so
credit where credit is due!

many thanks, christina

• Stayed July 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (476)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
hereford
Reviewed 19 December 2013

Stayed for 1 night. Good location ( 4 minute walk to New Street station and 4 to 5 minutes for Broad Street)
The rooms were very clean and nicely decorated. Beds and pillows and sheets were some of the best I've slept in. The breakfast was superb (full buffet cooked and cereals, danish pastries etc) and the waiting staff here were fantastic.
The only negative I have is the hotel bar (opposite check in ) Although intimate its big enough for about 30 or 40 people. When I used it ( 10.30pm) there were about 12 people there. There was 1 person behind the bar and I was one of three waiting to be served. It took them over 10 minutes to eventually get round to me ( even though the two people in front of me only ordered 2 drinks each !! ) A second member of staff did eventually turn up, but too little too late.Overall though, a good place to stay

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Telford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 December 2013

We chose this hotel based on reviews, a spa facility and location. Arrived at our room and my initial thought was how stained the carpets are. When I sat down to untie my shoe laces and kick off my shoes, I noted long blond hairs on the carpet; a second looked revealed multiple types of human hairs and what looked like dogs hairs everywhere. I decided to have a cup of tea, only to find that the only tea provided was Earl Grey. Whilst on the subject of complimentary items: Why only one hot chocolate in a double room? Also, at the level of hotel the Raddison Group pitches itself, I would expect at least one complimentary bottle of water on arrival. The concerns regarding Housekeeping standards were not improved when I found an old toiletries bottle cap in the shower rack. On a positive note, the issues were sorted whilst we went for a walk around the local area.
Raddison management might say the fact we checked in early (by one hour) meant the room was not to standard, but we were offered a choice of 3 rooms , and they should not have been released if Houskeeping had not completed them.
As we were going to see Thriller (separate review) we decided to eat out early (Del Villaggio - separate review). The location is good for walking to most amenities, so this was a positive.
Breakfast on the first morning was a mixed bag, and confirmed that our decision to eat out was correct. Nice fruit and cold buffet. However, whilst the hot buffet looked nice, it was lukewarm; this issue was not helped by cold plates. The first plate presenter was empty, leaving some people looking for plates and others stretching to the rear plate presenter which obviously did not have its heating element turned on. The lids for these pieces of equipment had splashes of something on them. Again, at the level Raddison pitches itself, these issues should not feature. Good kitchen procedures would use smaller batch-cooking, ensure food probing maintained servery food temperature and ensure all equipment was clean. The plate presenters still had the same splashes on them the following day.
After visiting Christmas Market we decided to check out the spa. This hotel is advertised as a Spa Hotel but actually only has a sauna and showers, which are operated under separate management and is charged as an extra; a point that is not clear on the website, as the gym is inclusive. I have given the Pool rating Terrible because there is not a pool in a Spa hotel.
Based on the poor showing at breakfast we also ate out on the second night, and due to the heavy storms stayed close using the Royal Bengal across the road (separate review).
I raised my all of my concerns with reception on the first afternoon and got what I would describe as a neutral response: "you need to raise breakfast concern with the dining room staff", "I will look at the website wording", "I will raise your concerns with housekeeping". All direct quotes.
Sleep quality was okay, albeit the bed was too soft for my liking. We were on the 15th floor and the building does creak in high winds, it is like being on a small cabin cruiser. Some may find this disconcerting, as divers we found it quite calming.
Breakfast on the second day was an improvement, slightly warmer and hot plates. I am not sure if this was chance, my complaint or the fact that a Minor Celebrity and his camera toting sidekick were using the facility and filming.
Anecdote:
Minor Celeb to Sidekick: "Would you like another cup of coffee darling"
Sidekick: "Yes, that would be lovely"
Minor Celeb: "Get me one as well then"
What a gentleman.
Overall, I feel the standard provided was well below what it should have been and it was disappointing .

Room Tip: High rooms get views across the city (we were on the 15th floor). The odd numbers face across town g...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BobMarshall666
Halesowen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 December 2013

Great night in the Radisson Blu. Great location to access any part of Birmingham ! Got the train to centre & easy access to the hotel from train. Hotel was classy & well presented. Room was gorgeous & fantastic views of the city ! staff were helpful ! Thanks

Room Tip: Room was quiet & high up.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 December 2013

Stayed the night for a friend's hen night. Bride's room upgrade, complimentary drinks and staff very helpful and genuine. Manager could not be more pleasant and the hotel was spotless. Great view and hotel organised taxis for all members of party. Another hen night coming this year and no surprises where we will be stopping.

• Stayed June 2013
Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 December 2013

I have stayed at the Radisson Blu, Birmingham twice this year and will be again next weekend. I find that it is an ideal place to stay, a small walk from Birmingham New Street station and the city centre.

I found the reception staff very friendly and are quick to check me in as that is always one of my pet peeves with hotels. The hotel lobby is smart and clean and so were the corridors to my room. My rooms were perfect, clean and decorated well. My bed was very comfortable. I had use of a Nespresso Coffee maker as well as the normal tea / coffee making facilities and free Wifi. The bathroom was large with plenty of towels and complimentary bathroom products.

Breakfast was excellent, large range of hot and cold options and the staff are again very welcoming and friendly. Getting a taxi is easy from the hotel and there are shops nearby should you forget anything.

Definitely recommend this hotel for a city break as everything you need is on your doorstep.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Algorfa, Spain
Reviewed 18 December 2013

This hotel is perfectly situated for a city break. 2 minutes walk to the center but very peaceful and quiet. The facilities are excellent and the staff could not do enough for us. The room was large, clean and the bed was probably the most comfortable I have slept in away from home. We stayed on the 16th floor and the views were fantastic, I would highly recommend staying this Hotel for any trip to the City.

Room Tip: ask for a room on a higher floor for a fantastic view, especially at night !
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple