“Fantastic bed”

Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham
Ranked #74 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
“Fantastic bed”
Reviewed 6 June 2014

I expected the Radisson Blu to be nice, it's certainly a bit of a landmark in the centre of Birmingham but I didn't expect the quilt and pillows to be so soft and comfy. I get to stay in a lot of hotels with my job and I have to say I was genuinely surprised by the bed. The rest of the room was nice enough, bathroom was clean but beginning to show its age although I think the towels must come from the same company that supplied the duvet and pillows, lovely and thick. The only thing I could find that was a negative was the lack of biscuits, even cheap hotels usually provide a snack or two, but nothing to be had at the Radisson. Had to go and have a sandwich instead.

Room Tip: No real tips but you have to dig deep into the alcoves to find the curtains, a job for which you wil...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
MPerks, Front Office Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Dear Doug

Thank you for your wonderful feedback regarding your stay with us. The housekeeping department will greatly appreciate the comments.

With regards to the biscuits, we are looking into providing our guests with a few extras in the future.

We hope you come back to visit us soon.

Marie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (476)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 3 June 2014

The Blu Radisson brand gives you expectations, especially if you have been in the same hotel in Copenhagen or Oslo.
Problem is: this is an outdated hotel, not in a nice neighborhood and if you have a car is a problem.
Is properly located near the stations, there are venues in the vicinity, but at night does not look good.
Parking is near but it is a public althought not coveniently located.
Quality of the room was good: ten-fifteen years ago.
They need refurbishing like the bathrooms.
Staff was kind and available

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. The hotel is slowly going through a refurbishment in different phases and we hope to have it completed soon. But as with all things it does take time.

We hope that you will come back and give the hotel another chance once our refurbishment is completed.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

Eight storeys up, the sun sparkling on the surprisingly green city of Birmingham made this a stunning view. I can't imagine what it's like looking out over England's second largest city from the top floor, since our room was only about a third of the way up.

It was great value for a one night stay. Everything went smoothly from online booking, to registration to checkout. The decor is modern, everything spotless and the lifts almost jet-propelled.

Its location is ideal, just off the main city centre, towering above a major roundabout on the A38, but without traffic noise. New Street Station is only 200 yards away, with fast and regular links to Birmingham International Airport. The buzzing cultural and leisure areas around the town hall, Conservatoire and Broad Street are within easy walking range, as is the peaceful environs of Birmingham's beautifully-rejuvenated canal quarter.

Value for money, terrific location, easy transport links and a view across a lovely, yet often-maligned city mean that we'd return here whenever the opportunity arises.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for your lovely review, it is greatly appreciated and the staff are happy to hear they were able to make your stay so great.

We look forward to seeing you back here soon!

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Me and my Sister stayed here for the Gay Pride Weekend! 24th + 25th of May! WOW is all I can say! I have to admit I was very nervous about the hotel after I read so many reviews on here that slated the hotel!! We arrived at the hotel earlier than our check in (we contacted the hotel and they had arranged early check in! Free with no hassle) a lady greeted us at the check in desk! Sorry didn't get her name, she was Asian with a headscarf, very friendly and extremely welcoming she checked us in swiftly and with ease please pass on our thanks! Then to the room, it was gorgeous, lovely and clean and the view was breathtaking! The bed was amazing and was so comfortable, the room was massive with lots of space! Room service were great as we were calling them constantly for things such as ice, glasses etc they even brought me a plaster at 3AM!! The cleaner in the morning came in and made our room look gorgeous again, she was so friendly and literally made the room look like it had before we had partied away! We were sad that we had to check out as we had such a good stay!! Ignore the bad reviews, I have stayed at Hyatt several times and I have to say I preferred it here!! The staff were just so friendly! Also a receptionist called Jo was so helpful on checkout and with sorting our bill, I also had a jacket dry cleaned which they dropped straight back at my room! Honestly if you want an amazing experience book here!!! We look forward to staying again soon!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
MPerks, Front Office Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Dear Mr Jordan

Thank you so much for your wonderful feedback! The lady you are referring to with the headscarf is Sofia and I will pass the comments onto her and Jo. I know they will be very happy with the mention and the knowledge they made your stay with us so enjoyable.

