“Good location but in need of some attention.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham

Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham
Ranked #72 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Neath, United Kingdom
“Good location but in need of some attention.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2014

Booked a Standard room with King-size bed including breakfast for just under £70. Requested an early check in and our room was available on arrival at the hotel at 1pm which was great! The room (813) was a good size but a bit rough around the edges - marked furniture, stained carpet, the seal on the shower screen was grubby and didn't fit properly. We asked for the desk chair to be replaced as it was stained with what looked like curry and it was done straight away. Housekeeping could pay a bit more attention to detail - none of the pillows on the bed had the pillowcases fully on them - they had just been shoved part way in and placed on the bed but at least they were clean.
Our room overlooked Holloway Circus which is a very busy roundabout, there was some traffic noise but we didn't find this to be anything unusual for a city hotel.
Breakfast was buffet style and there was a good choice.
I would stay here again but only if the price was right, it was great value for what we paid and the location suited our needs on this visit.

Room Tip: If you want to avoid the traffic noise ask for a room at the rear of the hotel.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
MPerks, Front Office Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham, responded to this review, 3 February 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write your review and for the positive feedback. We are trying hard to improve our product with a soft refurbishment and soon will be refreshing all the room. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Radisson Blu Birmingham and should you need any assistance with your booking do let me know.

Marie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (461)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Mansfield, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2014

I had been looking forward to staying at this fantastic looking hotel since booking. Having walked past it dozens of times it gives the impression of being the best of the best.

I arrived late following a 17 hour day (9.20pm), Firstly my booking was mixed up, The receptionist was helpful and did his best to help me. I asked if I could eat in the restaurant and enquired as to its opening times, 11pm I was informed.

Great, I finally checked in and planned to join colleagues in the restuarant. The room was standard and clean, not as I'd expected from the pristine looking exterior, but I have stayed in worse. The bed was comfy and the room spacious enough.

I finally got to the restaurant at 9.35pm, after being ignored for ten minutes, I enquired with the waitress if I could order food to be told no the restuarant is now closed and last orders had passed. I relayed the information I had been told in reception and asked if she could help me.

She came back and told me I wasn't able to eat as the restaurant was closed as last orders had passed. However, I could have room service. I asked where this would be cooked to be informed it would be cooked in the same kitchen as the restaurant.

To keep my review from being long winded, eventually after much tooing and frowing from the kitchen, I was served in the restaurant. Lets say, I won't be recommending it to a friend. My meal consisted over cooked pasta and what appeared to be microwaved sausage. Although the sauce made it mildly bareable. To top it off when settling the bill they had added a service charge!!!

Breakfast the following morning was ok with service to match, apart from having to search through 10 plates to find a clean one.

On balance, this could be a fantasic hotel and it is stunning from the outside, what lets it down is the apathetic attitude that the staff who were present during my stay demonstrate.

I hate writing negative review but feel I have to share my experience.

Room Tip: I was informed higher floor rooms are better to escape traffic noise
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank buzz1981
RoderickSmith, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham, responded to this review, 14 February 2014
Dear Buzz1981,
Your experience was clearly not a possitive one and I am very disappointed that you had this experience with us.
We are accepting last orders until 10pm for our restaurant and therefore you should have been provided with the full and daily fresh menu., this is totally unacceptable from our site.
Our super breakfast has always been highly recommended by many of our guests, especially after a good night of sleep you should be provided with helpfull and cheerful service.
Clearly work to do on my part.
I hope you will be back any time soon and I can meet you in person.
Kind Regards,

