Conference Aston Hotel
  • Breakfast included
    • Breakfast included
    • Bar/Lounge
    Great 4.5/5
    All reviewsuniversity campusbusiness schoolcity centrecar parksingle roomtesco expresshot drinkscomfortable roomgreat roombusiness tripenjoyed my stayironing boardgerman marketwould stay againbeansstayed here for one nighttea and coffee
    FilterAll languages
    Reviewed 2 July 2014

As part of a conference this accommodation was recommended. For £90 I had booked a hotel room, with wifi, TV, tea and coffee making facilities, in the newly reopened hotel. But I, and my fellow delegates have been shocked to find we are in student flats, with basic facilities, no TV, no wifi and no drinks making facilities. On complaining the 'manager' produced one implausible excuse after another (including making my administrator out to be a liar). This is hospitality at Aston? Not the experience the website says you will get! DO NOT BOOK A ROOM HERE. It is clear they are over booking the hotel to use the cheap accommodation. This is duplicitous and a con. They know that within 10 minutes walk there are a number of 4 star hotels with rooms available for less than £90. This is unrated accommodation for a ridiculous price. Please save your money and book elsewhere.

• Stayed: July 2014
    3  Thank Nvrsheffield
    Reviewed 13 June 2014

I stayed here last week for a business conference for one night.
    It was very nice.
    The room was spacious and clean and was adequate.
    The staff is where this hotel shines. The waitresses who were serving our evening meals (To 160 of us) were friendly and smiling and very helpful) Then the next morning when I went for breakfast at 6am, the same girls were there again, still smiling!
    The food was tasty and served hot, which is such a bonus. The breakfast was very good and lots of choice.
    If any friends needed accommodation in Birmingham I would recommend this hotel.
    We went to the pub over the road (Gosta Green Pub), after our dinner ended, they were very friendly and served us until 3am, we had a brilliant night, lol)

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
    1  Thank tracy80bristol
    Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed here on a Sunday/ Monday business event. As mentioned by others, the accommodation is along dormitory lines, but imagine that at a good Travelodge standard.

The room was clean, smart, had all the standard Freeview channels, and the breakfast was well presented. Phenomenely fast free wifi, I downloaded a 550mb BBC iPlayer programme, in under 10 minutes.

The bathroom is small, but perfectly servicable, and the shower was lovely.

In conclusion, I wouldn't have picked this hotel myself, but having stayed here, it's difficult to criticise the offering. The conference facility was very good too and I'd recommend that.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
    Reviewed 31 May 2014

I stayed here for seven days on business earlier this month and have to say that on balance I really didn't enjoy myself. Many of the staff were exceptional, and certainly did their best to deal with some of the issues but the accumulation of them leaves me very reluctant to advise people to stay there.

First, the positives. Room on the face of it really nice, dual aspect, separate office section and modern decor. Staff bent over backwards to be helpful, and were able to solve most of the problems that arose quickly and professionally. The building itself was fresh and modern.

Now, the less pleasant bits:-

1. Location. Unless you know the area very well it's almost impossible to find the parking facilities for the hotel. The sat nav takes you to within 100 yards of it but the whole area is pedestrianised so you have to drive around the outskirts of the university campus where you eventually find the parking. A very helpful receptionist directed me by telephone but I arrived frustrated and bemused. A quick read of other reviews confirms this is a well-known issue...so what don't they sort it? It's also worth pointing out that it's too close to the city centre for a hassle free drive in and out and too far away from it to easily walk in.

2. Noise. The Saturday night of my stay was punctuated by horrendous noise from a nightclub across the street...the room was literally shaking and closing the windows (which barely open) made no difference. This started around 6pm with the testing of their sound system and then kicked off into deafening constant noise from around 10:00pm onwards. All chance of a relaxing evening was lost. To be fair the staff moved me to another room at the other side of the building for the evening and I suppose the noise is beyond their control, but it's outrageous that it was so loud at all and that nothing could be done about it. If you intend to stay at a weekend...well, be warned!

3. Smell. There was a horrendous smell coming from the bathroom. Admittedly this was sorted the next day but I don't understand how it could have been classed as clean by whoever supervises the housekeeping.

4. Temperature. There's no air conditioning and even in mid-May this meant that the room was too hot...too much waking up in the middle of the night to be fresh for meetings the next day.