We look forward to having your back with us soon.

Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

Booked this last minute, stayed over the weekend from the 30th may till 2nd june & really enjoyed staying here. Had a great check in from Dennis, was quick & prompt. Location of the hotel is perfect for anything & everything, right in the middle of brum. The room was 1305, had a great view of birmingham, room was very nice, only blemish on the weekend was the bad smell in the bathroom regularly, some pipework issues i'm guessing & bathroom was not as clean or as good as i expected, & a very annoying fan sound constantly from the bathroom. To be fair i did not complain so i'm sure they would have sorted it out. All the staff were excellent, service with a smile delivered each time i interacted with the staff! Would definately stay again! Great location & staff!

Stayed May 2014
Dear Omar

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback and your comments have been passed onto Dennis who is very grateful for the positive mention.

Yes, if the issues would have been mentioned the staff would have rectified it immediately for you and I am sorry that these things happened during your stay with us.

We hope that you come back to see us soon!

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Check in took a lot longer than you might expect even though there were only 5 or 6 groups in front of us at the desk but reception was only manned by 2 personnel with a further 2 stood chatting behind the desk. We went as a group so we had booked 3 rooms and when we checked in I asked if we could have rooms next to each other. We managed to get all 3 rooms on the same floor which was a nice surprise and my room was adequate. The size was about right for the price but I would only give it 6/10 for cleanliness as the top of the TV was filthy and some of the tiles in the bathroom were grubby but the bed and towels were all fine. I like that we had an ice bucket in the room as we had a drink before we went out in the evening. We decided to have a meal in the hotel restaurant for convenience and this was the worst experience I have ever had in a restaurant. I could go on about it but the main low points were that we had finished our first drinks and even though we were literally the only people there with about 7 staff we still had to go and ask for more drinks and when we eventually got more drinks the waitress handed a bottle of wine to my friend to open and pour himself. The food was very low quality for the price with the steaks not being cooked as requested - medium well done was still bloody and pink in the middle and was more medium rare and they were very gristly. I ordered the chicken which was the smallest portion of meat I have ever seen but it was quite tasty I have to admit just there wasn't enough of it. The wine, for the price, wasn't great quality and even for a hotel restaurant the other alcoholic drinks were very overpriced. The staff were all grouped together on the far side of the restaurant talking away when we wanted to order more drinks and food and to have 2 courses it took more than an hour and a half. We decided not to order desserts and asked for the bill. When we looked and saw it had a 10% gratuity added we requested for this to be removed (this is the first time I have ever done this in my life) and when they came back with the revised bill the waitress didn't even ask why we wanted to remove it so not only was the service shocking but they didn't seem to care. When we tried to pay by card the machine didn't have a signal at the table so we had to walk to the entrance and pay there instead.
When we came back to the hotel, after a night out, the doors were locked which was fine as this makes sense for security reasons being so central to a lot of the bars. When the night staff opened the door to let us in he didn't even ask to see our keys and just let us walk right in.
Overall I think the hotel is adequate but maybe slightly overpriced and definitely not up to the standard of other Radisson hotels I have stayed in. I would not recommend this hotel to a friend.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Dear David

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. Your comments have been passed onto our F&B manager as I think one of your other party has e-mailed us directly regarding the same matter. We are investigating the issues that your rasied and I would be grateful if you would contact me to further discuss.

Hereford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights as it was central and had stayed with the chain previously. Stayed on 17th floor and had no road noise. My only fault was that the room was not serviced during the stay which meant that we had no tea making essentials for the second day and ran short of toilet rolls

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay. I am sorry to hear that our housekeeping staff did not service your room accordingly. I have passed your feedback onto our head housekeeper to investigate. I hope that this did not mar, what otherwise was a good stay for you.

I do hope that we will see you back again with us in the future.