“great for a show”

Ranked #37 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
norwich
“great for a show”
Reviewed 5 July 2011

My wife & I stayed at this hotel for a Neil Diamond show at the N E C (someones got to).We have stayed at several "premiers" in the past & this one has the frendliest staff we have come across.The food was O K & the breakfast was very good.It is very convenient for the N E C & although you could walk to the venue a cab will cost £5.40 (black cab).We used a local taxi firm who charged us £8 to get there, so we recommend that you fix the price before you get in otherwise you will get ripped off.

2 Thank barry l

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (230)
Newcastle upon tyne
Reviewed 4 July 2011

Definately the best Premier inn i have visited,staff very friendly, food in the restaurant was excellent and the all u can eat breakfasts were fantastic.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank billyg240
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 July 2011

Blue badge parking limited and not checked had to walk 100 metres on return at night

2 Thank donnyman047
West Midlands
Reviewed 3 July 2011

Warm welcoming staff. Very hospitable, excellent customer service. Rooms clean & tidy. Good location near airport / airport parking / NEC.

2 Thank GlobetrotterKat
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 July 2011

This is the gist of my comments left on their customer service survey:

Mould on tiles. Noise from adjacent bedroom - seems it must have been a family type room but the guy in the next bedroom coughed all night. Drilling started at 8.35 am and I could hear a workman talking to someone on his mobile phone just outside my window - very annoying!!

The starter arrived within 5 mins but I had to wait 20 mins for the main course. It was supposed to be rump steak but resembled nothing like any rump steak I have eaten before and it is anyones guess from what animal it came from. I asked for English mustard but was given French, I again asked for English and some sort of greeny slime was brought to the table, if this was English mustard it was many years past it's use by date. I rejected this and the meal.

I would question from what animal was the rump steak? Very poor and very slow service. I would perhaps be prepared to pay £22 for a meal deal if the quality was improved.

On my first stay I ordered a pint of Boddingtons from an unsupervised trainee member of staff, the pint glass contained approx 50% liquid and 50% froth. I had to ask her to have my glass topped up and when it was it wasn't much better. I again asked her to top it up and she said she would get one of the girls to do it. 10 mins later this hadn't happened and I spoke to a man who I believe was the bar/restaurant manager. He replied that it was supposed to be like that. So Boddingtons supply cloudy fobbing beer to you do they? Perhaps a lesson in pipe cleaning is required?

I had booked a room with a double bed but it was a twin-bedded room. I went to the reception and was told some of the double rooms had been changed to twin-bedded ones. Eventually I did get a room with a double room but had to lug my luggage from the old room to the new one and no offer of help was made.It seems to me that because I was a single traveller you felt as though you could change my reservation willy-nilly without asking me? However, I did receive a phone call the day before asking me if I was going to have a meal in the restaurant; if you can do that why not ask me at the same time if it was ok to change my reservation details? My reply would have been no and if you were unable to comply with the double room request I would not have stayed but have just driven straight home.

Do not leave untrained people behind the bar. Get more kitchen staff. Do not change booking details without asking customers if it is ok to do so. Close the entire hotel or at least that wing when noisy maintenance work is being carried out.

Stop being so greedy and stop looking to make every possible penny from your hotel, at least have the decency to take travellers situation condition into your equation. I was very tired on both times I stayed with you and I could have done without the experiences I encountered.

It was very clearly advertised in the public areas and the bedrooms that wi-fi was £3 per 24 hours so how cane it be free?!
I haven't completed a survey for you before and I am not sure if am going to be given the opportunity to make a further comment. I was astonished to see some customers eating a Chinese take-away at the bar and then sitting at one of the tables in the bar.

Room Tip: Check what sort of room you are getting
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Aretheybothered
Premier_Inn, Online Guest Relations at Premier Inn Birmingham Nec/Airport Hotel, responded to this review, 4 July 2011
Thank you for your review. At Premier Inn it remains our main objective to provide guests with a comfortable stay and deliver a high level of service in all our establishments, both in our hotels and restaurants. We sincerely apologise that on this occasion we failed provide this. Please be assured that your comments will be duly followed up by Guest Relations and the Management Team at this hotel. We hope to welcome you back to Premier Inn in the future.
Mansfield
Reviewed 2 July 2011

We used the Premier Inn to stay for a night and then leave our car for the week as we went on holiday. As usual for Premier Inn, we had a very comfortable room with plenty of space and lovely comfy bed and spotless bathroom. Food and service in the restaurant was great and when you leave your car it stays in their car park - it isn't moved elsewhere. Taxi to the airport cost £6. We will definitely stay here again when using the airport.

2 Thank dukieboy
Billingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 July 2011

Excellent service from all staff, rooms a good size, bathrooms spotless, and the organisation of the taxi service to and from the LG arena was second to none.

Room Tip: Room at rear - didn't hear any undue noises
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends