“Radisson Blu Birmingham. Weekend stay”

Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham
Ranked #74 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Radisson Blu Birmingham. Weekend stay”
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Stayed for a weekend break in April. Warm friendly greeting from reception staff. Good central location with views over Birmingham. Convenient for station. Comfortable rooms, excellent service and breakfast, good value for money.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Radisson Blu Hotels

RoderickSmith, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
Dear Ewan Mr M,
Many thanks for your custom, it was great to have you as our guest and we hope to welcome you back any time soon.
Kind Regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (476)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Lincs
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Okay so location is fine - you can walk to all the main city attractions, the usual robe and toiletries, free wifi, adequate buffet and friendly staff. BUT - a terrible area. Parking is round the corner in a horrible NCP garage. I arrived as a lone female around midnight and the only thing the staff were interested in was having me move the car asap from the front where it was blocking taxis. They directed me to a horrible car park and I really didn't feel safe. Not impressed.
I would probably rather opt for Hyatt in future - where they offer car valet service!

Bar area is very small and in reception and the hotel itself is really noisy. I was on the 15th floor and was still woken by the sound of traffic and sirens. Gym is also really small and unimpressive.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel?
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear LincsPauline,
Many thanks for reviewing our hotel on Tripadvisor, your feedback is important to us.
Unfortunately the NCP carpark is sepaerate from the hotel and operated by the council, I agree with you that especially at night time you don't want to walk on your own through the carpark, our staff is always willing to assist and as you positively highlighted walking guests over to the NCP.
As being a city centre hotel the it can be from time to time noisy, I can always recommend the back facing bedrooms.
Kind Regards,

Travellers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

Leicestershire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

I had a great time at this hotel, do not get me wrong there were a few issues. But hey ho stuff happens. When i told managment everything was sorted. The biggest asset i think this hotel has is a chap valled Radu he is a bar man who works evenings. He was superb he made it very special whilst having drinks he is a too bloke

Stayed April 2014
Dear SP5123,
We always appreciate honest and sincere feedback it helps us improving both product and service.
I am glad to hear that we were able to sort out any issues fast and it didn't have any impact on your stay.
I will share your nice comments with Radu, I'm sure he appreciates it.
See you soon for another great night in Birmingham.
Cork , Ireland
Reviewed 4 April 2014

Having planned our holiday to the UK well in advance, we decided to have all our accommodation sorted out beforehand as for the most of our holiday was spent in relatives houses, and only the final two days in a hotel.

Made the reservation through a third party booking website, for a reasonable price however I decided to email the hotel prior, to request a paid room upgrade. I was informed that it would be £70 extra per night to upgrade to a 1 bedroom suite. We decided to go all out and added this to our reservation.

When checking in it was fast, and surprised to be told that it would only be 70£ for the two nights instead of 140£ for the suite. Happy with this, we started to enjoy our stay already! That was until we got to the room...

The room on first glance, was AMAZING. Stunning views over Birmingham... Lovely living room, Stunning Bedroom and gorgeous bathroom. However, on closer inspection the room was extremely dirty. There was a thick covering of dust on all ledges, shelves and the lamp posts by the bed. The phones were also covered in dust.

Behind the bed, had a layer of dust unlike I had ever seen before, it was literally from my elbow to my wrist high and also behind the TV stand. Disgusted with this, and as my partner suffers from Asthma , she could tell that the room was extremely dusty - I called reception. The lady on reception informed me that she would send someone from accommodation up to inspect the room of the findings.

A lady from accommodation arrived and had a look around the room, and had stated that the room to her seemed fine, that the cabinets and shelves only get a quick wipe with a cloth, and to move the bed and clean it once a week would be too much hassle, she said this was the service that the provided.. I was shocked with this, I dont think much effort is to be had moving a bed once a week to remove a build up of dust! She made us feel so small, and belittled!

She left and I again called reception to inform them that I was not happy with the result of the accommodation member of staffs decision. We were informed that they were sorry, and that the room would be deep cleaned whilst we were out and would be spotless on our return.

We left for a walk around and for dinner, and when we came back we were greeted by Julia, a front desk manager who informed that the room was being finished, and welcomed us to the bar for a complimentary drink to apologise for the room. This was much appreciated.