5. The 'gym'. Basically it's access to the university sports centre (and I think it's also used by general members of the public). It was just too fiddly to use. You need a voucher from the hotel reception for every visit and have to take the towel from your room with you (and woe betide you if you don't because the signs and staff at the sports centre make it very clear you'll not be welcome without the towel being carried at all times). There is a raft of paperwork to complete and funny little ways of doing thinks that reminded me of the Brittas Empire (showing my age!). The pool shuts too early to be of any use at all after a day of work, and there are separate wet and dry changing areas so using the gym and the sauna involves all manner of cafuffle. I went once and didn't bother after that.

Other colleagues staying for the same meetings were delighted with city centre hotels. I wish I had done the same. Yes, there were good parts to the place, but unless they address the clear issues then I won't be back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room as far away from the nightclub as possible!
    • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
    1  Thank mrcrangle
    Paul B, Public Relations Manager at Conference Aston Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to feedback on your experience with the hotel, I am pleased to hear that your feedback on the team is so positive and have ensured that this is passed on.

I'm sorry to hear that other areas of your stay fell so short of expectation, we are always looking to improve our guests' experience and take all of the feedback we receive into our planning and development across the hotel.

We have further plans to introduce signage around the outskirts of the campus later this year, once the final stage of refurbishment of the Aston campus has been completed in September and hopefully make the new permanent signage more visible and easy to follow for our conference and hotel guests. We aim to assist guests with transport to the city centre wherever possible, so for those who don't wish to take the ten minute walk or short drive to Bullring, we have taxi ranks on the campus to avoid the hassle of parking. We appreciate that some of the other city centre hotels are based closer for those who prefer a quicker, easier journey.

I'm sorry for the noise issue during your stay, please be assured this is not a regular occurrence, but I appreciate this does not negate from the inconvenience caused during your stay. I am pleased to hear the team were able to offer you an alternative room to attempt to help alleviate the noise issues from the night club. This is not a regular weekend club offering where noise issues are so prevalent for hotel guests, but unfortunately the venue is not a part of Conference Aston, so we are unable to directly influence the larger special events, as on this occasion, which seldom take place. There are longer term plans which will see the nightclub relocated.

Our housekeeping team are very vigilant with regards to standards of cleanliness and investigate any instances such as the smell you encountered in your bathroom. Please rest assured that the smell was not linked to the cleanliness of the room.

We do try to ensure our guests' comfort during the summer through other means, however, we take all of the feedback regarding room comfort on board to ensure any future refurbishments take this into account to look at the option of a more eco-friendly cooling system if possible.

I will ensure your feedback regarding the use of the sports centre is also taken into account as we look at the services available to our hotel guests. As we are able to offer an extensive gymnasium, instead of a smaller in-hotel gym, guests do have to fill out a few details, the same way they would should they be visiting a Virgin Active gym or similar commercial gym. As you quite rightly mentioned, the gym is a members' gym, so it operates to ensure guests are using the facilities safely and to ensure support is provided as needed.
    The pool is usually open in an evening until between 7pm or 8pm most nights of the week. I'm sorry to hear it was closed early during your stay, we will look to ensure we advise guests more effectively should the pool be unavailable outside of the advertised times. As our sports centre is a listed Victorian building, we are limited on internal configurations to provide one large central changing facility due to the location of the original pool and sports hall. The facilities were fully refurbished two years ago, whilst restoring as many of the original features as possible, so although there are separate areas, they are quite new and well maintained for guests using them.

I appreciate your experience has left you somewhat uncertain as to whether you would wish to return, but I can assure you we are working on the areas of feedback you have left and hope you may return in the future to see that we are always taking feedback on board and acting on it.

Reviewed 20 May 2014

Stayed here as part of a conference, loud music til midnight. Couldn't shut windows-jammed and too hot in room!!Reception not interested, barely apologised! Impossible to find, not even labelled when standing right outside it. Swimming pool shut on evening I stayed-useless!

Room Tip: Stay some where else
    • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
    2  Thank Stayathome69

Thank you for your feedback, I am sorry to hear that your stay at the hotel fell short of expectation, this is certainly not the standard that we would hope to deliver.

I have passed on your comments to the appropriate teams to ensure we are providing a responsive and helpful service should such issues arise for guests staying in the hotel and try to resolve them there and then. Where possible, we will always try to accommodate guests in an alternative room, should there be a problem with their room. We will endeavour to ensure this is consistently the case in the future.

We are constantly reviewing the signage around the hotel to meet the needs of our guests and will take your comments on board in this area as well as we make further additions to the hotel signage.

Again, our apologies that the services you encountered fell short of expectation. We do take all of the feedback we receive on board and hope that you may reconsider staying at the hotel again where I hope we can significantly improve on your previous visit.