“Slightly better than a travel lodge!” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham

Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham
Ranked #72 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Kidderminster, United Kingdom
“Slightly better than a travel lodge!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

I was extremley dissapointed with this hotel, I have stayed in many Radisson Blu Hotels and this really did not compare to any of them. Very impressive building and nice reception area but the rooms were very basic and a little dated. The only positive is that the bed was very comfy. I didnt really interact with any staff or have breakfast so wont pass comment.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank LukeGWW
MPerks, Front Office Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Dear Luke

Thank you for taking the time to write your feedback. I am sorry to hear that you stay with us did not live up to your expectations.

We have been going through phases of refurbishment which does take time and we hope that your initial visit will not deter you from staying again with us in the future.

Marie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (461)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Surrey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 1 night and chose this hotel for its location.

First of all there is no parking at this hotel, which we did know, but it's very expensive in the nearby ncp with no discount available for guests.

We were greeted warmly and efficiently upon check-in. Good start. We booked a standard double and were allocated a room on the 5th floor. This being more of a place to crash we were weren't too fussed that it overlooked the car park but we weren't offered the option to upgrade either. Anyway, the room was very tired andbin need to a refresh. The full length mirror was hanging off the wall and I had to push it back on, some of the sockets didn't work and the bed was way too soft.

The communal areas are pleasant and the breakfast was also a good standard with plenty of choice and fresh items... And it's served until noon...Nice!

I think I'd opt to try another city centre hotel on my next trip.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Knieval

Thank you for your recent review. I was glad to read that you enjoyed the services of the hotel and the staff throughout were helpful.

With regards to the rooms, we have been going through phases of refurbishment which does take time and hope that your first impression of us will not deter you to come and visit us again in the future.

Gloucester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

Good hotel located equal distance from Harvey Nics and Selfridges!

Lovely room, quite large and amazing bed!!

Breakfast was fab but evening meal menu could do with a shake up!

Good bar and nice staff.

Disappointed with the 'spa', instead book in to the cube! But book early or you'll miss out!

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Linda

Thank you for your lovely feedback which has been shared with the team here. Do let us know when you will be returning.

We look forward to seeing you in the future.

Oswestry, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

This was a wonderful find, I must say! Me and my boyfriend completely out of the blue decided to take a trip on the train and stay wherever we ended up! We ended up choosing the last stop which was birmingham. I then booked this hotel online, cheaper than the regular price, on a saturday night. I was very excited about how cheap it actually was for an executive suit, compared to a standard room. We arrived at the hotel, it was lovely to have no messing around with signing in! I was greeted by a wonderful Romanian woman who was extremely helpful and friendly. Then for her to reveal that as I have this room, I also get a free breakfast and free movies in my room! The lift its self is a bit fussy and may take you to the wrong floor, which was very worrying for me (as lifts are actually a huge fear of mine), but we got there eventually. The room was big, very well decorated and i couldn't have asked for more. The bathroom was not the nicest, not very modern at all. But the view made up for it! The windows were the size of the wall and when the night fell, it was beautiful. We ordered food to our room too! It was amazing. I had the salmon, which was phenomenal! And my boyfriend had a burger, a very big burger. We also shared a cheese plate, which was very nicely presented and made our night even better. But bare in mind how expensive room service is!!! We also opened up the mini bar to take a look, showing my boyfriend some of the things, I did not notice it was charging me for everything I picked up! So you must be very careful of that and remember to explain the situation when leaving the hotel. But then we get to the breakfast. The breakfast was amazing. It was a buffet, and as a girl who does not eat meat, only fish, I was very pleased. The selection of fruit was amazing, and I couldn't want more. My boyfriend, a very big meat eater, was in his element! The women down there on the other hand, are not very friendly or helpful at all, and I found that very disappointing. But overall a nice stay. The woman who signed me out the next morning was wonderful. As there was a big que of people who were clearly all together, I was put first so I didn't have to wait. Which was very kind of them. Overall I would go again! I enjoyed my stay and have nothing really to complain about.

Room Tip: Executive room was great for views!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kayleigh R
MPerks, Front Office Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Dear Kayleigh

Thank you for your lovely feedback, the Romanian girl you were speaking about is Mirella and she will be very happy to hear of the mention. I have shared your comments with the rest of the hotel which will be taken on board to improve the standards.

Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Stirling, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

Stayed here for a few nights in June to attend a course which was being held in the hotel. I was looking forward to staying here as I'd stayed at the Glasgow Radisson a few years ago and it was lovely. I was really disappointed with this one unfortunately.

Let me start with the positives. It's in a great location. It's about 5 minutes walk from New Street station and about 5 minutes from the Bullring if you're into shopping. I'm admittedly a bit of a nightmare when it comes to directions, but I followed the directions on the website to get from the train station and it was fine. It's also really handy for other city centre activities.

Despite also being very close to the train station etc, I didn't find it noisy at all. My room overlooked the back streets mind you and this may have been why. Other rooms overlook the very busy roundabout just outside the hotel so this may not be the case for all of the rooms.

It also had free wifi which was really useful. Especially after visiting a Marriott hotel and them wanting $15 a day to hook up to their wifi, it was a really welcome change from a lot of these chains trying to charge for it.

Finally, the staff. The interactions I had with all of the staff were great and they really should be commended on their customer service. Genuinely friendly, very helpful and easy to approach. The staff are the only reason this place got 2/5 instead of 1/5!

Now onto the not so good. Well, where do I start. The rooms are so in need of a good refurb, My room had chipped paint on pretty much every painted surface, what looked like bleach stains on the carpet, the carpet was frayed, the table top was chipped, the upholstery was stained. It was just very, very tired and it felt like it wasn't very well looked after. The room was clean, but because of all the chipping/staining etc., it didn't feel that way.

The room was also really strangely set up. My absolute pet hate when it comes to hotels is either a) not enough sockets or b) them being in the wrong place. How hard is it when you're designing a hotel to guess what people are going to be using the sockets for (hairdryers/charging phones etc!). The sockets in this place were in completely weird places! There was a desk which faced into the wall which had two sockets, which makes sense for laptops etc.. but there was no mirror there which would've been handy to do your hair etc.. The hairdryer was in a cupboard with one socket in there, and you pretty much had to sit in the cupboard if you wanted to blow dry your hair whilst using a mirror! It was a complete pain. There was no sockets near the bed (handy for plugging in mobile) and the other socket was inside the no-door wardrobe - which again was a) no where near anything useful like a desk or a mirror and b) didn't work!!!

Other issues with the room were that two of the TV channels were missing. May seem trivial but being there alone I wasn't really out and about at night so would've been helpful to have had more choice. The pay as you go movies were really expensive in my opinion - £4.95 each - which would've been fine if they were new releases but half of them I already had on DVD at home (and might have paid less for!) and the kettle didn't work. Again, may seem like a small thing but on top of the other stuff it was just another thing that went against this hotel.

They also took towels when cleaning without replacing them and also didn't leave me a breakfast card to order breakfast the following day on my last night, and so I had to call 3 times before someone appeared with one.

The food was okay but room service really slow. They also mucked up my order one night and I ended up waiting over an hour to eat. I also ordered something from the menu which came using different ingredients as to what was shown in the menu.

Lastly, I stayed there 3 nights and 2 of the nights my key card stopped working! The first night I was collecting ice and had left my room with no shoes on as it wasn't far, and couldn't get back into my room. Luckily there was a phone at the ice station so I was able to call down and someone came up and replaced it very quickly and the following night I was at the Bullring and came back with some shopping bags. Got into the lift (you have to use your card to access the guest floors) and it had been deactivated again - very annoying!

The public areas are much nicer - the room my course was in was very light and modern however the AC was broken so they had random coolers plonked about the room which were very noisy and the restaurant was also nice.

All in all my company paid close to £600 for me to stay here for 3 days and there is absolutely no way I would pay anywhere near that to stay again. It would maybe be okay for one night but there's loads of other hotels close by so I'd consider going to one of them instead.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to write your review of your recent stays. I am sorry to see that there were so many issues that you had encountered and ask that you contact me directly so that I am able to discuss the issues that you had.

I look forward to hearing from you soon

Marie

Travellers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

Tired decor and shabby interiors. Breakfast was a good spread with decent coffee and the food in the lobby bar was pretty good. Bed was mushy as were the pillows. Bathtub was so slippery that the provided mat barely helped. No outlets near the beds made it a little annoying to use my phone as an alarm as I typically do. Overall not a fan!

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank sarahmstephens
Dear Sarah

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay. I am sorry to hear that your stay did not live up to your expectations. Our rooms are going through a refurbishment which is being carried out in different phases which can take some time.

We hope that this stay will not deter you from visiting us again in the future.

Worcester, UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

I booked to stay here in order to see a show at the nearby Alexander Theatre. The Penn & Teller show on 16 June was excellent. The hotel was not.

We booked a suite and found our self in room 1503 on the 15th floor. On the positive side the suite was large and spacious with floor to ceiling windows. Tea, coffee and toiletry supplies were generous.

On the negative side there was everything else.

The suite looked like an office. Large, bare walls with no art work to break up the monotonous colour scheme. The chairs and settee were all stained. I shall not ponder with what. The room had 2 TVs but only 1 remote control. A remote control isn’t up to the task if you have to walk into another room to collect it.

We found the ironing board but there was no iron. The hotel guide proudly tells you to use their “one call” service who would attend to any issues whether that is, room service, problems with the room, restaurant booking etc. I rang. After 15 minutes without an answer I ventured down to reception. I didn’t fancy waiting in a queue of 28 people (I counted them) waiting to see reception. I’d just returned to the room and the fire alarm went off. So I walked down the fire escape from the 15th floor in a creased shirt.

The following day opening the curtains to be confronted by several workmen in a hoist outside the window. Granted, I wasn’t wearing any clothes but I didn’t expect that to be a problem 15 stories up.

Breakfast was a pretty average buffet with several dishes that had been kept warm too long.

I would not stop here again and would advise others to avoid it.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mandy-Lifeboats
Dear Mandy

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recently stay with us. I am sorry to hear that your experience did not live up to your expectations. I do think that you have contacted us directly as well regarding your stay, and we have been investigating the issues that you faced.

With regards to the queue at the reception desk, the staff were working their hardest to make sure every guest was attended to quickly and promptly but sometimes it can take a bit longer depending on the person.

The window works, we were not informed of the work being carried out as some of the work pertains to the apartments and can only again apologise for the embarrassment that was caused.

My colleague should be replying directly to yourself as well and should you have any other queries please do let her know. I do hope that this occurrence will not deter you from visiting us again in the future.