Went back to the room after a quick drink, and the room indeed was now spotless and smelt freshly cleaned. The dust buildups had been removed, and you could certainly feel it in the air. We were now able to get on with the end of our holiday.

On checkout, we were met again by Julia the front desk manager, who informed us that in fact they were trying to charge for the 140£ on checkout, and was informed that it was 70£ per night to upgrade. I stated to her, on check in this is what we were under the impression but were informed that it was only 70£.

She kindly agree'd not to argue due to the experience, and accepted the 70£ as being paid and settled our bill.

The hotel as mentioned by other reviewers, is extremely overpriced and intends to set its standards of pricing like that of the Hyatt and Crowne Plaza, however it just doesn't deliver the experience of the latter hotels. I doubt we will be staying again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Dear Patrick O,
We are very sorry to hear that the room was not meeting the cleaning standard, I can not apologise enough for this.
We have standard operating procedures in place to ensure the rooms are cleaned and dust free, I can ensure you this will be followed up.
In relation to the upgrade fee I'm pleased we have been able to agree this in the end however it should have been clear for you from the time of arrival, we clearly miscommunicated this.
I thank you for your comments and myself and the team will take these on board and improve our service and quality.
Basingstoke, hampshire
Reviewed 2 April 2014

We stayed here for one night as we were watching a band at the o2. It is literally a 5 minute walk from the o2 and also to resteraunts nearby to eat out so a good location.

Parking is in the NCP car park and the hotel offer discounted rates, I think it cost £14 for 15 hours or so.

Check in wasnt great to be honest as although the lady on reception was trying to be friendly she basically told us we didnt have a booking.. luckily I had bought the confirmation with me and after 10 minutes of hanging around she finally found our booking which was under my OH's name but spelt incorrectly. When we checked the confirmation we had, the name was spelt correctly so they must copy it over when bookings come in and someone had spelt it wrong - a small thing but seeing as it made it such a chore to find our booking perhaps the staff should double check names when completing bookings?

Aside from that the room was very nice, floor to ceiling windows, good TV with lots of channels, really comfortable bed, tea and coffee and we ordered breakfast in our room which was delicious! Not sure why people have complained about the rooms as ours was really nice!
Check out was quick and easy.

I would have scored 5 if check in hadnt been such a headache but I would stay here again if needed as its a small gripe and the hotel itself was very nice.

Room Tip: Take your booking confirmation with you!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear BlondeEM1986,
Many thanks for your review, we really appreciate your comments.
I can imagine the frustration during the check in whilst you have a confirmation, we had recently some staff changes and I am very confident that this will improve very vast.
It's good to hear about your positive experience with the room.
We are looking forward having you as our guest any time soon.
Bromsgrove, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for a night before going to the Hippodrome theatre the next day. Good sized room until the third bed was put in, then it was tricky during the night to get to the bathroom. Towels provided with third bed, good as some places forget. A bit lacking on the tea making side, only Earl Grey until requested normal tea. Restaurant was very good for dinner and breakfast. Handy parking round the corner with special rate for hotel residents.

Stayed March 2014
Dear Richie_F_33,
Many thanks for your recnt stay and highlighting what the Radisson Blu has to offer when visiting the theatre.
Looking forward to your next visit.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 March 2014

stayed here for three nights on business trip, room on 16th floor had a great view, bed was amazing!! huge! nice decor and very nice bathroom. my only niggle would be the fact you basically need your room key for everything whether its lighting or lift usage, sometimes you may forget to bring the card with you..which means you could not use the lift to go up or down etc.
restaurant and breakfast area was lovely and great atmosphere and design.
very nice and friendly staff just what you need to see in the morning smiling staff serving you.
will visit again most definitely. ps great location obviously, near to new street station.

Room Tip: ask for a room high up preferably front facing for a great view. Also gets you even nearer to the fr...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dear sqblock34,
Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor and we are grateful for your positive comments, which I will share with my team.
I can imagine that the need of your room key for everything could be a little bit of a niggle however we like to offer our guest a secure environment what this system definately does, it's very well received by our female business travellers.
See you soon on your next business trip.