Travellers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

Birmingham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2014

Me and my partner arrived at reception to check in but we couldn't as the booking we made the day before wasn't valid and wasn't on the system!! We had to take another 15 mins of our time to book the room for the second time even though we booked it the day before with the actual hotel itself.
When booking we got told they never had the room we originally booked so we had to be put in a disabled room at the same price.. We got into our room to see a noisy building site for our view so we asked for a city view too which we did get.. The only problem was the room they put us in was the room they said we couldn't have as they were all sold! Although it was the same price they said they had none left so they lied to us.
After the first 2 mistakes me and my partner settled In to our new room, next we had a phone call from reception telling me my mum was at reception so I said ok I will call her mobile to see what she wants as we were busy and didn't want to be disturbed. As soon as I put the hotel phone down my mum was knocking on my hotel door so I wasn't happy as I never gave my permission & the member of staff told his manager I did! Also I wasn't on good terms with my mum and she's now found out I'm gay and was sharing my room with my partner of the same sex so Im not happy!!
Our night was completely ruined and I was upset because of the amount of money we paid or the room!!
Yet all they have offered is a 2 hour late checkout & a small discount which I can have until next week!! I am not happy at all and will never pay to stay here again. All we wanted was an extra night here so they could prove they aren't a bad hotel but they can't do that even though they ruined our night.

• Stayed January 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
MPerks, Front Office Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham, responded to this review, 2 February 2014
Dear Mr Roberts
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We take all feedback whether it is good or bad on board as this helps us improve on the service. I would be grateful if you could contact me regarding your recent stay on 01216546000.
Malvern, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2014

Dreadful location, dreadful hotel. Excessive street noise in early hours, shortage of pillows, lack of accessories for 4star eg shower hair cap, bare wires on broken kettle, dirty wine glass, foul drain smells in bathroom, shower tap broken, shower screen lacking rubber seal. Need I say more? Reported when booking out, promised manager would contact, but never did. Not recommended at all, particularly as there are many more hotels in the city. Avoid!

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank David S
Dear David
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I was very disappointed to hear of the issues you had with us during your previous stay. I can only apologise that no one got back to you regarding your stay and will follow up with you directly.
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2014

Stayed on business and soon as the lights were off heard mice/rats scurrying around in roof space. Couldn't be bothered to change room by then and ended up realising this was a mistake when woken up at 3 in the morning again by the noise. Have never come across this in a major international hotel. WIFI free but so slow as to be pretty much useless so couldn't even get any work done while I listened to the rat olympics above my head.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank RIchard S
Dear Richard S,
We are very sorry for your disrupted stay, we can guarantee you that we have no rats/ mice in our hotel at all.
We have carried out a through investigation and in addition have called the pest control and no evidence of infestation.
Our hotel has a high standard of cleaning and we will keep up this high standard to avoid any debris which might attract infestation.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2014

This ought to be a flagship Birmingham hotel but I've stayed here a few times and am always left wanting. The leisure suite continues to disappoint. On my first visit the sauna never got above normal room temperature and subsequently it was closed. This evening I turned up at 5:45pm for a sauna to find the "last session" had already started and it would be closing at 6pm! 6!! Surely this is precisely the time many guests are returning from work and would dearly like to use these facilities? (Plus who ever heard of 'sessions' in a hotel sauna.
Add in lamentable toiletries, some decidedly poor electrics in the room and a bath (to replace the sauna!) that takes 30 minutes to fill and you're left feeling this is truly average.
I won't stay again and really feel you can get at least the same value for money - or a lot better - elsewhere.

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Rich60_5
RoderickSmith, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham, responded to this review, 29 January 2014
Dear Rich60_5,
Many thanks for your feedback, it will help us improving both product and service.
Since mid last year we have outsourced the 18th floor to Simply the Spa and they have taken over the responsability over the Sauna, as this needs to be supervised. I apologise for the inconvenience this may have caused you.
Radison Blu hotels have introduced a new toileteries as from this month branded This Works®, the natural product line created by Kathy Phillips, Creative Director of Condé Nast Asia and replaces the products you described.
I will be revisiting the time it takes the fill up the bath, I agree that 30 min is quite a long time.
We once again like to thank you for sharing your customer feedback with us.
Roderick
Worcester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2014

Stayed in December after coming for the Good Food Show. Having stayed at Radisson Blu hotel in Cologne, Germany i had a certain expectation of the hotel and room, and although its not quite as modern and tidy as the hotel in Germany and was more expensive, it also didnt include breakfast for the money paid. It was still a nice clean basic room, just really in need of updating.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple