“Aweful”

Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham
Ranked #71 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

I'm here now and extremely disappointed at our room- 1204
I stay in Birmingham a few times a year and this should be on a par with the better hotels for the money.

However the room is tired, marks all over the walls and doors, stains on the carpet, the shower doesn't work properly and the hairdryer only blows cold.
I'm not gonna bother complaining I just won't stay here again.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank KittyHP
MPerks, Front Office Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Dear Kitty

I am sorry to hear of the issues that occurred during your stay with us. Just so you are aware we have been slowly refurbishing our rooms and I can see that you did report your issues to the staff at the time. I do hope that the way the staff dealt with the situation was to your satisfaction.

Should you ever wish to come and stay with us again do let me know.

There are newer reviews for Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham

Reviewed 25 May 2014

We went into Birmingham to see a show and decided that we would stay overnight and do some shopping as well.
The staff are polite helpful and friendly. The room was excellent, the bed was first class and the breakfast was pretty good too.
We had a room on the 13th floor and I was expecting it to be very quiet but we did get some unexpected traffic noise, as we live in a very quiet cull de sac we tend to hear noise in hotels more perhaps than the average person.
But we had a great night and I would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Higher floors have less traffic noise, and better views.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear David

Thank you for your lovely feedback! We are glad to know you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 20 May 2014

Twice I have stayed here and both times had excellent service, wonderful room and do not have a bad word to say. Also, the breakfast buffet is the best I've ever had. I would definitely recommend staying here. Also it is very central and the views are beautiful.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
MPerks, Front Office Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2014

Thank you for your lovely feedback which has been shared with the team. It is very much appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel soon.

Reviewed 19 May 2014

We managed to secure a great nightly rate and were excited at the thought of staying at this fairly new and impressive looking Radisson Hotel. The reception staff were superbly helpful and friendly, the rooms large, beds very comfortable and the location really fantastic for shopping (Bull Ring and Mailbox in particular) and for the Hippodrome theatre and gay village which are just 2 minute's walk away.
The reason we rated the hotel as average is on account of the housekeeping. We booked three rooms and every one of them could have done with a good clean. The rooms were the grubbiest I have seen in a hotel for some time and we use hotels quite a lot. Disappointing in what is still quite a new building. Some of the problems are simply down to poor cleaning but not everything can be blamed on the housekeeping staff. Many of the finishes are simply not suitable for commercial use. Odd choice of tiles which must be a nightmare to keep clean. Cheap finishes to the wardrobes and cupboards. None of the furniture has weathered well and the carpets in every room were stained.

Though the location is great, If you are not use to driving around Birmingham a hotel in Broad Street might prove easier to get to and locating the car parks in Broad Street is also easier.

Not sure I would rush back even at a good rate. The Holiday Inn next door with one less star and usually a little cheaper is just as convenient and certainly cleaner.

Room Tip: Be happy to get a clean one....
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Tim & Alan

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay. We are currently going through a planned refurbishment, which does take some time to complete. I have shared your feedback with our Executive Housekeeper to ensure that his staff are retrained in these matters.

We hope that you will come back to visit us soon to see the changes our refurbishment has made.

Reviewed 19 May 2014

Not up to the smart standard I expect of Radisson Blu, business rooms are jaded, with faded and stained carpets and bedding, gym is seldom open, service was variable. It is conveniently located to the New Street station.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Radisson Blu Hotels

Dear Stanton

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. Our hotel is currently undergoing a refurbishment but this does take time. With regards to our gym we are looking into chaning it so that guests will be able to access it 24hrs a day instead of the set times.

I do hope that you will come back again so that you will be able to experience the hotel after the refurbishment.

Reviewed 19 May 2014

I had a very enjoyable stay at the Radisson Blu in connection with an industry dinner for each of the last two years - but now it seems to have aged prematurely, the room was tired and worn, the bathroom particularly grubby, almost third world. Check in was pretty slow and breakfast very disappointing with all the hot options swimming in oil and no fresh fruit on offer. Its a great location and should be the preferred hotel in the area but standards seem to have slipped. The one redeeming feature was a very helpful lady on the check out who enquired had we used the nearby NCP Car Park and availed us of the healthy discount for guests. If I return next year I hope to see evidence of the refurbishment programme

Room Tip: Check out the room first?
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Dear Dec

I was sorry to hear of your dissapointment regarding your recent stay with us. I do hope that you will come back to our hotel soon so that you can see what the rooms look like after our refurbishment.

Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

I had a one night stay on the 16th floor in a standard twin. The refurbishment programme hasn't reached this floor and so fixtures and fittings were tired and grubby in places. Certainly the room needs a coat of paint and some repairs to the ceiling around the vent.

Bathroom smelt damp and was dimly lit to the point where shaving was troublesome.

Wifi wasn't working, I had to get a delegate code. Ice machines on 3 floors weren't working so I gave up.

Breakfast was ok, ingredients of reasonable quality and decent selection.

Staff were all ok, everyone did their job.

This room was equivalent to an Ibis only with less comfortable beds. Not what I expected from the exterior or previous stays at the Radisson Blu brand.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Dear Charlie

Thank you for your feedback and I am sorry to hear that your experience with us did not match your expectations. We are going through a refurbishment which does take time but we hope that you will come back soon so that you can experience the hotel once completed.